Review: Who played who in european WC and EC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Gibraldo, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    there are currently 55 nations in UEFA.
    I created a table counting how often they had been drawn together in the same world cup or euro qualifying.

The most frequent encounter is between England and Poland. Their paths crossed 9 times.

I was quite surprised, that there were well established teams that had not been drawn together at least once.

among the noteworthy, i checked for even more specialty and thereby found which teams never played each other:
    • Hungary and Scotland
    • Greece and Rep. of Ireland
    • Turkey and Bulgaria
    • Iceland and Italy
    • Belgium and Malta
    • Cyprus and Finland
    • Wales and France
    • Norway and Israel
    ... didn't had any single competitive match, no Nations League, no qualifier, no finals - only friendlies.

Attached Files:

Risto234, Metropolitan and Chesco United repped this.
  2. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Interesting.

So France and Denmark have never played in the same qualifying group. However they were drawn 7 times together in the final stage of both competitions.

Euro 1984
    Euro 1992
    World Cup 1998
    Euro 2000
    World Cup 2002
    World Cup 1998
    World Cup 2022

3. Risto234

Risto234 Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Tallinn
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    This sure is intresting table :)

Looked that we havent played following teams in european/world cup qualifiers:
    Albania, Azerbaijan, Denmark, Finland, France, Georgia, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Montenegro, Norway and Poland ...

And faced following teams 3+ times:
    Andorra, Belgium, Bosnia, Belarus, Croatia, Italy, Lithuania, Holland, Portugal, Scotland and Slovenia ...

EURO2024 qualifiers draw is in october i think so it is probably sure now which teams i would rather want to see and which to avoid at all costs ...