who knew Donovan was on such a short list of elite players?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by sequeira16, Oct 24, 2003.

1. sequeira16

sequeira16 New Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    The article is about Raul, but check out the 7th position on the list at the bottom of the page. of course, he won't stay on here for long once the MLS season winds down and europe heats up. For the non spanish speakers, the list is the top goalscorers in the world, both club and country results are included. i wonder what date they use as the starting point though.

http://www.realmadrid.com/web_realm...icia.jsp?idnoticia=39565&sec=1&subsec=0&esp=2

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Its probably just this year. But I am kinda shocked he is so high.

3. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has to be something more to the criteria for that list. For instance, Taylor Twellman and Carlos Ruiz both have 15 goals domestically. It can't be lack of national team goals, because all 9 of Marcelo Delgado's are for Boca Juniors.

4. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    national team appearances...

5. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big deal, even Emile Heskey could have scored against Cuba.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's total goals scored for clubs in international competition, and for national teams, in the last year. Donovan has 9 total... 7 for the United States, and 2 for the Quakes in continental club competitions. Supposedly. I can only find record of him scoring once in the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

In other news... MLS needs to sign Wai Lun Au now!!! 10 goals for Hong Kong in the last year! And Hong Kong haven't been shut out all year - this guy must be part of the reason!

(Let's conveniently ignore the fact that the best opposition they've faced all year are Singapore, ranked 102nd... and the fact that he probably grabbed a lot of those goals when Hong Kong thrashed Mongolia 10-0 and Guam 11-0...)

7. sequeira16

sequeira16 New Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    i alluded in my post to a starting date. what i assume is that they pick some date as the start of the new "season", some point probably very close to when all the major leagues in europe start. i believe germany started first, and i think italy was one of the last leagues to start. i'm too lazy to look them all up, but i assume that if that date was, say, sept 6, then they would track all club and international tallies worldwide from sept. 6 through the end of the current season, which will end sometime in may. taylor twellman isn't on the list because although he has 15 goals, he has been injured largely through the last quarter of the season (maybe longer, i didn't follow it that closely to know when exactly his first injuries occurred) while donovan has gone through a scoring spurt at the end of the season. i'm just curious what that date is.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read it again. Taylor Twellman isn't on the list because, although he has 15 goals, all of them were in domestic competition.

Donovan's tally is apparently 7 for the Nats and 2 in the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

9. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    January 1 - December 31

That CONCACAF champions cup was this summer wasn't it? On the IFFHS website (i'm not lazy) it simply says "The World's Top Goal Scorer 2003." (with an as-of date at the bottom: 10/23) To me this implies calendar year 2003, Jan. - Dec. Otherwise it would say "2003/04," right? Take as further evidence the fact that by this list Raul has scored 6 for Real Madrid, but from September Real has only played 3 games in the CL and Raul, though good, has not been that good. They must include his tally from the latter stages of "last year's" competition, played this past winter and spring.

So yeah, with UEFA competitions just heating up and the USMNT off until January 2004, LD should drop way on down this list.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People love to say these kind of things, but the fact of the matter is nobody else scored like that against Cuba...or the Cuba's of the world. Give him a break. Why can't we FOR ONCE be happy that we've got an American who can be recognized as a top scorer in the world....if only for a short time. Why is it so hard to give him his due?

11. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Where was his 5-goal barrage against mighty Liechenstein?

12. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken. :(

13. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That can't be why he's not on the list, because there's a Boca Juniors player whose goals were all domestic, none international.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ever hear of the copa libertadores?

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, Liechtenstein is better than Cuba.

With that said, Heskey still sucks...

16. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Because he's not very good.

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No... scoring for Boca Juniors doesn't always mean scoring in the Argentine league. There's the Copa Libertadores, and probably other international competitions that the club was involved in.

18. alexia_donovan

alexia_donovan New Member

Aug 9, 2003
    USA
    because...they are jealous and because they know he's good! they will never admit it though...:D

ALEXIA

19. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cuba would beat Liechtenstein.

20. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes (marginally) more sense. I don't really think there's anything to be gained from doing some kind of player comparison on that basis -- Libertadores and the other cups are a high level of competition, to be sure, but it's a completely arbitrary standard that some domestic matches would meet as well -- but I can at least see why they might do it that way.