Who is the greatest TV star of all time?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by superdave, Feb 8, 2020.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, if we're going to talk about this, I have to define the terms. The key thing is, you have to have been a big star on a big show, AND had other success. And we're talking OTA or basic cable shows only.

Lucille Ball had a monster, monster hit as the centerpiece of I Love Lucy, and some success with other iterations of the same concept.

Bill Cosby was a star in I, Spy, which only ran 3 years. He was the driving force behind Fat Albert. Then he was the main star in The Cosby Show, and the main star in Cosby, which was not too successful but ran 4 seasons. He'd be an excellent choice.

But my choice (without doing an exhaustive search; this thread was mainly inspired by the Good Place finale) is Ted Danson. He was the centerpiece of Cheers, which popularize if not pioneered a) sitcoms used to tell long stories and b) the sitcom cliffhanger. He kept a rom-com going after the other half of the rom part left the show. He failed in a sitcom he did with Mary Steenburgen whose name I forget, but then had decent success with Becker. He stepped into CSI and kept it rolling. He was on Damages. He was part of The Good Place. And while not OTA, he has been on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Can anyone beat that?

PS...honorable mention to Richard Belzer, who played the same character on, God, how many shows? Wikipedia says 10. See how many you can name? I could only think of 4 from the list, but I think they missed one.

Show Spoiler

Homicide: Life on the Street, Law & Order, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, and 30 Rock); (The X-Files and Arrested Development); (The Beat); (The Wire) Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Wikipedia lists an appearance in character on Jimmy Kimmel Live but I think that's cheating. OTOH, wasn't he on The Simpsons?

Ismitje repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is it cheating if I go with Norman Lear?

3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    How about the Irish guy Aiden Gillen who most notably plays Petyr Barlish (Little Finger) in Game of Thrones , Tommy Carcetti in The Wire and Aberama Gold in Peaky Blinders .

Also starred in things like The Dark Knight Rises , Piorot , Law and Order and Queer as Folk

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honorable mention to Scott Bakula, who starred in three hour-long shows which each lasted at least four seasons (Quantum Leap, Star Trek Enterprise, and currently NCIS New Orleans). He would be just a genre actor like Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver, Stargate SG-1) but he broke through to a cop show instead of just sticking with science fiction.

Goodsport and superdave repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought of him, but each of those shows is about the Becker/The Good Place level. He has no Cheers.

Patricia Heaton has a shot if her new show stays on the air for a long time. Everybody Loves Raymond was a big hit, if no Cheers, and The Middle was pretty successful as well.

Smurfquake repped this.
  6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Andy Griffith, a TV star in long-running shows that together spanned a career of three decades (60s, 80s & 90s).

But I have to give it to Bill Shatner.

The first and iconic Trek captain for three TV seasons and a bunch of movies.

Sliding over patrol car hoods in the 1980s. Then an unexpected but terrific TV comeback in the noughties with his Denny Crane on Boston Legal.

Auriaprottu, Len, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    None of those so far gets close to my guy ;)

The Wire , Peaky Blinders and Game of Thrones !!

Come on !!!

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Movies are not TV. If "Shit My Dad Says" had become a hit, though, Shatner would be in the conversation.

It's hard to judge Star Trek...it only ran 3 years IIRC; it was not a success. But its cultural influence is obviously enormous.

sitruc repped this.
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don Knotts, perhaps?

He played a large part in most of two huge TV hit shows (The Andy Griffith Show and Three's Company) and played a recurring role in a later hit show (Matlock), but did he let too much time pass in between shows to keep his name consistently in the public eye during that time?

-G

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or perhaps Michael Landon, who starred in three TV hit shows that, when lined up consecutively, ran almost non-stop for three decades (Bonanza from 1959 to 1973, Little House on the Prairie from 1974 to 1983, and Highway to Heaven from 1984 to 1989), and who also appeared on the cover of TV Guide 22 times (second only to Lucille Ball)?

-G

Ismitje, superdave and Smurfquake repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    James Garner should also be in the conversation. Two iconic TV shows in two different eras of TV (Maverick & The Rockford Files) as well as a very respectable movie career. I guess he just lacks the third credit that matches his first two big TV gigs?

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I attempted to give this more thought and come up with something different and still failed. I was going to throw out Damon Wayans or the entire family for something out of left field and then couldn't stop thinking about Sherman Hemsley which brought me back to Norman Lear.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was trying to think of people on Cosby shows while not thinking about him. Then the answer was obvious after I got to A Different World. Cree Summer.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first candidate that is making me really think. Bonanza was kinda sorta before my time. LHOP was a massive hit with females of my generation. HtoH, how big of a hit was that?

But yeah, Michael Landon is a great call. The key part of a pretty big hit, a 2ndary character on a 14 year run, and the key part of a minor hit (HtoH.)

Goodsport repped this.
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that Michael Landon also wrote and directed a few episodes of Bonanza, and then was the executive producer, a writer and a director for the other two shows. :)

-G

russ repped this.
  16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Richard Dean Anderson is another one who probably lacks a third big credit apart from MacGyver & Stargate?

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jackie Gleason had his own TV show before or around the same time as The Honeymooners, as did Jim Backus before Gilligan's Island.
    Larry Hagman was a co-star in I Dream Of Jeannie and Dallas. Leonard Nimoy as Spock and Paris should get an honorable mention. Ronny Howard pretty much WAS Happy Days (well, him and the Fonz), but he wasn't THE role on tAGS.

Biggest is probably Lucille Ball, with William Shatner in second, and Michael Landon and Andy Griffith battling for third. FWIW, The Lucy Show was actually funnier than I Love Lucy, but since it was a daytime show, you could only see it during the summer or if you were sick.

Greatest? Cos, for effectively playing different kinds of roles, one of which was voice only, and he voiced several of the Cosby Kids, maybe all of 'em except Russell, whose voice hadn't changed. Lucy was always funny, IIRC. Shatner on Boston Legal is like David Caruso as Horatio Caine. It's a horrible role and he should be docked points for it.

I'd say so.
    Lear's shows made stars, but he wasn't a star himself.

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think she'd unseat Lucy, but I'm surprised Mary Tyler Moore got no mentions here. She was as big a star as most people who did. Carroll O'Connor (who was clearly the biggest star of two yuge shows) as well.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    3 shows if you count the spinoff of All in the Family he did.

Belgian guy and Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just popping in to propose Mary Tyler Moore.

I think Julia Louis Dreyfus is a good candidate: Seinfeld, New Adventures of Old Christine, and Veep.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, how about Johhny Carson? :)

-G

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Same here. In addition to acting, her studio, MTM Enterprises, did her show and all the spin-offs (Rhoda, Phylis, Lou Grant) as wells as WKRP In Cincinatti, St. Elsewhere, and Hill Street Blues, among others.

Hmm.

Ed Asner has a ton of work: co-star in a groundbreaking workplace sitcom which spins off into a lead role in a drama. Starts as a reliable character actor on Naked City and Route 66 (where he shares a cop car with Bruce Dern in his own first credited experience), and is still ********ing working, mostly as a reliable character actor. So, maybe not a star, but one hell of a prescence.

23. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Me too for Mary Tyler Moore. Really.

And I was going to use the spin off angle as well.

Or going another way, the guy who.plays Victor Newman on the Young and the Restless has been doing the.role for 40 years. That has to.count for.something.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    David Canary played TWO guys on one of the biggest soaps of all time after he put in his shift on the Ponderosa...

Smurfquake and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    And Jim Backus was the voice of Mr. Magoo.