Who is the greatest player to have ever worn the red shirt?

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by israbeckham, Sep 1, 2007.

1. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I know! Thats so true

2. barthez4

barthez4 Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Um, he was very technically skilled.

My vote goes to Massimo Taibi.

3. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Yeah it always bothers me when people say, "he wasn't the most technical player..." The announces did it during the game on Saturday.

He was quite technical. Could pass the ball and tackle. Knew how to get a goal in his prime. I think his engine and attitude for some reason cause people to overlook his skill.

4. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard for me to evaluate the oldies, since I haven't been around too long. However, Sir Bobby Charlton remains an active face of Manchester United to this day, and he's the one United legend who I never saw play live but who I feel like I "know". For that personal reason, he would get my vote.

During the past few years and in my own time, Roy Keane has been the face of United. His leadership on the pitch was . . . palpable; you could see the way he affected our players and the others as well. We still have a gap in on- and off-pitch leadership which doesn't look to be filled any time soon. I doubt I'll see such a strong presence which is United through and through for many years to come. Keane's passion as our captain was truly inspiring, and one hopes that his story with United still has many chapters remaining.

5. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is a question that to be honest, there will never ever be a single definitive answer to. "Who was the best player to ever don the red shirt" - it's impossible to say really because each era throws up great, great, players. United has 129 years of history, and even back in those new and formative years, there were great players in their own right.

How many of you know of Harry Stafford and the part that he played in the Club both as a player and as an administrator, and of helping stave off its extinction?

The team that brought the first glory years to United between 1905 - 1913 had some wonderful players amongst them - especially that famed half back line; Duckworth, Roberts, and Bell. As good as anything United have produced apparently. Also in that team were Billy Meredith, Sandie Turnbull, Georgie Wall, George Stacey - all truly great players in their own right. Two Championships and our First FA Cup in 4 years.

In the 20's there was two huge players at the Club - Frank Barson (what a character!) and Joe Spence as well as "Lol" Hilditch (the first man to play for and also manage United).

The 40's and 50's gave us Carey, Rowley, Pearson, Mitten, Gregg Byrne, Foulkes, Edwards, Taylor, Viollet and Pegg.

The 60's we had Charlton, Law, Best, Crerand, Stiles, Dunne.

There are a litany of great, great, great players that have worn that famous old red shirt.

It's hard to differentiate between any of them because they all made such huge contributions to Manchester United.

If I was really pushed however to be only able to name one player - it would certainly have to be Edwards. The reason being that he is the only COMPLETE ALL ROUND PLAYER that I have ever seen. The difference between him and all the others is that you could play him ANYWHERE in the team, and his contribution and impression upon a game would be enormous - from anywhere.

It's so difficult to nominate just one player because as I have said, Manchester United have been blessed with so many - that's why we are so lucky to support the club that we do.

6. Gino Franconni

Gino Franconni Red Card

Sep 1, 2007
    Solvang
    Manchester United are my favorite English team. I even pull for them when they go up against Italian teams believe it or not. The club has such a rich history with so much class to boot. It's very difficult to say who is the greatest Uited player but I would have to say Sir Bobby. Some here might disagree but that's my pick.:)

7. Shrapnac

Shrapnac Member

Feb 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    It would probably be best to break this down by era or decade. It's pretty much impossible to pick one player at United and say he was the best.

8. Gino Franconni

Gino Franconni Red Card

Sep 1, 2007
    Solvang
    Good point ...

I picked Sir Bobby based on the fact he was a great player for United in more than one era if you think about it. mid to late 50's, the 60's & into the early 70's. We don't see great players' like that today staying at one club for so long. not many anyway.:)

9. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

DING DING DING!
    I found the Busby Babes:D

10. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    errr we'll kinda :rolleyes:

11. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Best is best

12. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Beckham... followed closely by Richardson, and then Kleberson in 3rd

13. Gino Franconni

Gino Franconni Red Card

Sep 1, 2007
    Solvang

Beckham??? Are you sick in the head??? You have got to be kidding. Beckham had his moment's with United but others' from his same era there burned much brighter. You should check your healthcare coverage. Maybe there's a clause in there for shock treatment. You need some ... Fast!:eek:

14. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    lol Gino does it again!
    You dont understand when people use sarcasm... and if you actually took my post seriously, then you have a problem with Beckham being first, but no problem with Richardson being 2nd and Kleberson 3rd?!?!?!

15. Gino Franconni

Gino Franconni Red Card

Sep 1, 2007
    Solvang
    So sorry. I just thought you forgot to take your meds' again. No harm, no foul.:rolleyes:

16. Gino Franconni

Gino Franconni Red Card

Sep 1, 2007
    Solvang
    Anyways' with all the pro Beckham storm troopers' patroling the forum here I give you props' for making fun of Mr. Spice or should I say ... Mrs Cruise to begin with. Trust me, if you speak out against him in any way shape or form you get nice little death threats' from over the top deaf, dumb & blind posters' in personal messages' Like I do each time I come to post. Glad I live 3 hours' north of the pathetic circus of Los Angeles now. It's the perfect place for him. Between kickball sessions with the Galaxy & plugs' for his so called Tragic Kingdom (Disney) movies. I'm kind of wondering what pointless game or reality tv show they will make him court jester of! As you might have guessed he's low on my list of alltime United greats'! Fergie saw though the facade some years' back, gave him the boot & made some money off of it as well. True true! In Fergie we trust!:)

17. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It refers to the age of the players under Sir Matt. I read a quote by Duncan Edwards that when he went into the dressing room he felt he was back at school because the players where so young. (Edwards was 16 years old when he signed)

18. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The "Busby Babes" were the team that unfolded in the years between 1955 and 1958, notably; Wood; Foulkes, Byrne; Colman, Jones, Edwards; Berry, Whelan, Taylor, Viollet and Pegg. Also players who played a huge part were Blanchflower, Doherty, Bent, Morgans, Scanlon, Charlton, Greaves, Bent, McGuinness, Dawson, Goodwin, Cope, Webster. Harry Gregg only joined the Club in late December 1957 and played just 11 games before the tragedy.

19. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

"Anyways' with all the pro Beckham storm troopers' patroling the forum here I give you props' for making fun of Mr. Spice or should I say ... Mrs Cruise to begin with. Trust me, if you speak out against him in any way shape or form you get nice little death threats' from over the top deaf, dumb & blind posters' in personal messages' Like I do each time I come to post. Glad I live 3 hours' north of the pathetic circus of Los Angeles now. It's the perfect place for him. Between kickball sessions with the Galaxy & plugs' for his so called Tragic Kingdom (Disney) movies. I'm kind of wondering what pointless game or reality tv show they will make him court jester of! As you might have guessed he's low on my list of alltime United greats'! Fergie saw though the facade some years' back, gave him the boot & made some money off of it as well. True true! In Fergie we trust!"

Sorry, but I think that you are so wrong in your assumptions. Becks played more than his part at Old Trafford and in the successes of the late 90's and early 2000's. Irrespective of what you feel, I can assure you that he is a top, top, performer even today. You have to divorce yourself from all the razz that ultimately surrounds him and try and look at things from a purely football angle. He is the and has been the business and his record speaks for itself.

20. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking at all of those players who do you think was the best?

21. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They were a great, great team even then, but had still to reach their full potential. They'd already been champions for two consecutive years, FA Cup Finalists and EC semi-finalists. It's always difficult to nominate one player, but Edwards will always be the one to stand out because of his abilities as an ALL ROUND PLAYER.

22. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I did think you would pick big Dunc. The most amazing thing about Edwards was his size even when he was young. Some described his legs as being as thick as 'tree trunks'. I have got his 'Tackle soccer this way' book which is an excellent insight into his life as a footballer and all the advice he is giving young footballers.

23. Gino Franconni

Gino Franconni Red Card

Sep 1, 2007
    Solvang

Not to argue with you but I've never found Beckham to be a top flight, world class player. Is he a decent player? Yes. Can he take well placed free kicks? Of course. Can the man pass the ball well? Again yes. That being said doesn't make him a world class player. He's not even the best player in the MLS if you even want to count that as a Football league. If you want to talk about his time with United of course he did his part but stop & think about the great players' in his same era there that were his teammates I don't have to mention names as we all know who they are. If you or I or my Grandmother had the same teammates Beck's has had. Everybody would think we were world class players' as well!:rolleyes:

24. Gino Franconni

Gino Franconni Red Card

Sep 1, 2007
    Solvang
    Tom ...

No pun intended aye? My post you refered to was chance's are a little over the top. You have to understand I live in California ... Thank God not in Los Angeles! For sometime there was alot of hype with Beckham here but it's already started to die down & again thank God! If you rate him as a world class player well, nothing wrong with that. I just do not happen to share the same opinion that's all. If anything Beckham should be given credit for being very media savy & understanding how important image is as out here that's what really count's. So if he could come here & get the deal he has then more power to him! I call it the fast food culture here. It's all about create a hype & a buzz, get the people in, take their money, get them out & laugh all the way to the bank counting your profits'! Yes I know that sounds' rather shallow & I do not agree with it but that's how it is out here.

I grew up in Europe & played the game, followed the game & been to many games in England, Italy, Spain, Germany, ect ... So you might understand why I'm not too impressed with what they have here this MLS. Not to be sarcastic but with all the Hype drummed up about Beckham coming here you would have thought God had landed & that's my point. It's been much more hype than actual substance. Most of the true Football fans' out here are from Latin America & you couldn't pay them to go see Beckham & the Galaxy. It's not that these people dislike Beckham or English people in general. They just don't consider him to be top flight. If the MLS were to bring over say a player like Rooney, Liverpool's Gerrard, Chelsea's Joe Cole & players' of the English game on top of their game then these same people would go to the games' in droves.

They brought Beckham over for his image more than anything else. To raise the face of the game & get a few more people in the stands' & get people to buy all the Beckham related nonsense that's flooded the market & then they take the money & run. It's not going to last or change anything about Football in America long term or should I say how they refer to it here Soccer. Your right in saying Beckham did his part in is time with United. He was lucky to have so many great top flight teammates' in his time there as it of course elevated his game. Look what's happening with him now. Nothing special. The Galaxy as usual are having another poor season. Beckham has created & scored the odd goal here & there but that's about it. He cannot carry the team as there's not much of a team to carry. The lookie loos' flocking to the Galaxy games' a month back feel cheated. Beckham in their minds' has not lived but to the bill. Maybe it's because they fail to understand the sport, I don't know but these moths' drawn to light are out chasing down the latest hype or trend that's why I knew all this Beckham mumbo jumbo wouldn't last. Again hope I didn't offend you as that was not my intention. You like Beckham as a player then that's fine. He's just not my cup of tea as a former United great or top flight player, that's all.:)

25. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No problems at all with your opinions, that's what the game is all about. I certainly respect what you say. Admittedly he is not everybody's cup of tea. Having said that, I watched him for long periods in England especially from him being a young boy,and know just how hard he worked at his game. I know that you have done the same - just that we see things a little differently. Yes, I certainly dislike all the hype surrounding the lad, but I don't think that it is entirely all of his fault. Listening to him this past year or so I don't think playing for Galaxy was the main reason that he came over here. Yes, the lifestyle's great and Los Angeles is where Posh wanted to be, but disregarding that side of things - he genuinely wanted to work with the youngsters over here and it's there that I think that he'll have the main impact. Yes, he's joined a poor, poor team, but can you fault his commitment to them? Whenever he steps out onto the field, you know that you are going to get 100% and more from him. I certainly understand what you say about what you call "the Lookie Loos" but for me, the fans who really know the game will know what he is trying to achieve and as I said, it's his work with the kids that will grow the game. At this moment in time MLS is never going to draw a young player in his prime at Premiership level. What I would hate to see in MLS is for a lot of "has been" jorneyman players from Europe start to appear in teams. So far that hasn't happened unlike the NASL year ago. I want to see the USA develop their own players into their own Rooney's, Cole etc and from what I am seeing so far, that is starting to happen. The MLS is a lot better than people give it credit for and I honestly believe it will get stronger. If it has faults; firstly there are not enough top class clubs for young players to progress into and that will have to be addressed; also they need to accept the promotion and relegation system; and thirdly, one of my biggest whinges about MLS - match officials have got to attain a much higher standard than what we say today.

As I said, no problems with your opinions - it just shows that we all perceive things very differently - and that's what makes it such a great game that it is.