Who is the greatest manager of all time?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by manuniked, Nov 30, 2004.

1. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Er yep - Jose Mourinho, but wait.......................

2. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D :D :D Classic.

3. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Right, here go's

Sir Bobby Robson
    Brian Clough
    Alcholic Ferguson :D ( Man Utd, )
    Shanks
    Busby

Simple as, all great managers.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They always are to an extent, but you can't make too much out of it. Not unless you look at Shanks and Paisley in similar terms. More so, almost, given the whole "Boot Room" thing.

Yeah - after they'd won the Championship and the European Cup. You're wrong otherwise - when Clough arrived, they were where they are now - languishing near the foot of the second tier of the English game. Three years later, they were European Champions. And he did it all with people like John McGovern (his first signing) and a young, raw Martin O'Neill.

5. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

He plays for Rangers :D Doesnt he. :D :D

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    If we're talking about Britain then I'm biased towards Nicholson, but would have to recognise Paisley and Clough's greater achievements.

If we open it up to Europe then Hellenio Herrera was a force of nature, and Rinus Michels revolutionised the way the game was played (albeit he was lucky to have one of the greatest groups of players the game has ever witnessed).

7. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but my point is that when he got there, he got them to spend-Francis was the first million pound transfer-yes? And Shilton was bought for a pretty hefty price tag-that's half the battle, getting players and Forest was willing to spend.

I'm not really knocking him-he's for sure part of the conversation. I just think sometimes people talk about them like they were this "little ol' club," that won with journeymen players.

Oh-Anderson, Shilton, and Francis were all there for the first European Cup-so no, it's not like he signed them after that first trophy: That team was:

Shilton; Anderson, Lloyd, Burns, Clark; Francis, McGovern, Bowyer,
    Robertson; Woodcock, Birtles

8. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    What about Herbert Chapman?

Took over at Huddersfield in 1920 (it was there first season in the First Division). In 5 years won 1 FA Cup and back to back league titles (they won a third in a row the year after he left).

In 1925 came to Arsenal (who had never won anything or finished above mid table), and although it took him a few years to get things the way he wanted them his record in the 1930's was:

1930 FA Cup Winners
    1931 League Champions
    1932 League & FA Cup runners up
    1933 League Champions

He died in early 1934 but Arsenal went on to win the next two titles.

He remains the only manager to have won multiple titles with more than one club. Also none else has won the FA Cup and league with more than one club.

On top of this he was an advocate of floodlights, numbered shirts and white balls (all of which the FA refused).

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's because they did precisely that. Like I said - look at the timeline. Better yet, look at the XI that won promotion in 1976/77 and went on to win the Championship at the first time of asking in 1977/78.

Think of it this way - imagine Joe Kinnear taking Forest from where they are now to promotion next season, the EPL title in 2006 and the Champions League in 2007.

It's not the same these days, etc, etc. I know. But if you go back to 1977, then Forest were as removed from the financial elite as they are now. The gap bridged on the field, despite off-the-field muscle is every bit as vast. Seriously.

10. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You know your footy pal.

11. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I did :) I knew the basics but...

1975 5/11 were on the team that won the first EC: Anderson, Bowyer, McGovern, O'Neill and Roberston. In 1976 add Woodcock. So 6/11 players were already there.

And doing a quick count, of this group there is a total of 164 caps.

So yes, we can look at the tables from back-in-the-day, and your point would be well taken. But there was quality there. Were they galacticos? No, but neither was it an outright rubbish bin.

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned this name:

The Austrian trainer Ernst Happel led Feyenoord to the '70 European Cup and then returned to the final 13 years later, leading Hamburg SV to glory in '83, one year after they had reached - and lost - the UEFA Cup final.
    Happel also managed the Belgian side Club Brugge from '73-'78 where he led the unfancied side to final appearances of the '76 UEFA Cup and the '78 European Cup, losing to those great Liverpool sides on both occasions.
    And he was in charge of the Cruyff-less Dutch side at the Argentina '78 World Cup where they just missed becoming world champions by inches, Rob Rensenbrink hitting the post in the last minute of regulation time against the host country.
    As far as international success goes, pretty impressive resumé if you ask me. ;)
    Btw, as a player he was a member of the Austrian side that finished 3rd at the '54 World Cup in Switzerland.
    Austria's national stadium, the former Prater Stadion in Vienna, was renamed the Ernst-Happel-Stadion upon his death in 1992.

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fair enough, but by that same token there was a reason why that quality was in doldrums of the Second Division when Clough arrived and European Champions three years later.

14. Tom Halsey

Tom Halsey New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Matt Busby.

To come to the club with it really struggling, then build up such a team, have that killed off, and then rebuild a team good enough to win the European Cup again is phenomenal.

15. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Brian Clough, because all the cool kids at my school said so.

16. JN13

JN13 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Brian Clough

17. JD=SuperStar

JD=SuperStar New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Australia
    Sir Alex Fergurson

18. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Whoever has;

The eye of Wenger
    The Authority of Fergie
    The nous of Capello
    The passion of Scolari
    The Affability of Keagan
    The ethos of Menotti
    The cockiness of Mourinho
    The Longevity of Zagallo

BG :)

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vittorio Pozzo. Nobody else has won two World Cups as a coach.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Louis Van Gaal gets a mention? That's hilarious.

According to Fifa, Rinus Michels was the world's greatest manager of the 20th century.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Sorry, what did you say?

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Hehehe I know. Still, if you're going to include a Dutch manager, let it be Rinus Michels and not Louis van Gaal. And you could make a real case for Rinus Michels, who's won everything except for the world cup. And even in that, he did pretty well I'm sure you'll agree.

23. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Austrian manager who coached Holland, + Del bosque + Real madrid coach of late 50's + liverpool coach of 80s +hitzfeld

24. Sothis

Sothis Member

Liverpool
    England
    Mar 18, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm biased towards Liverpool managers, with Shankly just getting the nod, as he built the foundations of England's most successful club, both domestically and in Europe.

Don't get me wrong, what Paisley acheived was phenomenal, but it was Shankly who got the club into a position to challenge so regularly for trophies.

25. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Theres no one that stand out as a great manager to me at all. But i have high hopes for Jose.