Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    RE: the case Ronaldo.

The January 1997 (so published in December 1996) issue by 'WS' was already proclaiming that he might be the best player ever.

[​IMG]

Very peculiar that such possibility was raised at that stage (in my memory, those accolades only came in the lead-up for the 1998 World Cup but apparently that is a bit false).

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  2. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Puck there is no doubt on whether R9 was once proclaimed to be the best ever. Even I believed it when I saw him in Eindhoven 1995 playing against Roda JC. I too, believed that I was witnessing the very best player in the making.

But, the question is not whether he was once expected to be the best, but rather the real question is:

did he finally become the best ever?

And the answer is NO!

Pipiolo repped this.
  3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well it's a yes and no ... kinda thing ... (since it's easy after fact)

Yes: No player at same age has shown a similar greatness wth such ease on the ball to WIN GAME ON HIS OWN like Ronaldo (note Pele, Zico, Maradona ... all spent his debut and best years OUTSIDE Europe)

No: just like Messi in 2012, many quickly claimed he is on par or even better than Pele and Maradona following a phenomenal season of "record breaking" (he broke ALL RONALDO's 97 records in goals)

Look Ronaldo at 19,20 was MORE PROVEN than a Messi at same age for he tear off 4 leagues (Brazil, Holland, Liga and SerieA plus his success in Brazil shirt at Copa and Confed cup 97)

Look at some other comments of him in his 97 season.

=====================================================
    Joy to the World

No one else plays soccer with the infectious glee of Ronaldo, the nonpareil striker who aims to lead Brazil to its unprecedented fifth World Cup title
    by Steve Rushin

[​IMG]

Brazil is famous for large steaks and small bikinis and the national motto, Never put off until tomorrow what can be put off until next week. Call the Brazilian soccer federation in May, and you are put on hold to jaunty Christmas carols before being disconnected. If it seems that Brazilians are having more fun than the rest of us, there's a simple explanation: They are.
    [​IMG]

So it is only natural that the wordalegria would be ubiquitous in Brazilians' vocabulary. "It is," says an interpreter for Ronaldo, the 21-year-old Brazilian who is the finest soccer player on earth, "a kind of 'exuberant joy.'"

"When I'm on the field, training or playing, it is alegria, pure alegria," says Ronaldo, resplendent in a blazer and tie in his agent's office in Milan, where he plays professionally for the Italian club Inter. Alegria exhibits itself on the practice pitch when Ronaldo declines to head the ball during header drills, preferring instead to stop it with his chest, then juggle it with his feet. "Brazilians don't like to head the ball," explains an observer at the Inter training ground, "because you can't hog the ball with your head."

But then Inter didn't commit as much as $110 million to Ronaldo over 10 years, through 2007, so that he might pass the ball. "The only thing the coach expects of me is to score," says Ronaldo. "The way I score doesn't matter. As long as I keep my scoring numbers high, they let me do what I like to do."

So he scores, serially and spectacularly, for his club and for his country. In Italy teammates fall to their knees when Ronaldo gets a goal and buff his right boot with imaginary shoeshine rags. It's an act that he notices only later, while basking in the glow of televised highlights. "That particular moment is difficult to describe," Ronaldo says of the instant following a goal. "Because you are ... you are out of this world. You can't hear anyone. You don't see anyone. You are blind, you are deaf, you just want to run and scream.

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Brazil's Ronaldo Has the World at His Feet

[​IMG]
    By Michael T. Shepard
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, June 4, 1998; Page A1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He is a 21-year-old who never has been even a bit player in the quadrennial soccer drama known as the World Cup. But when the curtain rises next week on the world's most-watched sports competition, no one doubts where the spotlight will shine the brightest — or the hottest: On No. 9 in the mystique-laden yellow jersey of soccer's most decorated and mesmerizing nation, Brazil.

Ronaldo, two-time world soccer player of the year. Ronaldo, cultural phenomenon. Ronaldo, soccer persona for the world's most ubiquitous sports marketing icon. Ronaldo, the best-paid player in the planet's most popular sport whose uncanny ability to score already has earned his comparisons with history's most famous soccer player, Pele.

5. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1330 greatstriker11, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Actually thinking back now, your description of Romario is half right.

It is true that his game was centred around "good first touch, a cool trick to pass his marker and a clinical finishing" but this is not a full profile for Romario. You are missing one important attribute about Romario that separates him from R9.

Romario is all the above plus : superb position and vision of the game ahead. He could read the game ahead and put himself in the best position to be dangerous. And this is what Ronaldo lacked. That's why R9 had to rely on power dribble and long distance runs to be as effective as Romario.

Pipiolo repped this.
  6. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ronaldo did not tear off Italian serie-A. No way near. He was outstanding at scoring but he did not dominate Serie-A. He was better player at Real Madrid then Inter. Since by the time he played for Real, he had matured into a more experienced player. Slower, but better.

Cruzeiro, PSV, Barca, Inter= fitter, faster but less effective
    Real Madrid, Corinthians=slower but more brainy and thence more effective

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #1332 JamesBH11, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Not really ...
    In term of reading games and put oneself in the most dangerous position, that special "don" should belong to GERD MULLER ...

I would say, Romario and Ronaldo had the best one-two touch in playing style at modern football .... ever seen.
    I had never seen any pair explosively with such ONE and TWO things ... to turn any DF back twisted ...

(Zico + Socrates or Pele + Tostao also did that but with much less explosive speed like Ro-Ro did - perhaps die to modern games are just more speedier)

Romario was also in TOP3 of such category (Positioning) I agree, or probably just behind Muller and Juste fontaine ... But Ronaldo was surely also in TOP5 in that special talent ... NOTE: Post injured Ronaldo (2003-10) were very much the same Romario style: stansing around the box and scoring goals. But Pre-injured Ronaldo was something else, he was half of Romario and half of Zico ...

8. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good observation on your part.

I agree Muller's game tend to be overlooked a bit. But Muller scored goals in a less spectacular fashion then R9 or Romario. Muller was effective but his goals were not attractive as R0-R0.

And I agree in that Ro-Ro indeed had the same level of skills as Pele, Maradona but with the extra pace.

I agree with all the above.

9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    During his time at PSV those claims did not exist yet. True, he was called 'the new Pele' (like many Brazilians before him) but it was never said he was the best ever, showed the best level ever seen. I think the documentary I translated says enough about that. Remember that he did receive (sensible) criticism and was inconsistent. Not strange for that age. And PSV did not rush him back into action either, when he was injured (also because the results kept coming without Ronaldo - you can look at the ppg and ppg without Ronaldo if you want).

greatstriker11 repped this.
  10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That was true.
    I think I posted before, ONLY PSV knew the best about Ronaldo's health and knee's weakness at that time, and so they tried to be "calm" about it and then cleverly sold him with a world record to Barca later on. (this was also a downfall of Ronaldo's career for he could NOT be playing LONG for one club )

Note that by his time at PSV Ronaldo was barely 18-19/ He was explosive but his GPG there was already seen with Baten, and Romario before ....
    ONLY when he moved to Liga 97 and then Serie A 98 following many so-lo goals ... (hence PROVEN with 4 leagues) that he was well "recognized" as a greatest potential to have replaced or possibly SURPASS Pele/Maradona (c0incided with the WC coming in 98)

=======================================================

Here is another article, after Ronaldo shone for Barca first 4months ... *Jan 1997:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/05/s...t-big-in-barcelona.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

A Brazilian Makes It Big in Barcelona
    By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY
    Published: January 05, 1997

Ronaldo may or may not be the next Pele, the next Diego Maradona or the next Marco Van Basten. How can anyone know for certain what a newly wealthy and immensely talented 20-year-old striker with a primary-school education will make of his gifts?

For the moment, all that is clear is that Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima has the potential to be soccer's next ''great one,'' and in this satellite-driven, marketing-ridden age, that is enough to put the star-making machinery into overdrive. He is on the cover of this month's World Soccer magazine under the headline ''The Best Ever?'' after winning its prestigious readers' vote as world player of the year.

Ronaldo has remarkable speed and skill, but what separates him from fellow center-forwards, including Romario, the diminutive hero of Brazil's victory in the 1994 World Cup, is his strength. At 6 feet and 172 pounds, he looks a bit like a middleweight boxer with muscular shoulders and biceps. And when opponents inevitably try to shove, hack or bump him off course, Ronaldo does not tumble melodramatically into a writhing heap in hope of hearing a referee's whistle. Ronaldo bumps back and dribbles on.

''I've been in soccer a long time,'' said the 63-year-old Robson, who coached the English national team for eight years. ''And I don't think I've ever seen a player at 20 have so much.''

Those who watched Pele star in and win a World Cup at age 17 might disagree. The Brazilian national coach, Mario Zagalo, believes Ronaldo should learn how to pass. But even Pele concedes that Ronaldo is special.

''The compliments he is receiving are not exaggerated,'' Pele said recently. ''I just think we need to make better comparisons.''

11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Another article on Ronaldo in 1997 phenomeno season (near end season) :

Ronaldo's Talent Knows No Bounds
    On Soccer - JEFF RUSNAK
    April 27, 1997|JEFF RUSNAK

A lot has changed for the Brazilian formerly known as Ronaldinho since his mind-bending four-goal performance during last summer's Olympic matches at the Orange Bowl.

First, he dropped the "inh" to become Ronaldo, though in Spain they refer to him as "The Extra-Terrestrial" for the supernatural goals[​IMG] he scores. After turning 20 in September, and just months after a $20 million transfer from PSV Eindhoven in Holland to Barcelona, Ronaldo's otherwordly talent has observers comparing him to Pele, Diego Maradona and Alfredo di Stefano.

Spanish writer Manuel Vasquez Montalban wrote that Ronaldo has "the constitution of a champion boxer body and the feet of Fred Astaire."

Barcelona teammate Giovanni chimed, "Unique, magic, the best goalscorer in the world, no argument. It's a genuine pleasure to play alongside him. He loves what he's doing and never stops smiling.Success[​IMG] will never go to his head."

Brazil coach Mario Zagallo is more reserved, perhaps protecting his young star. When asked whether Ronaldo was an heir to greats such as Pele, Zagallo said,
    "Pele had a past, present and future. Ronaldo now only has the present. Let's wait for the future before we can answer that question."

The Brazilians among the listeners applauded Zagallo, as if to say there's only one Pele and let's leave it at that.

Yet, Ronaldo, like Pele, does things that defy logic.
    His game-winning goal in an 4-2 Olympic quarterfinal against Ghana was deftly lifted from an impossible angle over a charging goalkeeper into the roof of the net. His 60-yard weave through six Compestela players in a Spanish League game ended with a standing ovation from opposing fans.

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have to disagree, Ronaldo was not even close to Maradona in skills. Just looking at the way each juggled the ball, you could tell Maradona was leagues ahead in his touch. Romario was more skillful than Ronaldo, and was on par with Pele, Cruyff, Hagi, Ronaldinho on skills set, only behind Maradona.

13. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    If Ronaldo would have kept his unreal Barcelona level up for several years he'd have a good argument for being discussed as one of the greatest ever. But he did take a slight dip at Inter (while still being the best in the world) and even more so after his injury.

Messi has been in Ronaldo at Barcelona level for about 5 years now.

14. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So your saying Pele=Maradona=Romario>>R9?

I too believe that Romario had more technique than R9 except for physical power.

I would say that in terms of technique Maradon=Pele=Cruyff>Romario>R9

But in terms of pace R9>Romario>Maradona=Pele

15. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1340 greatstriker11, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    I still don't understand why people think that R9 at barca was unreal level.

If I remember Romario had scored similar numbers of goals in his début season and had equal GPG.

In fact Romario 93/94 was more successful and spectacular than R9 in 96/97 season in that Romario.

Romario's 93/94 goals were more exquisite and beautiful from an aesthetic point of view. Why can't we say Romario like R9 was also unreal at peak time? So why make an exception for R9?

Have people forgotten than Romario won La liga and reached UCL final in 94?

Romario scored an historical hat trick against Real, Atletico, Man.United. This is a feat that lacked in R9 season.

And to liken Messi to Ronaldo but for about 5 years is utterly bullshit. Messi is considered a great for winning trophies in 5 years. R9 didn't win any important trophies during his peak time.

So if I missed something about R9 96/97 unreal Barca season, please bring me up on a missed chapter.

zenden and Pipiolo repped this.
  16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would say, in terms of technique alone, Maradona > Romario = Cruyff = Pele = Baggio > Ronaldo9, Messi

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Johan Cruyff quoted that Romario was his most technical player he's ever worked with.

Pipiolo repped this.
  18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    coming off a "clueless" point of view.

First, Hagi, Ronaldoinho were NEVER on par with Pele Maradona.
    Second, Romario was NOT even same skillset as Ronaldinho (except for his ball control and shooting)
    Lastly, All Roanldinho did was JUST A COPY CAT of a Ronaldo's (in his best) with a much less effective way.

19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yeah but at that time (1994) he HAS NOT YET seen Ronaldo playing.

By 1998 before WC98, Cruijff comment's about Ronaldo (being the "greatest" to replace Pele/Maradona by WORDSOCCER Magazine) : "do not compare Ronaldo to Pele, he will be only great on his own " - Hence Cruijff did NOT object the idea, but in a sense he DISLIKED comparison,

NO ONE EVER compared Romario to Pele/Maradona but ... Ronaldo and lately Messi

20. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree 100%

Agree 100%

Not sure about this since Dinho did more skills and was more flamboyant then R9.

To be honest I always thought of R9 as a bit monotonous. Good trap, great dribble, power, great shot and of course his famous nutmegs. But R9 skills were never as vast as dinho.

In fact dinho was more complete then both R9 and Romario in terms of skills.

So my final list in terms of skills alone

Maradona=Pele>>>Dinho>Romario>R9=Messi (don't know where to put CR7 in this order yet)

But in terms of technique

Maradona=Pele???>>>Romario>dinho>R9=Messi

21. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1346 greatstriker11, Jan 13, 2014
    He quoted this only last year so he saw R9 and even Messi play.

James the best reference to compare R9 and Romario's skills is that you have to watch some youtube of them at Barca back to back. You will notice that Romario's goals (at barca) were more exquisite and required more technique and VISION to pull them off. SInce to pull off Romario's goals you need to be at the right place at the right time. Romario plate a game of position. Whereas R9 goals (at Barca) mostly could be done merely on power alone. Thence, his great runs. And this is the difference in style between them two. Romario relied on technique and vision, whereas Ronaldo more on power and dribble.

Watch all of Romario's goals 93/94/95 seasons and you cannot deny that they were extremely beautiful. And the thing is he never made much effort at scoring them either. One-two and in the back of the net. You got to be very quick minded to decide in a fraction of a second to pull off those goals.

Some recommendations: Romario goals against Atletico were cartoon like. Thence Jorge Valdano dubbed Romario "El jugador de los dibujos animados" which means " the cartoon player".

Ronaldo's goals (in general) were not that beautiful. They were magnificent but not beautiful. Magnificent vs beautiful are two different things.

Romario at Barca (all goals)

Better resolution video of Romario best goals with Barca

Ronaldo at Barca (all goals)

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    you guys have to UNDERSTAND what you are talking about : "techniques"

You guys just SPIT out your mind without any good reasons, justification, background ...

Like I said, IF Romario (or Baggio or else) were so great technically, they would be NAMED and COMPARED to Pele/Maradona already .... IN FACT , I repeat, tehre were ONLY two names - ever since (Maradona retirement in 90's)

1- Ronaldo in 1997
    2- Messi in 2012

I repeat again - NO ONE ELSE but the two above

Dominican Lou repped this.
  23. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    CR7 won Ballon D'Or

Justice has finally been done!

24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1349 greatstriker11, Jan 13, 2014
    That story has been told for the casuals and fans of the sensation who'd believe in anything the journalist will tell.

If you have seen Romario and Baggio extensively and followed them throughout their careers, there's no way it would cross your mind ever to consider R9 as more technical! He was more famous and popular among fans around the globe. But that has got nothing to do with being better technically then Romario, Baggio, Rinaldinho, Van Basten, or even CR7.

IF R9 was more technical, then were is his vast repertoire of headers, free kicks, goals scored by positioning, chips over the goalkeeper, one touch, etc etc???? These are techniques and skills mastered by Baggio and Romario. They were known for this. It's what made them famous in the first place. R9 became famous not for his technique, but for his unusual young age!
    The only thing R9 has that he could claim monopoly is his insane powerful sprints/dribble and shot at high speeds. Nothing else is unique about him.
    Romario had his famous 180 turn which many try to emulate nowadays. He made it famous vs Real Madid with his goal in 1993. What skills did Ronaldo introduce? Nothing!

To the contrary Ronaldinho introduce in my opinion a whole textbook full of skills never seen before in football. Dinho was the "magic Johnson" of football.

R9 avoided headers, and he played the game of power to compensate his lack of vision (relative to Baggio and Romario's vision). I am not saying that R9 didn't score a header or freekick ever, but they were too few now and then. Thence, there could be only and only one reason for that. He was not comfortable doing headers, freekicks, and positioning. Which are techniques all the other forwards in question mastered at some level.

@Pipiolo @leadleader @PuckVanHeel pay attention to my reply to James here. What do you think?

Pipiolo repped this.
  25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Ronaldo was always seen as better player than Romario ... like it or not ...

1- Worldsoccer Magazines by 2000 (before Ronaldo won WC2002)

Puskas #7, Van Basten#9, RONALDO #13 >> and Romario #26

2- Latest by World soccer best XI 2012:

The Greatest: – how the panel voted
    Posted 7 months ago

http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/the-greatest-xi-how-the-panel-voted#Q8sYS6dhlAVqeRAB.99
    Strikers

Pele (Brazil) 56

Lionel Messi (Argentina) 46

Ferenc Puskas (Hungary) 11

Ronaldo (Brazil) 9

Marco Van Basten (Holland) 5

Gerd Muller (West Germany) 4

Oleg Blokhin (Soviet Union) 2

Eusebio (Portugal) 2

Guiseppe Meazza (Italy) 1

Luigi Riva (Italy) 1

Romario (Brazil) 1