Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually the casuals and f"ans of the sensational" do rate R9's WC's in top 5 I guess.

But since when should they be taken seriously?

Any real pundit will disagree with R9 fans.

Pipiolo repped this.
  2. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And neither of those spectacular performances came from R9 to be honest. Rivaldo perhaps but not R9.

Memorable performances? Seems to be clustered on the French NT side.

3. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And this is what I meant in the Ro-Ro post in that a comparison between these two's is like;

Muscles vs Brains

Athletics vs Intelligence

Ronaldo played the game of power.

Romario the game of position.

Ironically Romario ran less than R9, and yet he scored more goals. And this is what makes Romario a player of unique class. It's what separates him from the rest. One-two goal. Instead of running all over the place, he used his brains and technique. And I like that in a striker. Any one who was born with strong muscles can do the R9 thing. But to read a game way ahead and seize the opportunity by positioning and toe poaching, that requires class!

zenden repped this.
  4. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually Ronaldo fans have an excuse to explain why that happened not only twice, but why that happened through most of his entire career playing for the best clubs on the planet. Again, let me reiterate what I have been hammering over and over again. Ronaldo played almost two decades for the biggest clubs and yet he won nothing substantial. Neither impressed with top scoring records nor championships titles. Only 1 league title and 3 times top scorer. That is too poor a performance for someone who has got such a reputation and hype.

I think the hype around R9 was that he was very young aged. That somehow blinded the fans and make them believe that he was a Pele in the making. To their disappointment it was just a marketing effort by endorsers and sponsors to draw fans in for sales. This is what I always have believed in.

He had dribbling power and could score a lot of goals. No doubt about that. But most goals did not even come from those dribbles.

5. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    #1305 filippomo, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    One which I've not seen cited yet (but maybe it's my fault) is Omar Sivori. In my top 10 for sure.
    For me, anyway, Maradona has been the best so far.

RoyOfTheRovers, Once and Pipiolo repped this.
  6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Hold on... so people are showing players, which are already legends playing at the highest possible level (NT) against other players from the highest of levels and other legends...

and you show Getafe? get out of here with that, i can dribble past the little kids in the school yard too.

7. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest Ronaldo shouldn't have been listed in this post either. Instead of Ronaldo, why not have Laudrup in his place?

Laudrup is way better dribbler then Ronaldo.

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Which Ronaldo? if CR7 then agree. if R9???
    huh? either you never watched football or you just a hater? choose one

For your info, Laudrup was NEVER famous for his dribbling but his vision and passing skills (just like Zidane, Platini ...)

In other hand R9 was so famous for his SOLO goals in dribble run, who did that more than any one in history ...

9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi has about twice the solo goals already.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    well maybe so ... depends on how you described as "so lo " goals ...
    YES: within 15m from goals , Messi had more
    NO: within 40-50m from goals, no way Messi had more

11. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1311 greatstriker11, Jan 9, 2014
    "NEVER famous" doesn't mean that he wasn't a great dribbler. While you classify players based on the popular opinion in the media, I tend to judge a player by what I see with my own eyes. You in turn just draw the opinion of others. Very original.

Ronaldo's dribble depended on speed and power. Laudrup's dribble was pure class. He moved and positioned himself better on the pitch then R9. Like I have said before, Laudrup is way overlooked just as Romario and Baggio are overlooked. A true pundit will appreciate these guys more then you do. The more they are broadcast in the media the more you tend to believe that they are better then those whom are not seen that often on TV. You seem to only favour popular players. I in turn recognise a player not by his media popularity but by their game on the pitch.

And by the way who said that CR7 dribble is not good enough to be compared with R9? Only R9 fans think that their idol is untouchable.

For starters, CR7 dribble is more elegant then that of R9.

12. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1312 greatstriker11, Jan 9, 2014
    How many solo goals in dribble did R9 produce James. Have you counted them? perhaps in the same fashion you incorrectly ccounted R9 assist in 96/97 season? @Bada Bing stats in Ro-Ro thread showed that Romario in 93/94 season produced more assist then Ronaldo 96/97. Contrary to what you claimed back then. Now, I'm sure the stats will tell a different story in the solo goal by dribble as well. Just a gut feeling.

Many of Ronaldo's goal did not come from his famous dribble at speed. If I am wrong why don't you show me a youtube video with solo goals by dribble?

And stop calling people haters for disagreeing with your views. Cause I am not a R9 hater but a sceptic who favours sane judgement over emotional fanboyism. Which of the two or you? Choose one!

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Like I said you guys know one or few things and THINK you know it all.

MISINFO, MISREADING, and MISINTERPRETATION are what you fans BOYS do best!

I said : in general career, or particular the year 96-97 Ronaldo has MORE ASSISTS than Romario, no doubt.
    What Badabing brought is NOTHING NEW, but only based on 37games in LIGA ONLY OK?

For your info:
    - Barca season: Ronaldo played 49games liga and scored 47games (not just 37 games in league) - Just like you misinfo to list Romario 30gaols/33games as good as Ronaldo, but you forgot in whole season 94 at Barca, romario only scored 32goals/47games <<<< Ronaldo 47goals/49games OK?

- calendar year 97: ronaldo played 71games (all competitions for Barca, Brazil) and scored 67goals . A close record for a player since last Muller (for player in Europe) *until Messi broke them both by 2012.

==================================================
    Lastly I am not Badabing, nor you who ONLY WATCHED player in youtube. I watched them playing REAL GAMES ... OK? Youtube only represent <25% of what a player did on pitch ... depends on who made the video (mostly KIDS)

14. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1314 greatstriker11, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Well among the few things I know is that as of today CR7 has already scored more goals then R9 has ever scored in his career.

But this claim of yours contradicts with the true stats, which @Bada Bing presented last year. Romario had 14 assist in 93/94, whereas Ronaldo had 10 or 11. Check those posts again in case you forgot.

You are wrong about this. Those R9 and Romario stats are official. Even the Barcelona official website list Romario 30/33 annd Ronaldo 34/37.

So were did you get your stats again, let me guess from Placar or ESPN?

Impressive!:whistling::rolleyes:

I know you have indeed watched these guys in life action, including even Pele like you claimed before, since you're old enough.

I know your old very old to have seen it all. But that doesn't make you expert either...but a dinosaur!:laugh:

Too your surprise, I have seen Romario in life action from 88-93 in Holland. And R9 vs Roda JC in 95. Still got R9 vs Roda JC match ticket kept. So will that make me an expert or pundit?

15. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @JamesBH11

I still think Laudrup should have made it in the list above instead of R9.

Why do you think Laudrup is not worthy of being on a best of dribbler list?

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That;s your opinion. (just like you "think" Romario was better than R9??? )

R9 is among the TOP10 best dribblers (often TOP5 best) in many lists, many pros who did watch him in his best.
    Laurup will be lucky to break into TOP25 best dribblers all time.

In dribbling: R9>= Ronaldinho= Zico > Laudrup = clear.
    Laudrup was a very rare skillful player ever seen, and also a very good dribbler. But his dribbling skills is just a bout the same as Romario, Zidane, or Rivaldo and surely lesser than R9, Ronnie, Zico ...

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1317 greatstriker11, Jan 10, 2014
    Not only Romario, but many more strikers and forwards are better then R9. The only reason fans like you don't see that is because you don't know much about football. You pretend to knwo but have you played football yourself at a decent level? I doubt it, cause if you did you would be never put R9's dribble above Laudrup who was known for his elegant dribble. And neither Ronaldonho who was known for his "magic johnson" unpredictable dribble style. When Ronaldinho dribbled you couldn't predict what he was going to do with the ball.

R9>Ronaldinho?????

haven't you seen Ronaldinho's dribble?

How dare you diminish Ronaldinho's unpredictable dribble and praise that boring repetitive dribble of R9? R9 dribble is so predictable. He even ran when there was no need for it. I got the impression that he ran more than required.

You know what...forget this shit. I am not going to let myself be drawn in your nonsense all-time list this time.

Not for one.

And if your R9 is such a great player where are his the league titles?

Where is his vast and extensive top scorer titles?

Do not confuse popularity with greatness. Let that assumption for teenagers, that ain't meant to be for old chaps like you.

R9 was popular among many fans and media. But that doesn't translate into greatness.

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    you should ASK YOURSELF if you ever watched R9 playing in his best?

Even Ronaldinho admitted:
    "Ronaldo was always my idol. I've learned alot from his moves and tried to play like him"

19. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England

In person in 1995!

20. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice quote from Dinho to R9.

But we all know about R9 admitting that Romario was his mentor don;t we? You know how many times R9 said that all he knew he learned from Romario don't you?

So are we gonna end up in circles again with rhetoric?

21. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @JamesBH11

I'd like to ask you a question

1. In your opinion, what is a better skill. A player who needs 30 meters space to be dangerous and score, or a player who only needs 10 meters and little space to score?

2. a player who keeps the ball in his position for longer time in order to score, or a player who touches the ball not more than twice and score?

Give me your honest answer please.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #1322 JamesBH11, Jan 10, 2014
    NOPE, it was in 2010 when Ronaldo announced his retirement

Anyway a few links for your INFO to see INDEED R9 was in TOP10 best dribblers in most cases
    R9 was rated as best dribbler ever by Bleacher Report:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1037524-50-greatest-dribblers-in-world-football-history/page/51

R9 was #7 (> Aronaldinho #9)
    http://bestfootballplayersever.com/top-10-best-football-dribblers-ever.php

R9 is #6 < Ronaldinho #4 (!)
    http://www.rankopedia.com/Best-Dribbler-in-football-(soccer)-history/Step1/12633/.htm

R9 is #3
    http://footyroom.com/forum/football-talk/the-50-greatest-dribblers-in-history-43219

23. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You admit that his best football did not come when he was overhyped in his younger ages then?

I agree 100% with your observation that R9 best football came at retirement age.

But like the saying goes; "Too little too late!"

He produce his best football when he's started to play like Romario and stopped those crazy runs. That chip over the goalkeeper was his only one in his career. Romario did those chips a hundred times against big opponents in Europe during prime time. You see?
    Only when he started to use his brains he showed his best. I did like his final season with Corinthians. His goals were high quality. But he should have done this during his prime time. Not when he was about to retire.

24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @JamesBH11

Watch this dribbling of Romario against Fluminense. Looks how he keeps balance and with little fanfare sheds off three player including keeper and score. Now we have seen R9 doing this as well. But look at how Romario handles the ball gently without the need for power like R9 resort to. Romario always held a good composure in front of opponents. He remained cool headed. And then when you thought that was it he scores a second goal by chipping the ball over the keeper. Romario has scored chips over the keepers head hundreds of times.

La-Máquina repped this.
  25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    No need to show me. I am a Brazil fan and of course Romario is one of my top favorite player of all time.
    Like I said many times, people under rated Romario's dribbling skills, since he rarely did a long distance dribble run (pass many players) but in One vs one he was surely among the very best

In term of first touch and finishing Romario is also among the very best no dount. That was his game all about, a good first touch, a cool trick to pass his marker and a clinical finishing.

La-Máquina and greatstriker11 repped this.