Who is the Crew's Most Marketable Player

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Robb W, Apr 1, 2005.

?

Who will be the Crew's local celebrity?

1. Edson Buddle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Jon Busch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Frankie Hejduk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chad Marshall

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kyle Martino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ante Razov

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Danny Szetela

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So I'm driving through downtown last weekend and I see a billboard with Jon Busch on it and it gets me thinking, since McBride is gone, who is going to step up and be the guy whose name everyone in Columbus recognizes, the guy who gets his face on the cover of Columbus Magazine?

2. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I picked those seven people for the poll because they have the highest profile. My vote goes for Jon Busch because I feel like he's got a lot of charisma, and he could be here for a few years. The other guys, while they are more known for international appearances (or future appearances) might not even be here that long. It's hard to buid yourself into a local celebrity when you're just passing through.

Plus, some of these guys don't seem to have the personality for it. Marshall is a promising young player but doesn't seem like such an interesting person to the casual observer. Same with Buddle.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Maybe they should do targeted marketing.

Szetela to kids and women.

Busch to pyschos.

Heyduk to hippies.

Martino to musicians.

Marshall to frat boys.

4. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also a billboard of Martino on the corner of Olentangy and 5th Ave...

i think Buschie is just crazy enough to be marketable...

Although i think Duncan Oughten probably has the most likeable personality. they should really stick him out there... but there's that whole kiwi thing. maybe columbus audiences would want someone more all-american?

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that yesterday. Couldn't they have picked a better photo of Kyle?

When I think of 'marketable' I think McBride. We need to find someone who's of that type of mold. A guy who's good looking so he attracts the gals, one who's skilled on the soccer pitch to attract the boys, and one with personality.

If I had to go with anyone, it's probably be Danny Szetela(with his current 'do, of course). Szetela could literally be a marketing gold mine if it's done in the proper way.

He's got the looks; he's got the skills. They just need to get his face out there.

Martino? Marshall? Busch?

For Martino, he's just too damn skinny.

Marshall. . while he's 'cute', he doesn't seem to have the personality necessary to be a face of a club.

Busch? He could work. Garyn beat him at air hockey at Gameworks on Friday, though. Any ideas on how one can manage to glue/stick a Crew Cat bobblehead onto a dashboard?

6. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Szetela and Busch.

Marshall doesn't seem like someone who likes giving interviews and that sort of thing, plus he'll be gone to Europe pretty soon. Buddle is missing some of his front teeth, at least that's what it looks like. Martino could be if he stopped acting like a pot head.

7. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i don't know what the bottom of the bobblehead looks like, but you might try a rearview mirror kit- stick the part that would normally go to the glass on the dashboard, the other to the bobblehead. it should slide right in place.

granted, this sounds good in theory, but in reality???

8. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    It's still too early to tell which player stands out. Testo stood out for me on saturday.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote for Danzilla.

Would have gone for Marshall, as he may be the premier American defender in a couple years, but there's also a big chance he's going to be in Europe by then. Szetela is young, and will probably be around for a long time, and has all kind of talent.

10. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I like the billboard on Hudson with Martino pointing to the stadium.

11. DrunkSteve

DrunkSteve New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Columbus Ohio
    Elliott is a speed demon and had great touches! He had the most touches and he seemed to cover the whole field.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His hair is not marketable.

13. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i kinda like the new do. i think it gives him super-powers. :)

14. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So Szetela is leading the poll, with Martino, Busch, and Buddle clumped together and about even for second place.

My skepticism about Szetela as the Crew's most marketable player is that he doesn't seem to be particularly sociable (although McBride maybe wasn't as smooth as he could've been in front of the camera) and if he keeps playing well he'll probably be gone in a season or two. But maybe that's a stupid excuse since there was always a transfer cloud hanging over Mcbride and that didn't seem to diminish his popularity.

Martino does have a lot of air time with CD101, but he usually wastes it by talking about guitar and hippy music. But I think if he could step up a little more, he could be the guy because he's getting a little bit of time with the Nats, he comes across as pretty easy-going, and I don't see him moving to Europe any time soon.

Busch is still probably my choice just because he's a team leader, he's got a lot of shut outs and wins, and he seems like he would be totally happy spending the rest of his career here. Also, he fits with the "hardest working team" angle because he worked himself up from the A-league.

And I guess Edson started with the Long Island Rough Riders before coming to the Crew, so he worked himself up to the big leagues, too. If he went off and scored 15-20 goals this season he would probably get a lot of media attention, but the same could be said for Razov, who may be a bit of a sleeper having come from Chicago and all, but the local media really digs Razov's take no prisoners attitude.

15. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martino. He's hot and he is a rising nat.

16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking he lost a bad bet.

Lesson learned from this: Always bet alcohol. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

17. cbus8

cbus8 Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Short North
    The cotton candy hair is definitely not marketable, maybe it is a distraction technique. Most marketable on TV or radio is Duncan b/c of the accent :p