Who is the best right back in the world?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by bostonf4lyf, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re:

I think Panucci has been one of the most underrated right backs during the last ten years. I think his bad rep in Italy is more to do with him always being considered the weak link when he played for the Azzurri. But I don't think it's that embarressing to be considered the weak link when the other players are Maldini, Nesta, and Cannavaro. And the English look down on him because of his short stay at Chelsea. But you can't deny that he's been successful just about every else he's been. He's won league and European titles with both Real and Milan. And if it wasn't for his feuds with the Azzurri bosses(Sacchi, Lippi) he would have had a much better international career(he should be a world champion since he was Italy's best right back last year but Lippi didn't call him up because of personal issues). I feel defensively he's Gary Neville's equal(both are prone to the occasional blunder) but going forward he gives much more to his team than the Englishman.

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Re:

Riquelme before and now Ibarra. Are you sure you're not a Boca fan in disguise? :D

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Re:

He's defensively unsound and always has been. As an attacking fullback he's pretty good, but not of the quality of the other attacking fullbacks on this list. He's been responsible for too many goals leaked by the Azurri for me to really consider him ahead of Neville, who, while not spectacular is very steady. Which, of course, is what really characterizes Neville - he's very, very steady. Not really great, but consistently very good for a very long time.

4. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    I voted for Cissinho.
    Cissinho played for WC team against Japan, and Cisshinho totally outplayed Japanese defenders and totally made a goose of Japanese defenders.

Cissinho is the prospect of post-Cafu.

5. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Lahm is a very good player.

6. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I wouldn't class Cicinho as a right back, he's a liability.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Come on, he outplayed the Japanese....he must be the best :D

8. DGAF

DGAF New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Cafu was an amazing player in his day, but now hes got older hes no longer the player he was, Ill go with Zambrotta now though, an excellent player whos an underrated and integral part of both the Italian NT and Barcelona team.

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    underrated? Really? Integral for Italy and Juve when there but I have yet to see him really make an impact at Barcelona.

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He's playing his role good, not outstanding like at Juve, but in a better team, he's doing his job. Not poorly, but not outstading either...

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    surely neville would not make any list these days? he's half the player he was.

Miguel was awesome in the W/C but not sure how he plays at club level

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If he's supposedly 'half the player he was' and still clearly merits mention in this thread then that says a lot about the overall standard of his competition.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    there's been lots of posting in your forum from Dark Savante and others about the decline of Neville this season.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Zambrotta is completely the wrong type of RB for Barca - he actually thinks defense first.

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  16. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gary Neville should not be in the conversation for best rb in the world. He is very consistent and very dependable, but he's in no way spectacular at either offense or defense and just b/c he's England and Man Utds rb doesnt mean hes great. Zanetti and Sagnol are spectacular, have been for the last 10 yrs, and continue to be today. Thruam at rb is one of the best in the world. IMO Miguel doesn't get the respect he deserves. Zambrotta and Lahm should probably be in the conversation simply b/c they have the ability to dominate when playing out of their natural position. Cafu doesn't have the legs to be Cafu anymore and so shouldn't be in this discussion. I like Hugo Ibarra a lot too, but the player i think everybody's forgotten about is Sergio Ramos. I know he doesn't play there all the time, but when he does he's one of the best and it's his best position if you ask me. In short I say it's a toss up b/w Zanetti and Sagnol -- pick your favorite.

17. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I'm not really sure why Eboue is mentioned in this thread...

EPL - Neville, Ferreira
    Liga - Alves, Miguel (beats out Ferreira for Port.)
    Serie A - Zanetti
    Bund. - Sagnol

WC - well the semifinalists were Sagnol, Zambrotta, Miguel, and I think Schneider.

I think it really comes between Zambrotta and Sagnol, two outstanding right backs who have played well for a long time on all levels.

18. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Oh and at this point (other than perhaps Cannavarro, and that too not on current form) I don't think any Real Madrid defender can be discussed as "world's best (insert position) defender".

Sorry Ramos.

19. Bartio88

Bartio88 New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Still haven’t heard Oddo. Good defender and has a tremendous cross. Neville just sucks ass btw.

20. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is not WR, keep it civil.

21. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux

Could be it's becos he's worth a mention...

22. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    On current form I'd say Dani Alves, though it remains to be seen if he can maintain at this level for the next few years.

23. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    It's hard to see him being the best right back in the Premiership...

24. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    The thread starter has him as a candidate on his poll...

25. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    my point is that he's not a good candidate