Who is the best right back in the world?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by bostonf4lyf, Dec 23, 2006.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I think its fair to say that these 5 are the best right backs in the world and based on team composition and the opposition they would each warrant a pick based on their strengths.

Sagnol, Neville and Zanetti in no particular order are for me, the 3 RBs I would chose going into a full season. They get this nod because of their allround capabilities and their consistency over a long time. Miguel and Zambrotta, who's not played THAT much RB would possibly get the nod in tournaments because of their ability to change a game more than the above 3. To me, it depends on what you want out of your RB.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re:

I feel you, but I'll say this. Neville's contribution is far greater than stats. He is, positionally the best RB in the premiership and perhaps has the knowledge of his position as good as anyone in the world - he knows exactly when to break forward and when to stay put, when to pinch in and when to get into the box. If Neville could finish there wouldn't even be a debate about who the best RB in the world is. He gets into 1v1's more than 10 times a season, a return of 5 goals wouldn't be too much to ask and goals are the only area Neville isn't fantastic in.

3. Delirious

Delirious New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Lahm used to play as RB so I count him as one.

In this Order:

1. Sagnol
    2. Zambrotta
    3. Lahm

4. Milliano

Milliano New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Re:

He occasionally makes bad mistakes. Giving away a bad penalty... or a stupid red card. Especially in Europe... where he faces more creative players... they can completely fool him. If Neville could finish? How about if he could pass, dribble, get past players, cross the ball well? Since he can't do those things, you would expect him to be a decent CB... but he has been a failure at that position when he has been needed.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re:

Not going to get much purchase out of me with such a lame wind up.

Neville's the best crosser at United and I don't think you'll find too many defenders who has played more games than Neville who've given up less penalties and have been shown fewer red cards.

6. Bartio88

Bartio88 New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Re:

Spot on.

7. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I still firmly believe that Zanetti is the best RB in the world simply because of his versalitily and utility.

8. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    cicinho;

9. __Dynamite__

__Dynamite__ Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Krusa (Denmark)
    Based on current form, it has to be Daniel Alves. Can he keep it up? I don`t know.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    This thread has certainly gone down hill. Aside from the ridiculous Neville abuse, we now have people somehow listing the likes of Cicinho and Alves, neither of whom can defend and both could easily be listen as wingbacks or even wingers.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats what you get when people join a discussion they have no idea about.

12. coppa

coppa New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Downingtown, PA
    Out of that list I would say Sagnol.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re:

That's nonsense. Gary Neville has been among the best 3-5 RBs in the world for no less than 10 years. He is easily one of the most decorated RBs in the world and has played a part in several well vaunted defenses. He has been England's default RB for YEARS.

14. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re:

I think Neville barely makes the top 5 right backs the last ten years. Thuram, Cafu, and Zanetti were clearly better than Neville imo. And Panucci, Pessotto, and Salgado were at least as good as Neville throughout his career. I'd rank Neville like this:

1. Zanetti
    2. Cafu
    3. Thuram
    4. Hugo Ibarra(many may disagree but I think he's one of the best)
    5. Panucci
    6. Neville
    7. Pessotto
    8. Salgado

I'm sure I'm missing someone but those are the only names that come to mind atm.

15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They pretty much are wing-backs. But if you're going to have a separate category for that how about one for ponta-de-lança (spearhead) and another for ponta (pure winger, not the current 4-4-2 kind) when discussing other positions?

Listing Cicinho or Alves as a winger would be comical in many places where wingers are still exclusively offensive positions.

16. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's the actual ranks
    1 Sagnol
    2 Zambrotta
    3 Zanetti
    4 Cafu
    5 I dont care

17. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Eboue plays excatly like Cafu but the problem with Eboue is sometimes he gets exposed at the back a bit too easily which didn't happen last year

18. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Re:

Panucci? Come on Spartak, that's pretty low.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re:

I'm already on record as stating that how you rank them is based on what you need in a RB. That said, Thuram has played CB for much of the last decade. Panucci? I'm not having this debate.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Re:

When he played RB, which he did for most of his time for France, he was good enough to merit his inclusion on this list.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re:

I completely agree with that. However, how can you say X has been one of the best RBs in for last 10 years if he's only played RB for 6? or or so... tbh I'm a bit shady on when he stopped playing RB and moved central.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Re:

He has played both most of the time. Its only the past several years when he has been too slow to play RB anymore that he's playing exclusively in the center.

23. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re:

I was under the impression he played RB for Juve more often that not, up until 2003-04?

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Re:

Yes, but I believe he mostly played CB for Parma.

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Re:

Pretty low but in fairness Panucci has been doing great this season. Note that I said this season and not the last decade or so. ;)