Who is the Best Player in the NBA right now?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Neo¹, Nov 26, 2004.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    this season, I think Dwayne Wade and LeBron James have been the most impressive players.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    and as much as I hate to say this...is there any other player in the league other than Artest who can score 30 and shut down the other teams best non-center?

3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's a joke, right? Artest is a stiff. He built a few condos in the playoffs last year against the Pistons.

4. FCDarkness

FCDarkness New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Steelton, PA
    That's a joke right? The guy's a legitimate 20-point-a-game guy and he's one of the top 5 defenders in the league. A severe headcase to be sure, but certainly not a stiff.

5. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    1.Garnett
    2.Duncan
    3.Bryant
    4.Nowitzki
    5.James

6. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What a load of crap!! If you compared Jordan's colledge years with North Carolina and Tim Duncan with Whiteforest colledge, Duncan would indefinitely be the better choice. But it was after where Jordan was recieved by the Bulls as a fourth pick and it wasn't until then did people really notice that he was potentially the best player the NBA had ever seen. In contrast it wasn't a complete coincidense that Vince followed in similar footsteps because as we all know Vince Carter's explosive capabilities demanded national recognition, way before he won the dunk contest (the heart of younger fans)

Duncan has won trophies which directly supports the claim you make, and thats fine. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be remembered. Charles Barkely never won an NBA trophy, neither has Tim Hardaway, Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Alonzo Morning, Izaih Thomas, Allen Iverson, Allen Houston, Chris Webber, Steve Nash et. etc. and although I cant speak for everyone but personally I'll most likely remember these names in 20 years before I even think of of Mr. Duncan even though neither of these guys have won jack-all.

And that kinda proves a point about winning an NBA Championship, its damn near impossible even though the competition happens every year. You'd think a franchise sport would prove to be the "liberal" alternative to free enterprise sports however it doesn't come without a catch, that being the severe competition. So in hindsight, winning the NBA trophy is almost like winning the lottery, in a sense that you need all the right machinations and resources without having to pay luxury tax and at the same time avoiding all possible injury. So you can see how great the odds are for many teams, especially the ones on the east coast.

This sport recognises team's as champions and players as subsidies. Thats how the business of sports work. There are great teams and great players, and your only great when you have crossed the threshold that stands in the way between "clinch player" and "regular starter".

7. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Artest is not a legitimate 20-pt a game guy, he's never averaged 20 pts in a single season. He was over 20 this year, but only played 7 games. His career shooting percentage is only 41% and in the playoffs it's a woeful 38%. To quote Dick Vitale, that's Brick City Baby! Artest is not half the player of a Kobe Bryant or Lebron James or Tim Duncan so he shouldn't even be mentioned in a thread about "best" NBA player unless you're talking about "best" NBA player to ever slug a fan. And, even in that test he's behind Jermaine O'Neal.

8. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Jamal Crawford.

9. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Are you Kyle's Dad? :) Man, the Sixers are my team, but Kyle wouldn't make my list of the best 100 players in the NBA. Now if your talking best 3-pt shooter, hell yeah he's in the top 5. If Kyle Korver was on the Olympic team we probably win the Gold medal.

10. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Top 20 - based on play so far this season

1) Garnett
    2) Lebron
    3) Duncan
    4) Allen Iverson
    5) Kobe Bryant
    6) Ray Allen
    7) Dirk Nowitzki
    8) Amare Stoudemire
    9) Steve Nash
    10) Dwayne Wade
    11) Shaq
    12) Carlos Boozer
    13) Grant Hill
    14) Andre Kirilenko
    15) Manu Ginobili
    16) Peja
    17) Rashard Lewis
    18) Richard Jefferson
    19) Antawn Jamison
    20) Stephon Marbury

11. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Yeah, but what set MJ apart was his defense, his competitive fire, his ability to involve his teammates, and his toughness, none of which Carter possesses. He's soft, doesn't play D, and generally mopes and sulks.

And Isiah won 2 titles.

12. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Toolhead...Steph at 20? He's averaging 20 points and 9 assists per game. Jefferson has some nice numbers, but he isn't leading his team anywhere, Steph is.

13. stepover2020

stepover2020 New Member

Give me a break, where is Stephon leading the Knicks? Into salary cap hell? Oh wait, that's Isaih's job.

Steve Francis is having a better season than Maurbary and I'd still take T-Mac over Stephon any day.

14. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I admit my list is baised, I'm not a huge Stephon fan and he should probably be a little higher on the list, but I didn't feel like taking a hour to accurately rank the top 20. So my list really is pretty much off the top of my head, I put Jefferson up higher than Marbury, because he's keeping the Nets respectable without Kidd and K-Mart.

15. The Rising Suun

The Rising Suun New Member

May 22, 2004
    Texas, USA
    Gee, Tim Duncan being called the best 4 ever and the second best forward ever (EVER!) by one of the most knowledgeable men in basketball? YES. Vince Carter? NO. You have absolutely no argument. Vince got to the playoffs in the Easten conference. OMFG. All time greats dont get injured like Vince, they dont pout like Vince, and, most importantly, they dont play like Vince. Tim Duncan is far and away better than Vince, and real basketball people, those with some knowledge are going to remember him over that laundry list of very good players.

16. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Duncan is gay. Bankshots and hookshots are for pu$$y's!

17. black sunday

black sunday Red Card

Nov 13, 2004
    Did you see Duncan dunk on Ben Wallace last night? Duncan has accomplished more than any player in the NBA since Jordan was with the Bulls.

18. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Who is the best Player in the NBA right now? Definately NOT VINCE CARTER.

I beg all of you NBA fans to stop voting him to the All Star.

Lebron James in my opinion is the best player as of right now.

19. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kevin Garnett is the best player in the NBA followed by Duncan and Dirk. KG is the complete package, he can do anything offensively, shoots free throws very well for a big man (almost 76% career), he is an excellent defender (2 blocks and almost 2 steals a game this season), and he always plays hard.

I'm sorry Canzano but Carter is nowhere near the level Duncan is at right now, he's not even that exciting to watch anymore (he's only averaging something like .4 dunks a game so far this year).

Marbury has been underrated by most of you IMO, he's a great scorer with terrific vision. He's having a better season than Francis, look at the numbers.

The one player who is being forgotten is Shawn Marion. This guy is having a great season while playing out of position. He's 6'7" playing power forward and he's averaging 20 points, 12 boards, 2 blocks, almost 2 steals, and over a 3 pointer per game! While he's not a top 3 player he should definately be on everyones top 20 list.

AI is overrated anyway, his shooting percentage is terrible and he turns the ball over way too much (granted he is the only real scoring threat on the sixers but 38% from the field and 4 turnovers is unnacceptable).

20. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I disagree, as long as he makes those shots, he's the man. It doesn't matter what fashion you score, all it matters is if you score. I believe Abdul Jabar became a legend on that hook shot. All it matters is the score when the final whistle blows in the 4th quater.

The most exciting dunk gives you ........ 2 points if it goes in

a boring hook shot gives you............. 2 points if it goes in

a boring bankshot gives you.......... 2 points if it goes in

assuming there is no fouls (and 1)

Therefore.................. Duncan is the man, 10 times the man as Carter

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Only Kobe. Just take a look at what he did to Redd in the two games against Milwaukee. Although I think Lebron can get there also.

22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I see that at least one person living in Canada is taking advantage of their marijuana laws.

23. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If anyone thinks of Hardaway, Payton, Kemp, Mourning and Houston before Duncan in 20 years they'll have to be as high as you are.

Or you can have smart people that can build a team the way Detroit and San Antonio have done the past couple of years instead of trading away good young players and overpaying long term contracts for old, injured and overrated players.

24. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

hahahahahaha

Vince can be better than Duncan when he wants to be. That's like saying Tractor Trailor can be better than Shaq when he wants to be ha ha ha. Rubin Patterson can defend Kobe anytime he wants ha ha ha ha ha

Oh ohoh
    and
    I can be like Mike ha ha ha ha aha ha ha ha

I wanna be wanna be wanna be like Michael Jordan ha ha ha ha ha

Seriously though............ I don't even know if it's a fair comparison. Ducan is Center/Power forward

Carter is a shooting guard. Is that even a fair comparison? You would have to compare Carter with Lebron James, Kobe, Ray Allen.......... and believe me he is loosing to all of them.

I live in Canada, and I seriously think Carter hasn't been good for the past 3 years.

25. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Marijuana is still an illegal substance (unless medicinal) in Canada; but don't worry i didn't expect you to know that.