Who is the best goalkeeper right now?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by madhoman, Aug 17, 2004.

1. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    lol, yeah, this year he has been terrific, juve has looked poorer than the past in a, for obvious reasons, but any hope of rust has pretty much been dispelled by buffon's performances these first few weeks. this year, so far, has not been the year to single out buffon, well if there was any year to do so. :eek:

for the record, i am still infatuated with zippy, though. :p

2. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that I don't think that Buffon isn't among the best. It's the notion that he his heads and shoulders above every else that I disagree with. To answer your question, I'd say Buffon and Cech are on the same level. Casillas and a few others slightly below them...

3. the_man_from_japan

the_man_from_japan New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    glasgow
    to sort it out i will split into each league who i think is best then give you my top three based on what i have seen and think!
    scotland-boruc
    england-cech
    italy-buffon
    france-coupet
    germany-kahn
    spain-ustari

my top three are BORUC- i know he made a couple of mistakes against hibs ! bad game does not make a bad keeper and he does it when it counts.

BUFFON- probably the greatest of all time but i did not see much of him last season due to being in serie b

USTARI- i know hes young and debateable but hes consistent and WILL become the best in the world.

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    It's very difficult to change other people's minds on this; however, watching Buffon nearly every competitive match he plays with both Juve and the Azzurri, I've never seen anyone better, ever. It's difficult for a goalkeeper to distinguish himself as opposed to an attacking player.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He regularly flaps about. He made another mistake against Dundee in the cup during the week. He's a very good shot stopper and good at saving penalties but, like almost all shot stoppers, the rest of his game is error prone.

6. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    If BORUC would have a half way decent defensive bloc before him he would be much better at crosses. He obvously doesn't trust the sorry bunch of "defenders" on his team, so he tries to do their work for them, with sometimes sad results.

BORUC's true worth as a keeper will not be known unless he plays for a team with quality defenders.

7. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    'a poor workman always blames his tools...'

i understand it's hard for you to accept that artur makes mistakes but believe me, he does.

i'm a season ticket holder at parkhead and get to see him play every 2nd week when we're at home. he's prone to lapses in concentration when playing in the SPL. maybe it could be over confidence at times as well but it's been there for a couple of seasons now.

in the champions league he's on the money but in the SPL he does make the odd blunder.

he was in good form today but against hibernian are you telling me his two howlers could be blamed on mcmanus and co....?

teso is correct about the match against dundee in midweek. it's a long throw in. he calls mcmanus off his man. this is quite clear as mcmanus drops off his attacker in the 6yd box and drops onto the line to try and cover his keeper and also allowing boruc a clear run at the ball.

artur flaps at the ball, doesn't clear it properly and it drops to a dundee player in the box who finishes the chance off. again, this has nothing to do with his defence.

i'm a big, big fan of the holy goalie but he's not infallible.

8. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Some years ago i would have agree with you without any doubt,
    but currently i see even his replacement at Bayern stronger than him.

Don´t get me wrong, it´s just based on current form,
    Kahn had an outstanding career and i wish him a great good bye season.

9. NumberSoul

NumberSoul New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Poland produces plenty of goalkeeping talent

Jerzy Dudek, okay we can all agree his really nothing now, but I honestly think he is to high classed of a goalkeeper is seat on the bench no matter how the good the team is. In his younger days he was really talented and great and won Liverpool the Championship League. Of course his days are basically over and I think he made a bad move to go to Real Madrid.

Artur Boruc is a good goalkeeper, but he creates to many mistakes which might be taken in Scottish league, but if he were to make those kind of mistakes in Premiership League he will never hear the end of it. Of course he can make the best saves and showed what he is capable of epically in CL games.

Tomasz Kuszczak his time has yet to come, but with West Ham he defintaly made some world class saves and which is why Manchester United wanted him badly. With VDS most likely being his last season Kuszczak has a good chance playing 1st choice.

Lukasz Fabianski well this guy still isn't close to world class level, and most of his experience coming from the Polish League. Arsenal must have seen something in the guy to buy him. He probably will go on loan to a couple of teams before he actually plays for Arsenal but his really young and has plenty of time to get a chance for starter.

10. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    No love for Pallop? I've seen him a few times and was impress by his play.

I think Ochoa is a beast, the best young keeper in the world alongside Craig Gordon.

The best right now are Cech and Buffon in my book.

11. Bujdasz

Bujdasz New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Boruc
    Buffon
    Cech

Robinson...(lmao jk)

anyway the poll is a joke.

12. R_9-Ronaldo

R_9-Ronaldo New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I would have the 2002 Oliver Kahn over any goalkeeper in the history of the sport

13. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    My Polish friend: OK, we know that Poland has the best goalkeeping out there. No one who truly follows the game could deny it, unless they are some douchebaggin' Cheeseeburgers like the one that started this thread, with psychodelic visions of grandeur concerning their third rate goalkeeping corps. So let's keep quiet about Kuszczak and Fabianski, who still have a lot to prove, and let's not mention the obviously "over the hill" Dudek...or Dudeck....as our dumb Cheeseburger friends call him, and let's concentrate on BORUC instead.

First of all...you may wonder why I put His name in caps...BORUC....Jesus-like. Well, there are no bibilical implication, I simply liked how our Asian brother did it that way, at some point in the middle of this thread, so I am following in his footsteps. No religious implications whatsover, no intent to harm the religious right or left, no desire to be involved in the Glasgow wars of who is better, or who is right, depending on which version of the bible they read.

But let me get back to the man himself, BORUC. THE BORUC. An excellent shot blocker, as admitted even by his detractors. An awesome penalty saver...or penalty saviour....whichever you may prefer depending on yer religious upbringing. A great motivator....but a terrible head case. When he is "on", it's like there is a switch there that has been turned, that says "no shots get through". But when he is off, it rubs off on his teammates...it makes the entire defensive line malfunction. This guy has such a strong personality, that the back line, either Celtic's, or Poland's, just takes on his personality depending on the game and / or day. I have seen this many times....when he is confident, his defenders are confident. An vice versa. Our Cheesburger brothers may recall the snowbound Poland-US game of March 2006, when Boruc let in a doozie, right after being put in goal at half time.

Hence my statement, that we may not truly know how good of a keeper BORUC is until he plays for a team with a high quality backline. I would submit that when BORUC is confident, that is when his defenders will perform correctly on crosses (that is, block out danger players or take care of the ball properly) he will no longer "flap" at crosses. Give BORUC Chelsea's backline, and he will out-Czech Czech. But dont leave his ass out to dry, which is what Celtic has been doing this season. Bring back Bobo Balde, for heaven's sake, even tough he sucked to hight heaven, but he still was better than the losers that are there now. BORUC's mind works in a strange way...he feels that he is the master, that he alone can win games....it is a good attitude to have, because it makes him supremely confident, but it is also his downfall when his defenders underperform. He then tries to do everything by himself, and by necessity fails. Boruc is a mental case supreme: he needs personalities as storn as he is in the back, and players as good as he as well. I can't wait to see him feature in a top five club....then we'll know for sure, if he is one of the world's best or just a basket case.

14. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    talk about him in an international sense as much as you like but don't tell me what the cetic defense is like and call these guys losers when you utter bobo's name in the same sentence. your making yourself look stupid with comments like that.

i love artur but he cock's up and it's his fault when he does mostly and no one elses.

please show me where his defense that is so poor where at fault for 2 of hibs goals...the first and third ones

[youtube]mBqdVeyj_iE[/youtube]

don't blame someone else for his mistakes, he doesn't. he's man enough to admit them and the guy is idolised at parkhead and rightly so.

(bobo balde..... your having a giraffe aren't you....)

15. msk06

msk06 New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Australia
    yes!! get him in now!! lehman is a time-bomb waiting to go off!!:D

16. msk06

msk06 New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Australia
    yes i agree. i think germany should play him now, lehman is a disaster waiting to happen!!:D

17. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Rogério Ceni by far.

18. Bandeirante_SPFC

Nov 15, 2005
    Sao Paulo, SP
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ceni...

agreed.

Dunga is a stupid. The best brazilian goalkeeper since Gilmar.

19. Albee1

Albee1 New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    MLS not sure, but buffon, chech Sp ? from chealsea and i really like Ochoa from america

20. R_9-Ronaldo

R_9-Ronaldo New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think you're forgetting Marcos fairly quickly.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    wow, talk about a biased poll

22. Albee1

Albee1 New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    ^^ no kidding lol. Hmm lets see, i can either vote for a french guy or a bunch of americans...i'll take neither :rolleyes:

23. El Poderoso1

El Poderoso1 Red Card

Oct 6, 2007
    Three active americans and a retired French guy hmmmm :) i'll go with Buffon

24. Bandeirante_SPFC

Nov 15, 2005
    Sao Paulo, SP
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Marcos is a great goalkeeper but his is injuried for a long and I think Ceni is more complete than Marcos. But Marcos is awesome too.

25. cloudy3139

cloudy3139 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Irvine, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Of those keepers, its definitley Friedel, without a doubt. Keller doesn't make amazinf saves, Howard still hasn't proved himself consistently and Barthez makes hilarious errors.

Friedel, is a great shot stopper or all kinds, and good in one on ones.