Who is the best forward in this world

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by liu shi, Sep 21, 2009.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah, I mean it comes down to the fact that they are using a simple formula. They gave 2 points for every league goal in England, Spain, Italy, France and Germany, 1.5 for any other league. 1 point for every cup goal. 3 points for every goal in European comps. 3 points for every goal in internationals.

Basically the formula had a rough basis (from league play) of the European Golden Boot, where these leagues receive points. Obviously as the S American leagues aren't included, they didn't want to come up with their own formula for those leagues.

Ultimately it means that you don't have a very fair comparison for non-European players.

I also think they haven't got their sums 100% correct. I just added up Frank Lampard's goals and he would have 192 points. I need to check the magazine later to see if that would get a place in the top 20.

Edit: Just checked and that would give him 19th spot.

1 person likes this.
  2. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Has anyone looked at the Castrol Rankings that were launched today?

They have devised a statistical rating of each player in each match and then added these up over a 12 month period. They then rank the players depending on their respective pts total. The rankings are updated every month on a 12-month rolling basis similar to tennis.

There is some pertinent data that is relevant to this thread discussion...

http://www.castrolfootball.com/rankings/rankings/

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    It's a good link to know. Thanks

However ... there are few fundamental errors:
    1- Category:
    Messi was classified as forward while C.Ronaldo as midfielder? C.Ronaldo played more often as forward than (true) winger/midfielder since last 2years at ManU. At Real he was strictly playing as a forward period.

2- ranking:
    the number of points are relative and depending heavily on HOW they rate a player each game (based on what standards and reference?) example:
    - as forward: Henry was the leading man (it's good to notify Henry as among the top10 -at most, but the best is a bit doubtful. Messi is a clear leader here!

- Defender: here I laugh! Pique and Marquez ? ahem ....ask how many goals Barca conceded and howmany games Marquez was playing as starter? no more comments

- Midfielder: Kaka is way off at 20th position and the likes Carrick, Keita, Malouda, .. are no way can be better ... even in Kaka's worst form

4. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Isn't that the story with every single Italian player? ZING

5. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cristiano Ronaldo should be number one but I agree with the rest of the list. ;)

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, I wouldn't go that far. Agreed that #20 is definitely too low but the reason most of us rate Kaka so high is because of what he did 3-5 years ago. Based on the last 12 months alone I don't have any problem with putting him outside the top 10. You also have Jesús Navas and Fabregas even further down in the midfielder rankings.

7. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Torres scores again, with a less than average Liverpool lineup not helping him one bit.

thats 10 in 10 in the premier league for El Nino. Undisputed world best.

8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Nah, he doesn't have the separation from the others that "undisputed" implies. He doesn't have the competition for goals on his team that others face. Anyway, in total he has 10/12, Drogba has 10/13, Villa has 9/10, Ibrahimovic has
    8/10. Messi has 9/12--if we're not talking about strikers only, I'd say he's the best, with the passes and assists added on.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    in fact it's very debatable ... both Drogba and Ibra had more assists than Torres, even Villa. Another forward in his good form is Van Persie with good number of assists as well.

Others like Messi, C.Ronaldo came form behind (further away from gk) still have competitive goal rate and Messi had many more assists

Torres is definitely among the top5 best strikers but NOT exactly the best, not yet!

10. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Torres MAY be the best, but not "undisputed". It's very disputable. I'd say Ibra, Eto'o, Villa all have strong arguments in their favor.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    How many of Drogba's goals actually impacted the game? Seems like he always gets that goal in the 90th minute to make it 4-nil.

12. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    I'd say his brace against Hull in a 2-1 win on opening day was pretty important. As was his opening goal in the 2-0 over Fulham (in which he also set up Anelka for the 2nd IIRC). His goal to tie the game at 1-1 against Stoke was probably pretty important (with Malouda grabbing the winner). He also the only player to tally in both losing causes, against Villa and Wigan. He has, admittedly, gotten a few late goals against Spurs, Blackburn and Bolton that probably weren't decisive, but I doubt he has any more 'meaningless' goals than any other players scoring at similar rates.