Who is the best American Soccer player ever?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by soccerchick584, Sep 5, 2003.

1. SH diddy

SH diddy New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Livonia
    Keller,,best American at his position and in a position that US players are considered to be world class.

Dont forget the likes of Ricky Davis and Paul Calaiguri, thier hard work and dedication in the '80s helped keep soccer afloat,,,it was Paul's goal vs T&T that got us back into the worldcup.

2. Cruyff

Cruyff New Member

I can answer this in two words:

Wegerle

3. Tenkai

Tenkai New Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Marseille, France
    Hmm...

Tony Meolas
    Alexis Lalas
    and....
    Landon Donovan!

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't pick just one so I'll pick five:

Ramos
    Reyna
    Friedel/Keller (sittin' on fence)
    Wynalda
    Donovan

next five:

Preki
    McBride
    Howard (if he stays with Man U another 5 years)
    Pope
    Balboa

Basically, I can't decide. :(

PS. This is obviously of the modern generation. I don't know much about the golden oldies.

5. JohnnyAlmonds

JohnnyAlmonds New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    In the eyes of most, the greatest American soccer player is unequivocally Mia Hamm. She has the credentials to back it up. But that's women's soccer.

On the men's side I'll have to cast my lot with Claudio Reyna, reluctantly. Guys like Ramos, they are the fathers of today's success, but not as good as our current players. There's no telling where Donovan, Convey, Adu, Beasley, etc will go at this point so you can't pick any of them.

What I do know is that in 2002 USA went to the quartfinals under the leadership of Reyna. Remember he was on the Tourney's best 11 squad. He's been a mainstay in Europe for many years as well. He's gotta be the best. The reason I previously said this was a reluctant selection is because it's sad to think that Reyna is the best we have to offer!

6. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    If what people say about Billy Billy Gonsalves is true than he might be the best American football player ever...... i would say Johm Harkes comes in second and you either have a tie between Ramos and Reyna, u choose who (but i will go with claudio reyna)... again to all u idiots, Donovan, Adu, Beasley, Howard do not count because they are all very young!!!!.. stop being stupid.

7. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    hey stupid newbie why is it sad to believe reyna is the best we got?.... did u see the holland game??? if u did im sure you witness on how he was making davids his biotch!!!.. dont say ******** u ********ing newbie.

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Shutup, newbie.

9. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would say Friedel just because he was outstanding at the last WC and led the team as far as it has ever been, and over his entire career he has been a solid player.

10. giorgiochinaglia

Mar 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Eric Wynalda
    2. Rick Davis (NY Cosmos)
    3. Preki
    4. Tab Ramos
    5. Cobi Jones
    6. Claudio Reyna
    7. Brad Friedel
    8. Tony Meola
    9. Roy Wegerle
    10. Bobby Smith (NY Cosmos)

11. markh852004

markh852004 New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I dont really know much about american soccer, but id have to go with, howard, friedel, wynalda (hope i spelt it right) and reyna.

And from what i have heard, Freddy Adu will become one of the greats

:cool:

12. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    You kind of have to divide US Soccer history into eras. Right now we're in the modern era which I think started around 1990 with our first WC appearance in 40 years. Than between 1934 and 1990, you pretty much have the dark ages. Before that was the era where soccer may have broken through but fell into the abyss.

Gonsalves is clearly the greatest player of that early era, but it really is hard to compare him to the players of today.
    Roy and Davis are probably the greatest field players of the dark ages, which isn't saying a lot.
    Since 90, I'd say Reyna was the best. He dominated college soccer, has consistently been a starter on respectable sides in Europe, captained us to the WC Q-Finals, and was named to the All WC02 team. From watching the US for the past 15 years, there has been no one who has been able to hold on to the ball in midfield like he can. He basically brings an ability no one else has really been able to do for us.
    Keller and Friedel also are worthy of mention. For a stretch, Friedel was absolutely unbelieveable. Keller has been consistenly solid for about 10 years now.
    Balboa was the best defender from 90-98. Since than, it's been Pope.
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Harkes. He gets the award for quickest fall from grace. If this question was asked 10 years ago, I'm sure he would get a lot of consideration. Despite the fact he won 2 MLS Cups to innaugurate MLS, he looked quite average amongst MLS players in my opinion. I think that's why his consideration as a great player dropped.
    Ramos and Wynalda were both great but were often hurt as MLS players. Stewart, Agoos, and Jones have been amazingly consistent contributors to the national team.

Who has been the best player never to play in a WC? Razov? Chung?

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats a hard choice to make

14. CelticPark

CelticPark Member

May 26, 2003
    Friedel, hands down - for so many reasons, followed closely by Reyna.

Wynalda...no. Only player I have ever seen miss two wide open goals in less than a minute. Decent player, nothing more.

15. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    Hello.....Is everyone braindead or high on coke? I've read through six pages without seeing Richie Williams name mentioned once. Are American soccer and Richie Williams not one in the same? Just my two cents. Out.

16. Hank Salcedo

Hank Salcedo New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    This is an article by Sean Wheelock at Fox Sports World, about Fabri Salcedo.
    In the article, Sean describes Salcedo as "One of the finest players in this country's history.

Needless to say, I agree. Lets hope that Fabri gets the recognition he deserves this year and gets enshrined this year.

WHEELOCK: A long overdue addition to the Hall of Fame

Print this story AIM this story Email this story

BY SEAN D. WHEELOCK
    FOX Sports World
    May. 12, 2004 8:45 p.m.

Last week, I wrote about the newly elected players into the National Soccer Hall of Fame.
    Now, I'm going to turn my attention to a player whose enshrinement is far overdue. In fact, he's the greatest American player who is eligible and yet to be inducted into the Soccer Hall. He is also, simply stated, one of the finest players in this country's history.

Furthermore his name is probably unknown to most hard-core fans for the American game. Don't fret. Two years ago I had not heard of Fabriciano "Fabri" Salcedo, either.

In early 2002, I began work on a BBC Radio documentary of Barcelona's tour of the United States and Mexico during the Spanish Civil War. While researching the four matches played in the U.S. by Barca, I poured over records and articles from the American Soccer League, widely recognized as the highest level of the sport in this country at the time.

Although semi-professional and not designated as a true first division, the ASL was home to some outstanding players and clubs. In fact, almost all of the top players of the era, such as Archie Stark, Bert Patenaude and Billy Gonsalves (all Soccer Hall of Fame members), played in the ASL.

The one name that I kept seeing again and again though, and which I did not recognize, was Fabri Salcedo. Three-time ASL scoring leader, member of three ASL championship clubs, and two Open Cup winners, Salcedo recorded the only goal versus Barcelona, when he faced them as part of the ASL All-Stars.

Who was this guy, and why had I never heard of him?

My first stop in such circumstance is the National Soccer Hall of Fame's web site, and a check of the members. To my great surprise, his name was not among those enshrined.

I then turned to the invaluable on-line American Soccer History Archives, where I found Dave Litterer's exhaustively researched biography, "Fabri Salcedo, The Latin From Manhattan." (It's at www.sover.net/~spectrum/salcedo.html) I don't wish to re-write Salcedo's bio in this column, as Litterer has done an outstanding job already. I merely want to give a bit of background and perspective on Salcedo, and why his election to the Soccer Hall is long overdue.

The harsh reality of things is that despite the golden boots and club trophies won, Fabri Salcedo played in a league that was given virtually no attention by the mainstream sporting press of the time, and remains all but unknown today, even to serious soccer fans.

Add to this the fact that Salcedo was not a member of America's first three World Cup squads at the 1930, 1934, and 1950 tournaments, and you begin to see how one of the most celebrated and accomplished soccer players of his era has been almost completely forgotten.

I hate to write this but it's true: no Olympics, no World Cups, no NASL, no MLS, and that's probably going to equal no Hall of Fame. How else to explain the fate of Fabri Salcedo?

Fabri Salcedo reached his peak between American World Cup appearances in 1934 and 1950.

Let's face it, as in most facets of life, timing is everything. Salcedo was the dominant goal scorer, and perhaps even the best player of his era, but his era could not have come at a worse time in relation to U.S. Soccer history and awareness; The unfortunate dead zone between the country's 1934 and 1950 World Cup appearances.

For Fabri Salcedo, or at lest for his family and his legacy, all is not lost. The National Soccer Hall of Fame will announce in early June one or more "veterans" to be inducted this year. I am a voter for the "modern" players eligible for election, but I have nothing to do with this ballot.

Make no mistake, this has become my cause in the sport: I want to see Salcedo gain his rightful place in the Soccer Hall.

It has been 57 years since Salcedo's last professional match, and 19 years since his passing, but the time has now come for this outstanding player to finally be recognized with his fellow greats of American soccer.

Until he is inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame, the magnificent career and talents of Salcedo will remain all but unknown. Timing is indeed everything, and it's now time to put things right with Fabri Salcedo.

Catch Sean Wheelock on the MLS Wrap show every Saturday night on Fox Sports World. He invites your thoughts on his column, which is published every Thursday. You can e-mail him at MLSWrap@foxsportsworld.com.

17. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Nick Sakiewicz, who paved the way for our boys in Europe. Here's to you Nick, a true American hero.

18. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Reyna & Keller top my list.

Brian McBride could top the list after WC 2006. Let's see how he performs.

19. redross70

redross70 New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Michelle Akers is by far the best female w/Mia right behind her

Guys: Keepers - Keller and Friedel

Overall: Reyna, Ramos

Roy Wegerle would have been one of the better players in the late 80's and early 90's.

Landon Donovan could be the best if he went to Europe and played against the best week in, week out. He's not even the best in the MLS and it only has 13 teams. Sad...

Up in coming: Dempsey, Benny F, Altidore, Adu (if he leaves for Europe)

Cobi shouldn't have ever been listed.

20. bleu_is_da_color

bleu_is_da_color New Member

May 14, 2007
    USA....
    pele and beckems too i just hope he returns to america as soon as posibble

21. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--