Who is the best American Soccer player ever?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by soccerchick584, Sep 5, 2003.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    hard to argue with that logic.

2. roryb

roryb New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Marcelo Balboa

3. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    On current form this season you have to say that Howard has performed the best of the three - how is that glory hunting?

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Michelle Akers by a mile.

5. Metro9

Metro9 New Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Queens, NY, USA
  6. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Lay off the oatbran Andy...Try a steak once in awhile... ;)

7. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Hmmm... Kinda tough. Not really any that have stood out far above the rest. Not too sure historically, but think probably the best ones are fairly recent (our nats really have only started making noise starting in the 90's). Among contenders would be one of our goalkeepers (Keller or Friedel.... Howard hasn't been doing it long enough to really be considered for this at the moment), Eddie Pope, Tab Ramos or Claudio Reyna.

Some have mentioned Landon, and I think I cought an Adu mention in this tread, but I'd group them with Howard and say they haven't been doing it long enough to really be considered in this topic. Maybe in the future.

And, though its not popular, I'm hoping Mathis finds his focus playing in Europe and makes a push for inclusion into this group.

chris...

8. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    In no order,

Archie Stark
    Billy Gonsalves
    Frank Clopas
    Bert Patanaude
    Arnie Mausser
    Ricky Davis
    April Heinrichs (how soon they forget)
    Tab Ramos
    Michelle Akers

Remember, kids: "As an adolescent, you are immortal, and history begins the day you were born."

9. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. msknutson

msknutson Member

United States
    Sep 15, 2000
    San Diego, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best meaning most successful ... ???

then I'd add Roy Wegerle to the list, as he's probably had the most "career success," and didn't really re-appear in the US until his career was all but over ...

And John Harkes has had great success in the UK. Goal of the Year is pretty impressive ...

Best US International that I've played against personally? Willy Roy. Second: Johnny Moore.

11. Dutch Power

Dutch Power New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Who is the best American Soccer player ever?

I don't no....
    I don't no all the American players butt i like:
    John O'brien, Cobi Jones, Landon Donavon, Tim Howard

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    JOB could be the US most underrated player.

13. Fino

Fino New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    maybe not the best, but at least good enough to be on the Men's National team, the often overlooked Mark Chung. I would have taken him before Ralston.

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Who is the best American Soccer player ever?

Chung isn't exactly overlooked, per se... he retired from the national team quite a while ago, as has been noted many times.

15. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    While we can toss around all the contemporary and all-time talents of US soccer, it's good that this thread can unearth gems from the past such as Fabri Salcedo. Hank should spruce up his post and send it to the HOF for reconsideration on their part. And we should all add our signatures.

When it comes to bygone greats, George Sisler and Ernie Banks never played in a World Series. What if that was an arbitrary requirement? How ridiculous would that be? Many great pointy-ballers enshrined in Canton never played on an NFL title team. I know, I know... comparing apples & oranges, the world's game as opposed to our provincial sports. But it IS a US soccer HOF, not particularly of international accomplishments??

I can see their argument re the cap requirement in this day & age. It would now come to be expected of a great player's credentials. However... With all respect, I believe that, in such cases as Salcedo and his track record in American soccer, the Hall should make discretionary allowances for golden-age players who made a distinct contribution to US soccer's history.

Now... based upon all that I've heard, studied & seen...

Golden age: Gonsalves
    Contemporary: Donovan
    Goalkeeper: Rigby (Check back with me in ten years re: Friedel and the others currently doing well)

16. hackattack

hackattack New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    U.S.
    A little spark-plug of a forward that played for the California Surf of the NASL named Steve Moyers.

17. Chelcfc

Chelcfc New Member

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Carlos Bocanegra

In his first interview since leaving MLS for Europe Carlos Bocanegra will be the featured interview on World Soccer Weekly this Monday February 9th 2004.

The interview will be tapped on Friday February 5th at 8am pacific and re-broadcast on World Soccer Weekly on Monday.

World Soccer Weekly is heard in NY, Boston and LA every Monday 8pm-11pm pacific and streamed live at www.worldsoccerweekly.com and http://radio.bigsoccer.com.

The interview will be repeated on American Soccer News 7pm-9pm on Tuesday February 10th and 10am-noon on Big Soccer Wednesday on February 11th. All times pacific.

Be sure to tune in to see how Carlos is adjusting to life in the Premiership with Fulham, what he thinks of Chris Coleman and much much more.

We welcome any questions you might have and time permitting we will get to as many as we can.

Fulham Football Club have told us that they will make either Brian McBride or Carlos available once a month so we can track how they are getting on in England.

18. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roy Wegerle, or Tom Dooley...of my generation at least.

20. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Re: Re: Fabri Salcedo

Actually, Mr. Salcedo is eligible under veterans committee rules. This is the list of veteran eligible US players:

http://www.soccerhall.org/history/Veterans_EligibilityList.htm

21. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Ruben Mendoza (a guy I've been lobbying for for a few years now) made the list as well.

I'm glad that changes have been made to the eligiblity criteria. Now let's hope Salcedo, Mendoza, and other deserving people get in.

22. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    It's encouraging that Salcedo is eligible via veterans committee rules. Let's hope it happens soon. Much more deserving than the majority of NASL'ers that were considered, despite their talents, simply because they logged time in the US.

This thread has inspired a good visit to the Hall of Fame website. Great stuff, but wish there were more articles & photos. If what I read there is true, the USMNT hardly played any internationals for nearly 10 years between 1937 to 1947. The lack of caps by great American players during this period shouldn't be held against them if that was indeed the case. A thing called WW II... players serving their country in other roles... got in the way, no doubt.

23. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. As I think I said early on in this thread, there must be a stricter criteria than "great player elsewhere, did some time here." Mo Johnston is a prime example. Great player? Undeniably. An American hall of famer? No way.

24. miky

miky Member

Dec 24, 2003
    if not freddy, then its a joke

i would go with frddy adu. he is absolute magnifecent.and a mesmerrizing dribbler.mixing the likes of okocha and pele and with clinical finishes ot top it all.

25. rawdog

rawdog New Member

Feb 14, 2004
    NYC
    Re: if not freddy, then its a joke

What are you smoking? Adu has not played senior football for club or country yet. He is a prodigy, so he should not even be mentioned in this topic. Players like Tab Ramos, Tony Meola and Claudio Reyna are the players whom USA football was builded on. That 1990 team that went to the world cup should be given nuff props for setting the stage that opened the door for Americans being taken seriously in football.