Who Is Mainly To Blame For The Turbulence In Dortmund?

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who Is Mainly To Blame For The Turbulence In Dortmund?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2006.
  1. Management

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BvM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The supposed bickering between Watzke & BvM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made this because that just happens to be Kicker's "Question of the Week" at their website.

Here's how the poll looks as of 1PM CET on Monday, 23 October:

Wer trägt die Hauptschuld an den Turbulenzen in Dortmund?/
    Who is mainly to blame for the turbulence in Dortmund?

1 Geschäftsführung/Management 41,05%
    2 Trainer/Coach 11,53%
    3 Spieler/Players 47,42%

I'm sure you guys know how I voted and that I agree with the results so far.

We'll check the kicker poll again later in the week, but I thought we could do our own too.

2. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    I voted the players

3. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is Herr Kohler still available?

4. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Simple: players are not performing to their optimum level IMHO. Injuries hurt too, Metzelder has to come back to replace Brzenska, and Kehl would bring some further help.

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, I agree that Kehl and Metze would help a bit, but I still don't believe they are the overall solution. After all, this problem is not a new one at BVB. It's been going on for the past four or five years.

While I voted that this current "turbulence" is the fault of the players, I think the overall problem at BVB is lack of strong leadership within the team and as far as I'm concerned, that's MANAGEMENT'S FAULT!

I say the current turbulence is the player's fault because I believe they are the ones who failed when we should have had three points against Gladbach, Hannover and Bochum.

However, I think the OVERALL PROBLEM is the fault of management.

I really think the crap that went down with Frings and Sammer has scared BVB off from seeking out a hard-playing, outspoken "personality" for this team and honestly, I think that's exactly what we need.

An "Effejerk" type. Yes, I called for Barbarez, and I've had more than a few people mail me back gloating about what a bad season Barbarez is having so far at Leverkusen.

True. However, during the entire time I called for Barbarez, I always said his contribution would be more as a leader and a setup man than an actual goal scorer. And one other thing. The season isn't 10 matches old yet. He's getting close. That guy is no Delron Buckley! LOL!! :D

But this isn't about Barbarez or the fact that they didn't get a "leader-type" for this team.

It's about BVB management's lack of ability to self-criticize. I think Watzke, instead of talking so much about what BvM isn't doing, needs to take a look at what BvM IS doing with what he has. Watzke needs to look in the mirror and ask himself, "Did I do everything I possibly could to give this guy a top five team?"

I think the answer to that question is "No!"

They did just about everything, but they wound up giving BvM a younger, more inexperienced team and they expect him to produce improved winning results so quickly??

I think that's crazy.

No, we shouldn't draw at home 1-1 to the last place team. As far as I'm concerned, THAT was on the players. The Hannover collapse? The players. The Gladbach disappearance? The players.

However, it's not the fault of the players or BvM that there's a lack of EXPERIENCED LEADERSHIP on this team.

As far as I'm concerned, that's management's fault.

Even with the injuries and inexperience, this team is within striking distance of it goals for the season.

I do attribute a lot of that hardly anyone in the Bundesliga playing consistent football, but as I said in the Barbarez paragraph, the season isn't ten matches old yet. All these international and cup weeks at the start of the season are helping some clubs and killing others.

However, BvM stated in one of the articles leading up to the Cup Match tonight that it is good (He actually said "an advantage") for BVB to have another match so soon after the Bochum collapse, so I guess this Cup Week worked out for us. Let's see if the players perform tonight.

I'm expecting a win. If we lose, well, uh, I really don't want to think about what will happen if they perform badly again tonight.......

If there's any way possible, I hope management will address the lack of experienced leadership problem during the winter break. It's been a problem for years now. I think management finally has to take their chances and address the problem.

6. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe he is.

7. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    those who decide on which players to purchase. you wasted money purchasing Amoroso, Rosicky etc.

8. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That has nothing to do with what we're discussing here. That's past history.

Keep celebrating man! :D

9. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Imo it´s the fault of the media.
    But there is no option for it,
    so i chose the players, because
    they stood on the pitch.

10. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    things started to go wrong for bvb long ago when they sacked sammer. they haven't (YOU) played in c.league since he left

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sammer himself had a huge hand in the start of the downhill trend at BVB. Some MOSTLY blame him for it.

A BVB FAN would know that it was Sammer's BONEHEAD decision to substitute Amoroso for Dede in the final two minutes of a match against Real Madrid that we were WINNING 1-0 that got us knocked out the last time AND that we didn't come close to making it the last two years of Sammer's reign because the team had already stopped playing for a coach they knew was a tactical idiot.

Matthias Sammer proved to the world what a "good coach" he was at Stuttgart too.

He took a near-championship caliber team and reduced it lower table fodder in less than a season.

Dude, you don't have a clue here and it's showing. Matthias Sammer has nothing do with the conversation we are having now.

If that's all you've got, I suggest you move on. :mad:

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="Eisenfuß" Eilts]Imo it´s the fault of the media.
    But there is no option for it,
    so i chose the players, because
    they stood on the pitch.[/QUOTE]

The media? How so EE?? :confused:

13. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    At all that's also my opinion. They've done a good job on adding some new faces (Frei, Amedick etc.), they've done an unbelievable job on the financial side but they have no clue how to create a environment that is drilled for success. Not only off the pitch, were I also miss strong leadership as Zorc is not yet (or will never be?) a strong personality. Even more we lack an asshole on the pitch. A midfielder like van Bommel or even better a German player with his attitude. Such an environment would push many of our players nearer to their optimum.

So my vote will go to management, even though I know that you can have the best directors in the world when your player act like last Friday. :-/

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think that this poll is clear enough in order not to blame a certain person...

Nevertheless I fear that BvM won't be your manager any longer in case of a defeat in Nuremberg.

15. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we lose, I think it will depend more on HOW we lose. If we play well, but lose, I don't think anything will happen. If they give a "but-ugly" performance like they did this past Friday night, then yeah, I think he'll quit.

That's the thing. I don't think BVB management will fire him. If BvM leaves, I think he will leave on his own.

I also think the media speculation about how "dissatisfied" management is with BvM is a bit overexaggerated.

Either way, I'm looking forward to having a few pints with you at Finnegan's after the match man!!! :D

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with you. BvM is a gentleman and surely will leave the club on his own if he doesn't see any "Aufbäumen" from his players. Would be a pity cause I really like him...:(

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like him too. I think he's by far the best trainer we've had since Hitzfeld turned Traitor Bastard Scum on us.......

And I say that because I think BVB management created that "Director of Sport" job (The one Zorc holds today) for Hitzfeld in hopes that he would one day return to the trainer's bench in Dortmund.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final numbers from the "Kicker" poll.

11,171 people voted in this poll at "Kicker".

Wer trägt die Hauptschuld an den Turbulenzen in Dortmund?/
    Who is mainly to blame for the turbulence in Dortmund?

1 Geschäftsführung/Management 37.89%
    2 Trainer/Coach 12.08%
    3 Spieler/Players 50,03%

19. david29

david29 Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    A fairly appropriate assessment I would have to say. What always makes me smile whenever I hear people talking about replacing van Marwijk is the thought of finding another Uefa cup winning manager to come a club still in serious debt playing for 5th place in a struggling league. As if we could just put an ad in the paper and the best and brightest European football minds would suddenly beat a path to the Wesfaldenstadion.

While I'm no happier about our current situation than anyone else is, I must admit to being somewhat pleased to read fan responses such as this. Blaming the manager is all well and good, but when the manager is the best thing you have going for you betwen the front office, coaching staff and the playing roster then it makes you wonder what sort of long term plan some fans have in mind. If at all.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't believe many of these people who call for BvM's head are thinking at all. All they know is that when their team isn't doing what they feel it should be doing, they automatically blame the coach.

I call that "Lazy Thinking" or not thinking at all. Anyone who knows BVB's situation would know that the problems the team are suffering (I'll believe the problems are "over" when they finally put on a good performance at home) are due to injuries and a lack of fire and leadership within the team itself.

I was at the match in Nürnberg on Saturday and the team showed the fire it had been lacking for most of the season. The last time I saw them play close to that well was on the first matchday in Munich.

However, the problem is, we've already had decent performances on the road. At home is where we seem to keep "playing down" to our opponents.

This Saturday against Bielefeld will tell us where the team truly is.

21. AMK3

AMK3 New Member

May 26, 2006
    Sheffield/ Barnsley
    Talking about Metzelder, does anybody know if they are in contract talks or he is sighning a new one :confused:

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Will reply in the BVB Transfer Thread. Let's keep this one on topic.