who is going to win the east

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ranul, Sep 2, 2002.

1. ranul

ranul Member

fc edmonton
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2000
    alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    which team is going to win the a league east playoffs

2. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    As much as I dislike the Rhino's, I voted for them. The only team that might beat them would be Charleston, and their noted for folding in the playoffs.

Richmond has an outside chance.

Remember that both the Rhino's and the Battery have a week bye.

A better poll would be Atlanta v. Richmond (Richmond) and Montreal v. Charlotte (Montreal)

Montreal will then get knocked out by the Rhino's, with Richmond beating Charleston.

The Rhino's advance over Richmond.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would put my money on Charleston gents :)!

I don't think Richmond (not enough depth or defense), Atlanta (who is falling apart, and coming off a long hard road trip) Charlotte (who seemed to be peaking at the right time) or Montreal (to inconsistant) will beat Charleston twice. As far as the Rhinos go I don't think they will get out of their bracket, just don't feel they are the team that they have been in the past.

As pointed out, Charleston has a bye this week and they will be looking at something going into the playoffs they haven't had all season, a totally fit roster.

The Rhinos may have beaten the Battery twice this year but both were defensive mistakes by the Battery and not because they out played Charleston.

And Charleston seem to finally be back in the scoring department.

Just my two cents though.

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Totally biased, but I think that the Impact are hitting their stride and will dispatch Charlotte and Rochester easily (at least 5 points or considerable aggregate).

Then, they face Charleston in the East final, Charleston being the only team other than Portland the Impact hasn't beat this year. Momentum will then count for a lot.

5. leedsfan770

leedsfan770 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Vadnais Heights, Mn
    I'm a Thunder fan, and they may surprise a few this week! I say Montreal wins the east, as they are turning it on in a big way. Although they're not favorites, they should put on an exciting show.

6. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the playoffs will be really exciting, I also think there will be some upsets. The fun is trying to predict who.

Since I'm from Charleston, obviously, my heart votes for us. But the head also agrees since we've looked pretty good during the season. Championship teams almost always have a strong defense and that we've got. As Houndguy notes and Battery fans are all too painfully aware, we have a history of fading in the playoffs. However, I attribute that mainly to our past coach. Two a day training sessions are fine for preseason, but I question the sanity of doing it all season. Plus, 3 hour workouts were also common. Come August, our players were wore out physically and mentally. A coaching change has been a big reason for our success this year.

Rochester - although not dominant during the regular season, my head says they have to be the favorite until they regularly start losing in the playoffs, which hasn't happened yet. They have veteran players that have been there before and want to go there again. Come playoff time, they are a different team.

Richmond - Could well make a good run in the playoffs. A little inconsistent coming down the stretch, but very well coached and a core of players that have been together for awhile. Like the Battery, their playoff record has been somewhat disappointing for them, so the players should be hungry.

Atlanta - Although any team could catch fire in the playoffs, the Backs appear to be the team least likely to do so. Maybe having all those ex-Battery players has infected their season ending form.

Montreal - Like Richmond, I believe they could make a solid run through the playoffs. A month ago, I picked Montreal as my darkhorse playoff pick. They have one of the best coaches in the league and a strong defense. Those are crucial in the playoffs. Plus, their home crowd following seems to be growing.

Charlotte - What can you say. Cinderella story again. Last year they surprised some by making the playoffs and this year, the undertaker already had their grave dug but they pulled it out on the last weekend. I would say they certainly have the emotional momentum. And that can take a team pretty far. So, while on paper, their talent might not be equal to some of the other teams, they beat Rochester twice and tied the Battery twice. They've shown they belong.

Bottom Line:

Montreal/Charlotte: Charlotte will make it interesting by winning the 1st leg at home but fall in Montreal and end up losing the series in a close aggregate. Having said all that, this matchup has "Upset" written all over it. Charlotte could definitely surprise.

Richmond/Atlanta: If Richmond loses this series, they should be ashamed. And if Richmond wins, Atlanta should be ashamed they let the season get away from them. They have some very good talent but they've lost their way. I believe their coach should have gotten better performance out of that group. Or course, the players have a responsibility too.

Rochester/Montreal: This may be the best semifinal. Montreal has the tools to come out on top, however, I'll give the edge to Rochester based on playoff experience. Again, this series could provide an unexpected winner, and while I picked Montreal as my darkhorse, until Rochester starts losing some of these, it's hard to bet against them.

Charleston/Richmond: We've beaten Richmond 3 out of 4 times this season with the 4th being a draw. Frankly, they should have won our last meeting in Charleston, maybe another one in Richmond. So, they're due. This semi will also be a war. Richmond will be extra motivated to beat us and we'll be motivated to advance. I think we'll win in Charleston and they'll take the one on their home turf. However, we'll go through on aggregate.

Charleston/Rochester: By now, my heart is in firm control of the keyboard. They beat us twice during the season, both times, late in the match. So, just to please the head, we're statistically due. Again, this one will be a classic matchup. We have the talent to knock the king off the hill, but they're still the king. Charleston wins by one grit.

Place bets accordingly.

7. ranul

ranul Member

fc edmonton
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2000
    alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    richmond slight up set

it was a slight up set

8. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I wasn't to far off, but I wouldn't call upsetting the Rhino's (at home yet) "slight".