Who is going to make it through to the last 16?

Discussion in 'Euro 2016' started by Betminds, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Betminds

Betminds New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hi all,

As everyone is no doubt aware there will be a new last 16 round for this competition, where the top two teams from each group progress as well as the top four 3rd round finishers based on points

After some serious consideration and a good chat with fellow sports traders, here are the 16 teams I think are going to make it through to the last 16, anyone else looked at this yet and had thoughts?

To add also I think an underdog will win this year...Im thinking Belgium or Croatia

Anyway here are my 16

Group A
    Winners: France
    Runners-up: Switzerland
    (Romania go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group B
    Winners: England
    Runners-up: Wales
    (Russia go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group C
    Winners: Germany
    Runners-up Poland

Group D
    Winners: Spain
    Runners-up: Croatia
    (Turkey go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group E
    Winners: Belgium
    Runners-up: Sweden
    (Italy go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group F
    Winners: Portugal
    Runners-up: Austria

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here are my predictions, based on my experience in watching national teams for ten years, and also following squads, and club football, along with most of the players that will be playing in this tournament:

Group A

Group B
    Runners-up: Slovakia

Group C
    Runners-up: Ukraine
    (Poland to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group D
    (Czech Republic to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group E
    Winners: Italy
    Runners-up: Belgium
    (Republic of Ireland to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group F
    Runners-up: Iceland
    (Austria to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

3. Betminds

Betminds New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting choices, Group B is a tough read admittedly, Slovakia had some good performances in the qualifiers .

Group F Iceland runners up would be an enormous ask of Sigurdsson and Aron Gunnarsson....but it would be great to see them get through

If you think you can beat our predictions of the last 16, then enter below our free competition below for the chance to win £100

http://blog.betminds.com/here-are-the-16-times-getting-through-to-the-group-stages-and-why/

4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sorry I am not the kind of person that plays with betting and money. I was raised never to bet with money, and it was wrong.

Anyway lets discuss the predictions :)

Here is the thing with Group B. Many people overestimate Wales, but honestly I was not really impressed with any of their games. They got quite lucky that Belgium for a long time struggled to get the best out of their players, and is still struggling in my opinion. Also Bosnia were in shambles in the first half of the season. Overall I predicted Wales to go to the playoffs from third place, but because of the state that both Belgium and Bosnia were in especially at the start of these qualifiers, Wales got lucky enough to clinch automatic qualification. The game they drew against Belgium, Nainggolan, Mertens, and Lukaku were injured, and honestly if you ask me Nainggolan is their best CM, while Lukaku is really good at shooting and getting into positions to send the ball home. Mertens I think is overlooked because he is a bench player at Napoli, but when he plays for Belgium, he really does add something to the attack and is a threat. Also in the game Wales beat Belgium, it was a huge mistake by Nainggolan who headed the ball to Bale in the most dangerous position, and of course Bale will score that. Anyway Wales without Bale and Ramsey are a League One or Championship team at the very best. When you look at Slovakia, they have many good players on paper with some of them underperforming for their clubs but are in the form of their lives for the NT. Hamsik is world class and is underrated. The goalkeeper has made some unbelievable saves in multiple qualifying games. I was honestly very impressed with the team when they beat Spain 2-1 in qualifying, Ukraine 1-0, and also the friendly beating Germany 3-1. I actually watched those games and Slovakia were very organized it looked like they really wanted to win those games and in the form of their lives. Slovakia have a lot of team spirit, sky high confidence, and most of their players can really read games well and always know when to defend, when to counter, and how to be patient. Russia I have no idea what to expect from them, I think since Capello left, their confidence has risen, but they have tons of key players injured, and for what is going on, I don't think they have a lot. Russia and Wales are likely on the same level with a slight edge to Russia because on paper they are better excluding Bale from Wales.

About Group F, we all agree Portugal will top it so I won't explain that. Austria have good players like: Fuchs, Dragovic, Alaba especially, and Janko, while Iceland have Sigurdsson, Gunnarson, Finnbogason, and Sigthorson. But Iceland has Lars Largerback as their manager who has been a genius previously. Largerback seems set on his tactics and the team really knows what to do and how to play the right tactics. In qualifying I think they settled down in the end a bit because they were very happy to reach the tournament, but I do predict Iceland's organization, team spirit, and tactical approach will upset Austria's slightly better team on paper. Also people seem to forget Austria had arguably the easiest group around, with Russia being in shambles with management especially, and Sweden relying completely on Ibrahimovic and failing to even beat a Russian team in shambles. So I do think Iceland overall has the slight edge and will be a dark horse.

5. Betminds

Betminds New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for your reply, its worth noting that we are not a bookmaker.

As background, you can think of this as a new style of fantasy football game, where you get points for being an awesome football tipster. The 'bet' part of the name comes in as we take live price data from major online bookmakers, and when you tip, you will be tipping at the best available price, this means points awarded are reflective of the realtime price. We offer all the major markets you'd expect - outrights, 1x2, correct score, ht/ft, fgs, ags,etc. We settle the tips each day and you get ranked in our tipster leagues. As well as top level info, we let you drill into your stats to see where you are doing well, and where there is room for improvement. Its a game to test your football prediction skills.

In regards to some of your analysis, with Russia I think management has been turned around since Capello got sacked and I think they might prove to be tougher opponents than currently thought of, they certainly have the talent, although yes a draw against Serbia and a loss against the Czech republic simply isn't good enough. Sweden have a rep for being a one man outfit, but then they did manage 3 goals recently with non of them coming from Ibra (Forsberg , Lustig, Guidetti) but still they will do well to get past the final 16. Austria I think will do better than most would think during this tournament and a top 4 goldenboot position beckons for FC Basel player Janko. Bayern Munich's David Alaba is a talisman that will get them into the quarters

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'll look into your thing, and see it. I'll definitely copy these and post them on that site :)

I'll tell you, I kept going back and fourth between who would advance as a best third placed team between Russia and the Czech Republic. Honestly I am sure both will do third place, but I didn't know who would advance. After I thought about it a while the Czechs beat Russia in a friendly so they are the better team, but Russia still has an easier group. But pretty much as soon as I realized the Russia is missing a lot of key players particularly in midfield, I thought the Czechs would beat them to it. Czech Republic always wins at least one of their games in every European Cup, and although they have a tough group, I think they are really hungry and really want to do something, so I predict them to beat Turkey, and maybe even snatch a draw with Croatia. I know Croatia are a good team, but I am not 100% sure where they are since they changed managers recently. I actually think Kovak didn't deserve to be sacked, but they have underperformed in some games. I think the new coach didn't change the style and team much at all, so if the Croatians are where I think they are, I see the Czechs possibly snatching a draw with them.

I know Sweden managed to beat Wales 3-0 but Ibrahimovic was involved in that game, and plus as I stated earlier, I see Wales as a rubbish team. You are right Alaba is a great player and in my opinion best full back in the world, but I do think he looks better than he is sometimes because almost all the players around him at Bayern are world class, so he can do more of what he does the best while others take care of other roles, but with Austria, Alaba will have a lot more work to do so I am not sure if he can do all the things he is able to do at Bayern.

7. Betminds

Betminds New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great analysis....I cant fault you there, we would have to see your 16 teams as one of our competition entries...I think you have a great chance with those 16.

Russia/ Czech is a tough one as you say, we have said Russia 100% will get through as 3rd place, but those friendly results have put a little doubt in my mind.

I would say though Wales might surprise you, Ashley Williams is a very decent player and Bales was benched until the 64th minute.

Wont have to wait long to find out now :)

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yup I am really looking forward to it. I always thought Ashley Williams was inconsistent, but he can be good on his day.

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well it seems I messed up in Group B, but otherwise so far so good. Another exception is Austria losing to Hungary, but at least I was a lot closer than most people, and the fact Iceland to go through second with Portugal.

I am not sure if I can do this for your thing, but here is my predictions now after the first round of each group: (If it doesn't count for your thing, I am just doing it for you to see it, and elaborate)

Group A

Group B
    Runners-up: Russia
    (Wales to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group C
    Runners-up: Ukraine
    (Poland to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group D

Group E

Group F
    (Hungary to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

I knew Ireland would get the better out of Sweden, but I think that own goal destroyed their chances of making one of the best 4. However I do see Ireland picking up 1 point against one of Italy or Belgium, but that won't be enough the way things are going at the moment.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not sure why you would change your predictions like that. You were that impressed with Russia?

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not really but I wasn't impressed with Wales either.

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Well now that we've had 2 rounds I'm more comfortable predicting ...

Group A:
    France
    Switzerland
    Romania

Group B:
    England
    Wales
    Slovakia

Group C:
    Germany
    Poland

Group D:
    Spain
    Croatia
    Czech Republic

Group E:
    Italy
    Belgium

Group F:
    Portugal
    Hungary
    Austria

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My Predictions Now:

Group A

Group B
    Runners-up: Wales
    (Slovakia to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group C
    Runners-up: Poland
    (Northern Ireland to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)

Group D

Group E

Group F
    (Hungary to go through as one of the top 4 3rd place teams)