Who is Fergie best ever big game player?

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Dark Savante, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Putting aside Sunday's game, who do you think has been Fergie's biggest big game player, ever?

The shortlist is there, voting there thankyouplease /Avid

For me, it comes down to a choice of only 3players. two of whom actually play(ed) better in the big games than they did/do in the lesser games of a campaign.

Struggling to pick from the three. Let's see were voting takes us... would be nice to get some reasoning as well!?!

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For me it came down to

Peter, Rio and Dwight and I'm not even considering Eric or Roy - they are just on another level and everyone else, perhaps save Peter is a mere mortal.

I think its still very early to include Ronaldo and Rooney.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    One name that stands out that shouldnt be there IMO... yet is Rooney.

4. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    It was a toss up for me between Keano and Ole. I went with Ole.

5. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    For me the player that always stood out on the great European adventures was Ryan Giggs. He always seemed to just be electric, particularly his performances against Juventus. Going up a gear I think was the phrased commonly used.

Of more recent years, its definately Ronaldo for me. Man of the match in the FA cup final in his first season, a foreigner here & 18/19 years old, was also impressive against Liverpool at home. Next season he did well against Liverpool again at home, as well as Arsenal at home, and his goals at Highbury drew us level & put us ahead respectively. Man of the match in the cup final as well. Our best and only really threatening player against Milan in the CL, that fantastic run from near the edge of our pen area (I think) right into theirs which Quinny almost scored from stands out, he really took the game to them. Ridiculously subbed at the end of the first leg though:confused: This season I think the stand out one has been the Benfica game away.

Case for Schmeichel etc as well, so undecided at the moment.

Interesting enough, if you look at the big games Fletcher has played in, he's been outstanding in quite a few (namely against his bitch Paddy Vieira :D )

7. Fandando

Fandando New Member

May 2, 2006
    Hughes was always the go to guy on the big occasion; his goalscoring record in semi finals, finals and showpiece events was unparalleled.

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'll go with Cantona - It's hard not to. He always provided something in important games, late goals, late equalizers, rallying the team to equalize or win, in important league games, and cup games and even cup finals.

Some more I'd include are Keane, Ole, and Schmeichel.

9. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    I chose Ole, but only just. Cantona and Schmeichel were both very close to getting my vote. I guess it's just for me that Ole has proven time and time again he can score big goals in big games for us, and he doesn't even need to have played in a full game to have a major impact on it as proven in the 1999 season for example. He always comes out of the dark and wins it for us.

10. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sparky immediately sprang to mind and that's who I'm sticking with. :cool:

11. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Was

[​IMG] .......?

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Was

I guess its easy to confuse being a clutch player with being a big game player. When the situation was dire, Eric was immense.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

ugh...I'm so sorry but I don't get it.

14. Fandando

Fandando New Member

May 2, 2006

Another clue...

[​IMG]

15. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal

Europe.

16. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Ah, I know it's cheesy but I don't care, t'was one of the first records (showing me age) I bought and still love it. Time to spaz out to the anthem that is......

[youtube]IvAnYidjOdY[/youtube]

and the 'b' side...

[youtube]1cK8_dCq-ZQ[/youtube]

Now back on topic, Fergie at least at one point said it was Hughes.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?p...13B-E757FD63C2A8}&bioid=92114&section=&page=2

17. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't buy for a second this European argument against Cantona. If not for Cantona, we may have never got to Champions League at all. We went 26 years without a title before him, ffs. And back then you actually had to win it in order to participate in CL.

It's not like we've had a lot of success in Europe besides 1999 season. And, in fact, I think Cantona is one of the main reasons why we were able to win in the late 90s, after he retired. Just ask Beckham/Scholes/Giggs. And btw, Beckham was our MVP in 1999 - if the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney are included, surely he needs to be in the list. :confused:

The difference between Eric and everyone else that was after him (I am talking players, not SAF obviously) is that Eric created the winning team. Eric made Manchester United the biggest club in the world.
    Voting for him.

18. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    ROM, as far as Europe - you should've shown their concert version of the countdown - it's much better than the video :)

[youtube]YuayFYlMXt8[/youtube]

19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Regarding Cantona, I had a look back at his goals (thanks to rsssf.com).
    He was the only United scorer in 17 games, 12 of which were wins (just league games, excluding cups). In 95/96 alone, he was the only scorer in 5 of United wins(remember the stretch of his 1-0 wins?) and also the only United scorer in 3 other games that ended up as draws.

20. listen_up_fergie

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    I think that's irrelevant to our question here. No doubt, Cantona's contribution to this club was immense. But the fact that he never really replicated his domestic form in Europe (and at the international stage) makes him less of a "big game" player IMO.

Hughes always seemed to pop up with goals when it mattered, and Robson was a big game player for us even before Fergie took over at the helm.

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Fine then. Cantona was not a "big European game" player. But what about all the big games domestically he won single handedly? Do they not count?

Look at my previous post regarding the games where Cantona won by himself. 1996 alone in the second half of the season when we were 12 points behind Newcastle, he won a number of games by himself e.g. 1-0 wins over Newcastle, Arsenal and Spurs. Not big games? Not to mention 1-0 over Liverpool in the FA Cup final that year.

Eric Cantona was not the only reason why United fared poorly in our first years in the CL.

22. listen_up_fergie

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    Yes they do count, but if it's a question of being Fergie's best big game player then Cantona's European form doesn't do him any favours.
    But like you've pointed out, if we were to focus only on domestic competitions, then Cantona proved to be an incredibly reliable player in big games. In Europe, he was far from it. I guess that makes it even more debatable when considering who the best ever big game player under Fergie was - I think it's a toss up between Cantona and Hughes. If we were to consider Bryan Robson's contributions in the pre-Fergie era as well, I think he would deserve a mention as well.

23. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    But really, how many European games did Cantona have a chance to impress himself in? Throughout his career he maybe played in 10 games in Champions league for us? Rooney already played in almost twice as many games for us. The most important game was probably against Porto, and Cantona led the team to a victory and semi-final. And we lost to eventual winners.

24. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cool, I love Europe. Hair Metal rules all. (I got confused because the arrow was pointing to Budapest)

In any event, despite Cantona not coming up big in Europe, it doesn't take anything away from how impactful he was. The problem was during his time we didn't exactly have such a great team for Europe. We certainly didn't play as great as we did domestically, and we can't blame Cantona for that. He came up big in England more than anyone else and that alone deserves merit.

25. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Gah.. What is with all these narrow minded conceptions -- and it's not just SM.

Yes, no one denies Cantona was big and great in the EPL.

Just factor in Europe APPROPRIATELY, and then balance things out. I was from the post-Cantona era, in fact, post-treble. I don't know anything.