Who is cursed more?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SoccerFan8270, Oct 17, 2003.

1. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
  2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's close, but I pick the Cubs. Going on 96 years now for them, as opposed to "only" 86 for the Red Sox. Besides, the Red Sox merely blew a game they were winning whereas Cubs blew a 3-1 series lead, had their two top pitchers lose games 6,7 at home, AND had some goofball knock a certain out from a player's glove. Now THAT's cursed! The Cubs' curse trumps the Sox' curse.

3. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that one curse is stronger than the other. And I'm sure fans of both would like people not to discuss so-called curses. :rolleyes:

Two points that may support either one:

1) Normally a "curse" is prompted by ill will by one party toward another. The act of wishing harm because of a perceived wrong.

There is absolutely no proof that Babe Ruth bore any ill will toward Boston for selling him to New York. Selling Ruth may have been a big mistake, but why woudl he have wished any ill will on Boston? The "Billy Goat Curse" on the other hand, is based on an actual perceived wrong by the Wrigleys against the Bill Sianis, the goat owner. It is an utterance that the Cubs would allegedly not win any more.

2) In terms of baseball, however, the Sox's history of misery is far longer than the Cubs. Yes the Cubs can look at Santo and the black cat in '69, the '84 NLCS collapse against San Diego and obviously The Bartman.

But the roll call of misery is long for Sox fans... and it appears far worse because the Sox were on the precipice of greatness far more times. Johnny Pesky's delayed throw-in in Game 7 in '46 against the Cards. The playoff with the Yanks in '49. Bob Gibson outpitching Jim Lonborg in Game 7, the '67 Series. Joe Morgan's flare hit in the top of the ninth in Game 7, the '75 Series. Bucky Dent. Bill Buckner. And now last night -- 5 outs away, but hopes dashed on a fluky hit by Posada and then crushed by the Boone homer.

I'm not going to say or vote for one or the other, but take the above for what you will.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The executives at FOX. If it had been Cubs-Sox or even Marlins-Sox they would have cleaned up huge. Now 3/4 of the country doesn't give a shit.

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Cubs-Red Sox would have been huge, but let's all be honest- it would have ended in a tie.

Now it's the geriatric world series. Everyone in NY has grandparents that moved to Florida, so the New Yorkers are hoping that the quarter dispensing cheek squeezers lose, and Florida is hoping that NY loses to punish their ungrateful children for never calling. Sad, really.

6. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

New Sig.

7. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Who is cursed more?

Exactly. I really don't care about this World Series at all. I am hoping the Marlins win though for a few reasons:

1. The Yankees suck
    2. They play in the same stadium as the greatest team in professional sports
    3. The Yankees suck
    4. Many of their fans are also fans of the greatest team in professional sports
    5. The Yankees suck
    6. When you watch the Marlins hit a home run, you can see the names of some of the best players on the greatest team in professional sports.
    7. The Yankees suck
    8. Dontrelle's pitching motion is by far the coolest pitching motion in baseball.

8. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Re: Re: Who is cursed more?

I appreciate your sense of loyalty but, man, the Miami Dolphins the "greatest team in professional sports"?? That's like saying David Arquette is the greatest actor of all time.

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    USAMax34: Please re-set your watch. The year is now 2003.

72 was great, but you have to let it go.