Who is Cindy Cone?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jazzy Altidore, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Jazzy Altidore, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Cindy Cone is the president of US Soccer, since Cordeiro resigned. Having been engrossed in today's insanity, she's been ignored. Perhaps she's received a pass. But that pass may have passed.

Cone defenders! Raise thyself!

Defend her position.

Or is she woman of good reputation to be taken seriously?

Can we trust a woman with nothing more than an undergraduate degree from UNC? There's no independent proof of her intelligence.

Were her more technical aspects ignored as a child in favor of her physical characteristics?

Does she panic with the ball in the box?

Is she just another John Harkes girltoy?

Can she celebrate world cup goals against pathetic opposition with no class?

MPNumber9 repped this.
  2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you may remember her as cindy parlow. you may just be a chauvinistic dope. and you may tell yourself "this is not my beautiful house".

Winoman repped this.
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay! She was a soccer player. Tell me how that qualifies her to run the organization. More than her gender.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cindy Parlow was a great player. Never known for her pace, it was her quick cutting of the ball in tight spaces, her power shots, and her powerful headers which made the difference in her game.

But that's not why we're talking about her. We're talking about her, because she is the interim President of the USSF. As former VP of the USSF, she fully earned the interim President position. I'm met her, and she's a great, humble, and very hard working person. She was assistant women's soccer coach at UNC and used to handle a lot of the training, especially when Anson Dorrance was away. Best of luck to her!

Ismitje, edcrocker, Bajoro and 3 others repped this.
  5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I watched one of the old women's games that were being shown. I was like, wow, Cindy might have been a legend if it weren't for Wambach. Parlow was a damn good player. It's my recollection that she retired fairly early because of concussions. But, she also lost a lot of minutes to Abby

6. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Why don’t you turn it around.
    How have the men run the organization before her with their qualifications?....how has that gone?
    Then ask the question again if she is qualified.

Ismitje, jaykoz3, Clint Eastwood and 4 others repped this.
  7. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Posted at 12:20 AM. Guessing the bars are back open where Jazzy is?

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pacific time, actually.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So her best qualification is that she’s a woman?

10. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nobody put gender in it.
    You did. So answer your own question.
    If you are asking if she is qualified. Ask that question. Don’t bring gender in it. She is qualified or she is not.

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For the time at hand she is very qualified. The Fed is facing a lot of pressure because of the WNT suit. Nobody better to handle this.

This follows the pattern of Cordeiro. Yeah, he wasn't the most thrilling new face but he was also the best candidate to land the 2026 WC. So again, the best candidate for the time at hand. Then he resigned once it was apparent that something else was needed.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #12 Clint Eastwood, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Cordeiro's background was a partner at Goldman Sachs and director at BHP Billiton. As far as I can tell, he had zero soccer background.

I feel like we shouldn't need to go thru her resume, but let's do it just as a comparison to Cordeiro's zero experience in the game of soccer.

At UNC, she was a four-time All-American and helped the team win the NCAA Women's Soccer Championship three times and the Atlantic Coast Conference regular season four times. She was a two-time Hermann Trophy winner in 1997 and 1998 (the second two-time winner following Mia Hamm). She was named the ACC Athlete of the Year in 1999.

She is a two-time Olympic Gold medalist and 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup champion. As head coach in 2013, Parlow Cone led the Portland Thorns FC to clinch the inaugural National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) championship title.

She previously served on the USSF's Referee Committee, Medical Advisory Committee, Appeals Committee, the Athletes’ Council, and Youth Task Force. She was elected as interim Vice President of U.S. Soccer on February 16, 2019 and re-elected for a four-year term in February 2020. She has been active with the U.S. Department of State's Empowering Women and Girls through Sports Initiative, and has been a leader in raising awareness about concussion safety.
    She's been involved very recently in youth soccer as she has worked with the North Carolina FC Youth program as the Girls’ Director of Coaching for the Durham/Chapel Hill teams. [She's still listed on their website in that role.]

If folks want to learn more about her, this Washington Post column by Steve Goff is instructive:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/13/cindy-parlow-cone-us-soccer-president/

Comments from the column:

“I would be reluctant to welcome anyone from the inside to be promoted to a higher position, but she is definitely an exception to that rule,” said Kyle Martino, a former MLS midfielder and current Premier League analyst for NBC Sports, who sought the USSF presidency two years ago.

“It’s hard to put the blame on any one person because the failure is systemic. … It’s not enough for Cindy and others to leave; I’d rather see them fight to create the federation I’ve heard they are fighting for but has fallen on deaf ears.

“She is incredibly bright. She has a lot of integrity. And she is taking the reins of a very difficult ship to right.”

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]