who is better: Beckham or Ronaldo

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by frosty_lady, Aug 25, 2006.

1. frosty_lady

frosty_lady New Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Leeds
    Who do you think played better wearing the number 7 shirt? :confused:

David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo

2. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Two completely different players.

Also Ronaldo is only just starting his fourth season! The background of both players, the types of teams they were coming into are different as well, I don't see how you can make a comparison.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dunno, soccer is still soccer. The object is still to put the ball in the back of the net, so while they are different players, saying so just seems to be more of a truism than an observation.

In answer to the OP, Beckham.

4. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What shows are people excited about for the new fall TV season?

5. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    I can't wait until 24 comes back. When does it start?

6. Uniteder

Uniteder New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Fletcher wore it in pre-season, so Fletcher.

7. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    GOD i cant wait.

8. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    you mite call me biased but here goes:

there diffrent players but in terms of who has more to there game and who can be a complete player i'd say Cron, and if he becomes this complete player we all hope for then he will be unstoppable and better then Beckham

also if you ask most fall-backs they will tell you they'd prefer to play against Beckham then Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has everything to be a better player, two-footed, can score more goals, better dribbler, better header ect, the only thing Beckham has on Ronaldo and perhaps alot of other players is his crossing.. if Ronaldo can atleast put in a decent ball, it doesn't have to be perfect like Beckhams, a ball that asks questions of defenders like hes doing at the moment then i'd say Ronaldo can be a better player as he has everything that you would have for a complete player.

but it's a silly question really, it's like asking to compare Best and Beckham (not saying Ronaldo is anything like Best but you get what i mean), there diffrent players and diffrent generations when there both at there peak.

9. Bryanmufc

Bryanmufc New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Currently?
    Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Dream Team:p, Nip Tuck

10. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Rather harsh lads, the poster seems to be new!

11. red_devil2k2

red_devil2k2 New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Sit on your hands a little longer, my friend...mid-January :(

12. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Threadjacker! :p

13. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guilty. I just couldn't take another mindless thread.

14. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I know this thread was goin nowhere fast.

15. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    What an unfair question to ask. And a very un-answerable question.

16. frosty_lady

frosty_lady New Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Leeds
    omg its just a simple and innocent question :eek:

17. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True, I don't even know which tv shows are scheduled yet so it would be unfair to pass comment.

18. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Well the thing is you can't really comment on which is better. They are two completely different players. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they've both worn #7 for United, thats it. I know it's just a question, but not a very logical one. If you had asked who is better: Rooney or Ronaldo well then...then this thread would probably already be at 35 pages and closed, but it would be damn entertaining to read :D.

19. Alfiesdodgyknee

Alfiesdodgyknee New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Glazer's Pocket

20. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Don't worry, they were just having a bit of fun. Some are still a bit giddy from Uniteds great start to the season. :)

Plus you can tell they have no taste based on the TV programs they mentioned (other than maybe 24).

Why don't you offer up your opinion on your question. I would be interested in hearing it.

21. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Seems like the Lady picked the right screen name based on the welcome you guys are giving her. :)

22. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Wow.. has he been with us that long already. Time sure flies.

23. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi Frosty

Interesting question, probably one that can only be answered once Ronaldo leaves United.

My thoughts on the subject only based on time at United.

Ronaldo is a great talent, capable of running with the ball and has great skill. Whilst Becks greater crosser and passer. Becks never needed to dribble due to has passing ability, although he scored a great goal against Real by dribbling.

Ronaldo has often failed to produce an end product. Although there are signs that he is producing an end product.

Becks - greater crosses, corners, free kicks and goals. A great player with lots of energy. I would say box to box with his running.

Becks was a great influence on Uniteds success, which hasnt happened for Ronaldo.

So based on overall play and contribution - Becks, but quite a margin. But its up to Ronaldo, as he could eclipse Becks.

24. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with Lancashire. Ronaldo is definitely the more overall talented of the 2..but Beckham took 2 aspects of the game, crossing and free kicks, and became an absolute expert at them, so much so that even though his dribbling/heading wasn't superb he was still on the teamsheet every match for years. He scored many goals for United and racked up a nice amount of assists, all while forming a great partnership with Nevs. I remember the 99 season where Becks was absolutely brilliant all season.

Ronaldo has all the skills barring the crossing/passing of Beckham, maybe in even greater amounts. But there hasn't been enough to show for it. He will though in time, IMO. But right now Becks still takes the cake.

edit: and I can't wait for Season 6 of 24...the ending of season 5 was nuts

25. the big easy

the big easy New Member

May 18, 2006
    Roanldo is only 21 so he's got a good 10 years of top flight football left, in those 10 years I'll say he'll eclipse beckham