Alert: Who is a better defender, Puyol or Terry?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Pyros, May 5, 2011.

1. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Both are the heart of the defense of their teams and their national teams. Obviously Puyol has had a more succesful career, but people may say that's because he played with better teams. But who do you think is better individually?

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    They both are great defenders of this last decade with different style and approach to the games - though they both are very much equally effective as CB.

Terry has better leadership while Puyol is more verstatile -

If I have to choose one, probably Puyol would take the edge for his versatility (CB or FB) plus his consistency over 10years.

3. Cole3009

Cole3009 New Member

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me its Puyol for sure, but you have to respect the skill of Terry too.

4. pravvvv

pravvvv New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    one thing puyol easily rapes terry wud be in the skill of acting

5. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Another would also be in number of Champions Leagues won... Oh and Euros... And World Cups too ;)

6. pravvvv

pravvvv New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    lol not denying ne of those

7. Sloth

Sloth Member

May 4, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah that might also have something to do with having Messi and Xavi on your team, and also being in an international side that can actually win a World Cup. As for league titles Madrid are Puyols only challengers, where in EPL there's 5 teams capable of winning the league, possibly 6. But if I had to choose Puyol, hes the better player in my opinion.

8. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That must be the reason why we've seen so many different english champions in the last few years :rolleyes:

9. Sloth

Sloth Member

May 4, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U. 3 teams, Liverpool were only a point off also. But you putting stats over anything, stats don't necessarily mean much, England have good winning records but still play bad football. There's a difference with being capableof winning it or winning it. But obviously as you usually do, pick out the argument in the post and ignore the topic.

10. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Indeed, there's a difference. But when it happens so frequently (Manchester and Chelsea always winning) it sort of tells something, don't you think?

11. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    John Terry would definitely lead in getting kickbacks for giving tours of the Bridge but as a footballer Puyol is miles or shall I say Kilometers ahead.

12. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not much between them.

13. Sloth

Sloth Member

May 4, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Man U are always contending but so are other teams, arsenal haven't had the best in a while but are still capable, intact they could of had the lead in febuary but then they bottled it. Just like most teaks bottled this season, including man city and Chelsea. Next year city have a big chance at it, they are getting better and better, Liverpool are much stronger with Dalglish, arsenal I don't know, unless Wenger actually spends his money. Were in Spain what teams besides Madrid and Barcelona will win it? I'm not mocking the league by the way, it might be more entertaining than the premier league, but I would say the EPL had more contenders you cant disagree on that.

14. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hah, you, me and everyone knows ManU or Chelsea will win it again next year, so don't start again. Of course La Liga is unbalanced ATM, Barcelona have one of their best generations of homegrown players ever (if not the best), and Real Madrid are spending like crazy to try and knock them off.

15. onthebooze

onthebooze New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    terry is a suck.
    one of the most overrated players.

16. Sloth

Sloth Member

May 4, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes Barcelona are winning it, and Madrid are spending like crazy, how many teams you included? two. And actually i don't know what your talking about at all, i don't know how there is a way to look past Kenny's return to Liverpool, a man who who will fight for the league, and Man City who are not afraid to buy anyone. Arsenal do well, then fail to take advantage. Could only be a matter of time till the advantage is taken, this league was for taken, Man U took it, every other team was bad. I wouldn't say Man U or Chelsea will definitely win it next year, heck i wouldn't even put them two up top and more chance than the others, because next season is going to be a huge change, and i mean huge. City have been getting stronger and stronger, everyone thought this season was theres and for the taken, it turns out they mess up. But they build on it, and have done, and will do.

It's out of anyone to win the Premier League, teams are getting stronger. You can't deny that, but the main point is, Terry is in a harder league to contend with. And isn't exactly in a confident national team is he?. But like i said i think Puyol is better than Terry, Terry is intelligent and reads the game and is a leader, but Puyol will stop you from more from scoring.

17. Sloth

Sloth Member

May 4, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay i'm going to respect the way how you say stuff since your probably from another country. But how does Terry suck?, and how is he overrated?.

18. Mattcat424

Mattcat424 New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Puyol, he has been consistent all year and he deserved 30 votes. Lol