Who Impressed/Who Didn't???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OutKast3000, Nov 18, 2004.

1. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    Respect. Albright made three or four brilliant stops. He owned Marlon King. Surprised me play after play.

2. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a nutshell, since everyone covered it well...

do NOT invite Ramiro Corrales back to the fold... he was there just to fill a spot, and given his takedown in the box, that would be enough for him not to be invited back...

Steve Ralston did OK, but given that he's been hot and cold in international play he tends to be overlooked... probably a part time player at best right now...

Eddie Johnson continues to improve. Eventually the curve is going to catch up to him, but if he can get timely goals in key stretches of the match, he's here to stay. Scoring at least a goal each and every time will help his cause.

Ching didn't play but as long as EJ continues to impress, he'll be on the bench, but he scored a key goal in a key match so he needs another look.

I can see the trifecta of DMB, Landon, and EJ--that would be a dangerous combo there.

Gooch is only getting started, he should take the red as a learning experience, and then move on from there. He's too much of a prospect to pass up right now. Ditto for Jon Spector--wean them in as slowly as possible.

Landon is, well, Landon. So he disappeared for this game, but he's impressed already and this was a play out the string/don't get hurt match.

Chris Albright, dud as a striker, stud as a defender. He gets invited back--seems to have relit his career as a backliner.

Keller did fine, but this was a game to play out the string. Try someone like Reis or Cannon, just to see what they can do. They always bring in Thronton as the #3 for these types of games don't they? Even if the USA were to lose, at least they battle tested those guys in these key games.

My 2 cents. Cheers!

3. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add about Spector--he's a project at best right now--ditto for Zak Whitbread of Liverpool if he makes it with the senior team. JS will need to crack the Man U lineup if he's to have a shot right now. As noted, he's going to be slowly eased in to see if he's got the goods at that level.

The maxim here is that so as long as they're playing well for club there's a good chance these players will get a callup from the Bruce. Cheers!

4. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    If Spector gets loaned out (maybe West Brom per YA) and gets playing time he should have a good shot as an outside back. Bruce has to like the fact that he can play anywhere on the backline if needed.

I don't think Whitbread has a chance, sounds like he's only a CB to me. Simek sounds like a possibility on the right, maybe Russell.

5. Blutrutsch

Blutrutsch New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    I'm startled over all the good reviews for Albright. Yes, he did a decent job stopping flighted balls and I was a bit surprised about that. BUT -- he gets beat on the turn EVERY time. He simply cannot stay with the attacker one-on-one.

I'd rather see a defender at right back who can get forward than an (ex)forward who can't defend! Dolo is the best bet right now.

6. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My problem with Donovan's game is that against big, physical teams he shrinks from contact, Germany in the WC not withstanding. That was a big game, he was playing on the wing and less likely to face as many hard tackles from all angles. When Claudio went to Scotland, the biggest benifit to his game was he lost his softness - which was a great complement to his touch game. Donovan would be a more complete, dangerous player if he learned how to not shrink from some of the physical parts of the game and playing in B1 would provide him that training.

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who has a double interest in Albright's progress as a right back, I was paying special attention to him during the game. He was covering the thrower.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    More on Albright. He had a good effort, and has a good work ethic. And I sense that he's finally comfortable now as a right back. But long term, he's not the answer. His technical skills are adequate, at best. He often takes several touches to settle a ball, and in close quarters he's vulnerable against a skilled forward. But on the plus side he's fairly athletic, his positioning has improved, and he sends a decent long ball. He certainly deserves further call-ups, but I just don't see him as a starter in a meaningful WCQ.

9. Long Live Maradona

Long Live Maradona New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    TX
    Dempsey just needs more minuites. He also needs to eventually get a regular position. I know he can play every position. But he excels in whatever environment he is in. He will keep having to adjust if he keeps getting thrown in new positions on new team. Against Jamaica, He was thrown out on the left flank. HE did well but

1. He is right footed
    2. better header than crosser
    3. was on a new team
    4. only got about 25 some-odd minuites.

When he gets back to his D-mid role and stays there, We will see that the United States has finally produced a world class D-mid.

And about clint's decision to head the ball out of bounds the game vs chicago causing him to break his jaw.... C'mon...Do you honestly think a player with his maturity would try to head the ball out bounds at midfield by using a diving header. Watch the replay. He lost his balance after being pushed by Brown. Get it together man. I still like ya though.

About the breakaway vs. Jamaica....watch that replay as well. He is goin pretty freakin fast wihich makes his explosion look slow. He speed was timed well by the defender who is like 15 yards on goal side untile they arrived in the box. Two very fast defenders were covering the penalty area to clint's right which blocked off the right footed shot or any pass to Mcbride or Donavan. I thought the decision to stop then go to the left was hurried but well advised. 1 out of 3 times he would have lost that defender for enough time to take a hard left footed shot.

He has more moves than that. When he starts trying them you will all be amazed. I have seen him do them while in college and in small sided keep away games during revs pre game warmup.

10. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    i think these are really good points. to survive in germany, to play consistantly, which he obviously wants and needs to do, landon is simply not going to be able to rest on his laurels, past, or good looks. he's going to have to toughen up, move the ball forward, and generally be much more assertive. good new is, he's at his best when he takes chances and does exactly that. his move to a higher level w/ the inherent pressures has been long overdue.

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I didn't ever see the push and the loss of balance. Then that makes sense to me. Cause before, I thought, what are you doing, Clint? Now, I do feel better.

I'm not sure if your "get it together man, I still like ya though" is aimed at me or Clint? :) I assume it's me. And I hope you're using the term "man" in a sort of generic, "yeah, man," kind of way - 'cause otherwise, I don't qualify (if you get my drift.) :D

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you and Yabo are right on this. And I also look forward to seeing him toughen up in that regard. And then take the field for the Nats with that mentality on a consistent basis.

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I agree, being more physically challenged in germany will male donovan a more well rounded talent...

..still it's his speed which is his biggest asset, playing into space...

albrights physical presence against a physical jamaica side cannot be overlooked...hejduk and cherundolo less physical presence could have been exploited...given the boyz needed to win, the critical aspect of defenders defending was tactically high...

against the more technical, skill based hex sides in mexico, costa rica, guatemala...the outside backs could easily be the whippet approach...

eddie johnson continues to merit inclusion....his play at right mid once onyewu got carded was acceptable...it would be interesting to see how he could do going 90 at rmid in a friendly....beasley on the left with johnson on the right....might open a forward slot for eskandarian paired with a target guy..

with donovan at a-mid, and the attacking speed outside, a lot of space would be available for esky, and given his performance in mls, he excels in exploiting it...

14. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finaly got to watch the game and can honestly say, Did Dpector play? I know he didn't get many minutes but he realy wasn't too involved.

Guys I liked - I did like Albright and thought Dempsey had a very good first outing (but I'm biased). I thought Ralson and Donovan played well. I thought EJ played well but ran out of gas about 20 minutes before he was yanked.

Guys I didn't like - Gooch - we don't need guys that get thrown out. Pablo - though I like him better then Armas. McHead - It's time to retire his jersey. We need to replace him, his time has passed. Sannah - too slow

Too soon to tell - Spector - not enough time to do anything. Twellman - as much as I want him to succeed, he needs more then 10 minutes when we're a man down to do anything. The forward spot is also very crowded these days and unless EJ self destructs, he may fall off the bench.

Guys That didn't play and lets keep it that way - Frankie the Hack - we don't need him anymore. Wolff - EJ has your job. Ching and Casey -see Wolff. Armas - Pablo or Dempsey are both better. JOB - don't need him either. Reyna - time to give him a dinner too. Include McBride with him. Mathis - too much baggage, not worth the effort, provides nothing. Richie WIlliams - (just kidding but he's always on Bruce's mind)

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Boy, Wynalda surely would have had a short USMNT career if that was the standard.

Except dribble around 4 Jamaicans, something that was never done by a US forward.

16. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    some people just keep discounting all the head balls onyewu won against a very physical boyz...

his 1st yellow was soft....

true, he got beat on the left, and his shirt-pulling failed to stop the jamaican...credit the attacker, and discredit corrales coverage of a mistake...

gooch handball...saved a complete break in on keller....might have saved it from going up 2-1...

good point about wynalda getting suckered against the czechs in florence...

onyewu will succeed pope in the middle...put his next to bocanegra and they'll thrive thru 2010!!

17. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I agree with poster who noted how well EJ did once he was withdrawn to more of an RMid. Verrry interesting. I actually didn't think the goal was that great, all things being equal: Donovan Ricketts (Jamaica netminder) got totally frozen by that right-to-left move, but it looked awfully deliberate for a move in the box at this level. Not a lot of pace on the shot but Ricketts was still way too far back on his line to do anything. Guess EJ did what he needed to do in the situation, though....

I thought Donovan played thoughtfully, maybe too much so. Being captain makes him responsible for more than just his own play and I thought it showed. But he's the man, no doubt, and he needs to get used to it now. Let's have him keep the armband, but can we find someone else to take the dead balls? I was disappointed with almost all of them (given this is WCQ level play).

18. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I do wonder what the overall affect of the absence of beasley had on donovan....no one on the pitch offered the attacking threat, and somewhat negated donovan's options...add in the wet turf, and landon was at best average..

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree with your comment about Albright, at least as far as the Jamaica game goes. He was playing pretty much right in front of me throughout the second half and I didn't see him get beaten often, and even when he did he recovered well.

I've got no complaints about Cherundolo, but IMO based on recent form the Albright experiment is worth another look, at least.