"Who I'd like to be the next coach"

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by morry, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    personally I don't understand why we can't throw money at Colin Clarke and steal him from the USL, he can obviously coach to win matches home and away. Plus he has shown he can get more from less over and over again.

2. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let's get Sir Alex Furgeson... he will build some character....

3. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    John Harkes --- make him an offer.

4. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    qft..

5. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Big fan of John Harkes ... but does he have any experience?

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'd be all for Clarke, although he seems to have a cushy job coaching both the Islanders and the Puerto Rican national team.

no thank you. Someone with head coaching experience in MLS please. Or with multiple years of success as an assistant (Mariner).

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    assistant at Red Bull, that's all his coaching experience.

8. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK but if everyone had this policy...

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have issues with the idea of making another guy with minimal (less than Onalfo had) coaching experience at all our new head coach.

10. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A valid concern. For me my list hasn't changed much:

Octavio Zambrano
    Preki
    Paul Mariner
    Paul Rideout
    Kerry Zavagnin
    and maybe Dave Sarachan? He's had considerable success but I get the impression Chicago feel the same about him as we do about Bunker Bob.

Of course there are lots of other proven coaches out there in the world, we just don't know which ones would consider MLS as a career choice.

11. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About as useful on a resume as working at McDonald's.....

12. Kasmatsu

Kasmatsu Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Gardner, KS
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pre Osorio, the Red Bulls have a great track record of crazy good young players. If they could have retained all that talent they would probably be unbeatable now.

13. Screw32

Screw32 New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    TX
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    how about Gansler?

14. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I get the impression since 2005 that the coaching of this team stops after the line-up, the minute they walk on the field they are their own entity, and the only coaching heard is the veterans yelling on the field.

15. Kasmatsu

Kasmatsu Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Gardner, KS
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is actually part of the problem this year. We have young inexperienced defenders, and I think hartman has gotten in their head in a bad way. Then you have Lopez etc forward that want everything to their feet... which is hard with the constant "AWAY! AWAY!" in your ears. Either way you go you get a vet on your ass about something.

16. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Hartman does scream away on virtually every ball that comes within 30 yards of his box.

17. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zambrano - Interesting.
    Mariner - Yes - He's got to break away at some point.
    Preki - Yes, and I do think we could have a chance to get him.
    Sarachan - Maybe - I don't think Chicago ever gave him a fair shake.
    Zavagnin - No - He just got his license like last week in soccer years.
    Rideout - Based on what?
    Harkes - ******** No! I can't stand the superiority complex now from and above average player. Thinks he's god from a time where he was one of the few that just sucked the least.

Dave Dir seemed to do some things decent back when he coached a team with no owners or management at the time. I'd say that was over achieving. Not really that interested, maybe as an assitant.

Gansler - Pass, although I think he could get us stable again, he'd be a re-tread and fading fast. I'm not sure his models would still work with currentl MLS tactics, players and styles. He was very much insert anonymous robot athelete X into my system Y and it'll work - like Onalfo.

Sorber anyone?

18. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I always like John Harkes - and he was so much better than one that just "sucked the least" - he was a very very solid performer for Wednesday while he was there. While we'd had other joke players come over like Alexi and Coby Jones, Harkes actually got the job done and earned a lot of respect doing so.

At the MLS Allstar Game in Utah a few dozen brits interspersed with Americans gathered to see off the Everton team. While the lads from Everton barely paid notice John Harkes came down and palled around with the fans for a bit and was on the way back before a young lad shouted 'John I'm Wednesday' caused him to come back and give the kid an autograph and pose for a couple of pics. He showed a lot of class. The only other person that bothered was one Davy Arnauld ....

I don't want him as a coach because he has negligible experience.

Beyond this my thought this morning was there is too much emphasis on the coach but the Wizards are suffering a systemic failure. I mean with the talent on hand can a coach do much to turn things around? Its certainly not going to happen in one season (even with the relative parity) and some of the older core probably won't be first teamers or playing in 2-3 years. Unless the recruiting changes then what does?

There was also talk on here a while back of Onalfo not necessarily having a completely free hand in terms of selection. Is that my imagination? If not then I'd hope this was also addressed as no decent coach will work in these circumstances.

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's widely considered a wednesday legend by owls fans. i'm not sure how i'd feel about him as coach.

just for poops and giggles, his first ever goal for swfc is one of the reasons why:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_is9XU2yeA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_is9XU2yeA[/ame]

20. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would John Harkes even be caught dead in this town for more than a few hours without an ESPN gun aimed at his head? Maybe after the new stadium is open.....

21. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    GM - Peter Wilt
    TD - Peter Vermes
    HC - Peter Radosavljević (if we're talking possibly available head coach with MLS experience - there are hundreds of international candidates)

22. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think it'd be cool to get Preki. After Chivas' 0-4 drubbing last night, it may be possible.

23. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this Predrag's brother? :)

24. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Wilt comes in here, my mood changes instantly, but I would also be OK with having the coach in charge of player acquisition.

25. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    No to Peter Wilt.