Who here has been with MLS since the begining?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by (TxT), Jul 5, 2005.

1. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just wondering how many people on this board can say that, like me, they watched the first game between the Clash and DC United back in 1996 and have supported the league since.

My optomistic guess would be between 1/7 or 1/6 of the entire bigsoccer community, but it is probably lower than that.

2. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I watched the first game. F-ing awesome when Waldo scored at about the 80th minute or so and the 31K in attendance went wild. I wish I had the opportunity to watch the league more.

Edit: I guess I always assume that almost everyone here has followed the league since the beginning but you're probably right.

3. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I read everything I could about the league from the first time I heard about it (in the run-up to WC94) and, of course, was glued to the TV during that first match.

I'm still waiting for Juan Berthy Suarez to light it up for DC...

4. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i got into mls when carloz ruiz came to the galaxy... since then i knew very little about the league and the only thing i remember watching before that was the final match in the rain with dc and galaxy and galaxy losing. i was only like 10 tho so u cant blame me lol

5. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I began following it in 1998.

6. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've been there since 96 too. Went to the first ever galaxy game at the rose bowl when cobi scored the 1st ever galaxy goal. Been to the first game at the HDC I remember the days when you could catch games on wed. night on espn2 and then I remember the sunday mls game on univision. Remeber the 96 all-star game that was the sh!t. Yeah I've been pretty much hooked since I heard in early 96 that we were going to get a pro league I was in the 7th grade. Rose bowl games where the sh!t too I was there when the TB mutiny made the first trip to L.A. watching Lassiter and El Pibe tear it up was tight too.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have supported MLS thoughout it inception and have defended the league when bashed by some of my Euro friends in college. I will never forget Wynalda's goal and I can't until the day I have a son so I can tell him about that feeling. I don't know if I would have supported the league right off the bat if it had not been for me moving to Kentucky and being 3 hours away from Columbus. I have managed to go to 3-5 games a season since the beginning and have seen most if not all the international games played there. I'm also getting pumped up about attending the All-Star game and seeing some old MLS buddies at Fulham. I have gone through the growing pains and doubt of the league but knew some how it would survive. The play is getting better, new stadiums, more interest, I never thought we would accomplish this in 10 years. MLS has achieved plenty but it doesn't need to sit on its heels. THis sport and league will take off and I will be damned if it doesn't.

8. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season ticket holder for years. Follwed it a bit since 96' but mostly since 98'.

Valderama was the shizzie!

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I saw the first game on the tube. I thought it sucked.

:)

My wife and I went to about a half dozen games in '96, maybe 8 or 9 in '97 (including the final) but we didn't buy season tickets until '98.

10. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've been with the league since the beginning. I even have the USA Today's article framed from when it was announced that the "Shootout" was dead.

Savarese is still my all time favorite MLS player.

And I think the league will continue to grow despite everything that ESPN is doing to kill it off.

11. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the Revs in '96 on tv. Too poor to go, and no car as it was my first year out of college. However since '97 I've only missed two home games (will miss a third this year, all missed due to weddings), and also been to more road games at this point than I can accurately recall the exact number.

12. annoying04

annoying04 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    california
    I've only been watching since the middle of the 2001 season. I have been a Galaxy fan since then.

Go Galaxy!

13. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the first game at my grandmothers house with all my uncles they were all sreaming an shouting when waldo scored. I ended up watching my first galaxy game when they were at the revs for the first time, The galaxy were playing undefeated and were going to lose the game in old foxboro stadium. They ended up winning the game in the last minutes and maintained their undefeated run. WOW that was a long time ago, now we cant win on the road "irony"

14. SoccerReloaded

SoccerReloaded New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    El Paso, TX
    I watched that first game and have been a fan of MLS ever since. I'll be going to my first game later this month when the Wizards visit the Crew. How lucky am I? ;)

15. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    Not that lucky, you're seeing the Crew. ;)

Sorry. Had to be said.

I have and I haven't been with MLS since the beginning. For a lot of years, I was a very casual fan only watching on television when I found time on Saturdays (even after I moved to Chicago which actually had a team). It's actually only been in about the last three years that I've started really paying close attention (as the people on the Fire board can readily tell you).

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've been a fan since 1996, I remember watching Dallas Burn's first game when we beat San Jose in the shootout ( :rolleyes: ), I've been hooked since. Went to my first game on May 23, 1996 when we lost to Tampa Bay 1-0 on a Roy Lassiter goal.

17. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been a fan of the league since it was established in 1995 when the logos and team names were announced. Watched the first game on Tv.

Have managed to attend at least one MLS game per season for all 10 seasons despite not living in an MLS city.

18. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still have the NY Daily News special about WC 94. It list all the squads, their preferred fromations, and WC statistics as well as numerous soccer related articles. I'm planning on framing it since it is falling apart.

I used to have these USA Today layouts that listed the best XI and all the award winners, had the ones from 1996, 97, and 98. They were hanging up on my wall in my room the one day a gust of wind came in and ripped them off my wall ripping them in half.

I forgot to add in my first post that I attended the Mutiny's first game and still have the ticket stub.

19. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st game was July 4th 1998. have missed maybe 2 home games since.

this is my 500th post

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only was I a San Jose season-ticket holder from Day One and was at the inaugural San Jose - D.C. game, but I even started following the formation of the league several years earlier. :D

-G

21. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Like Goodsport, i was following a few years before the first kickoff, although I didn't get to see the original Quakes and george best like he did though cos i lived in Ireland way back then. I did get to see Best on TV for Man United though when i grew up and thats what made me a footie fanatic to begin with.

Thinking about the tradition in here in San Jose, the inaugural game, Waldo's opening goal, the painful days of being a Clash fan lol, the incredible days of being a Quake fan, the two titles, the amazing come from behind win in the 2003 playoffs, Dero's Golden goal in the 2001 cup, Landon's return to SJ this year, it has been one hell of a ride. It is sad that AEG and MLS would even consider not having a team here in the bay area (I know Goodsport, keep up hope, SSV are heroes and we will be here :) ). But to even think that the league shouldn't have a team here is lucicrous, so I urge all of you fans who have been around since day one to write to MLS and let them know that the Earthquakes belong right here, with their history :D

22. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "with" the MLS?

Top two posts from Fas and Goodsie.

However the subtlely reinforcing brainwashing of the thread title has been observed and unmasked by this freethinking bloke.

I have been "with" the Quakes since the first ball was kicked in MLS' existence. I confess, although I had been to an Earthquakes game before MLS (a very well attended one in which George Best featured as I recall) I was not a particular fan or supporter until their resurrection in this their current incarnation.

However, I am not "with" MLS, nor have I ever been particularly. Yes I got carried away that opening day but I have subsequently come to understand that my heart lay with the team not with the league.

I remain skeptical of this league to this day. And I fear my deep reservations about any Quakes fan ever placing loyalty in this league may be justified.

Bottom line: I love the Earthquakes and if our "franchise" (yuk) is moved to Houston or elsewhere, my hope is that the real club, the San Jose Earthquakes, will continue in another league like the USL, so that I can continue to love the Earthquakes.

So no, I am not, in any sense of the word, "with" the passionless, killjoy MLS.

Just as I'm a Tottenham Hotspur fan but not "with" the Premier League. I would rather the Premier League never existed and the Football League absorb the top flight again.

San Jose Earthquakes forever!

23. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: "with" the MLS?

I havent been with MLS since the very first DC/SJ game but close. I started watching in the playoffs with game 2 between DC and NY. By game 3 I was hooked and I still thank Rob Johnson for what he did that day. I was in 5th grade when MLS started so it was pretty hard for me to go to games but now I try to go to RFK as many times as I can. Im still mad I missed the DC/NE playoff game last year but I was in college at the time and couldnt go.

24. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I watched that first game in my Apt in Salt Lake City.. Part of the reason I came back to LA in 1998 was I knew there would never be an MLS team in SLC.. :eek:

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. :)

FAS and Californiaspurs, I read the "with MLS" simply to mean how long I've been following the league's formation and attending MLS games (as you correctly pointed out, I attended the NASL Quakes games from the late-1970's through 1984, and then during the following WSL/WSA/APSL years).

As far as my priorities: as I pointed out here, it's the San Jose Earthquakes first, U.S. National Team second and MLS third. If the Quakes were to be moved, then the league would be dead to me... which is why I'm glad that the league will never be dead to me. ;)

-G