Who Has The Potential To Become A Upcoming European Legend?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pittsy1, Aug 26, 2006.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Huntelaar plays for Holland proper. The stars of this under 21 side are Ismail Aisatti and Otman Bakkal (both on loan at Twente but property of PSV), Maduro (Ajax), Jenner (AZ), Vincken (Feyenoord). Aisatti in particular is very promising.

2. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    I really like Lahm, but left-back isn't the most prestigious position in soccer, far from it. Therefore it will be really, really hard to become a LEGEND. But I have no doubt that he will become [if he isn't already] world class at his position.

3. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    He's been shite this year though..

4. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    It's the Bayern disease. They never were good for the young German players.

5. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I'd disagree. He was pretty good last year. So was Schweinsteiger. I think they're tired.

6. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    I know, that it's a stereotype, but in the past many German 'talents' had a hard time at Bayern.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    er...other stages apart from the World Cup???? EU Cups?? :rolleyes:

You think way too much of the EPL my friend. Trust me, those two competitions are more than enough tp prove world class performance. And though the Bundesliga is not a glamourous league like the Premiership or Liga or Serie A, Bayern Munich is amongst the European Giants! Besides, other than ManU, Chelsea or Liverpool...it would matter not if Lahm was in the EPL.

8. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Clever. I wouldn't have made this statement right now.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why not??? Because their 4th in their own league?
    So is Arsenal.
    So is Real Madrid.
    AC Milan is 6th!!!!

Yet these are still some of Europe's giants.

Ajax is out of the UEFA cup all together and will probably come in 2nd in the Dutch Eredivisie ...yet it is still amongst the giants.

10. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Ofcourse Ajax is no giant. Successes of the past say nothing about the future. Milan struggles against the likes of Celtic, Arsenal plays wonderfull football but is far from consistant and Real is even worse than last year, now that Zidane has quit.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

So for you the giants of football change every year??:rolleyes: I never said sucess of the past rates their future but it's no wonder why the same 5 or 6 teams are in the quarter finals every year along with an average team that had a good year. Porto is a giant then? In 2004, Greece was a giant? If Schalke wins the German cup, they are a giant?
    No, teams that have a historical backround that prove year in and year out that they are on the top of their game are giants...you can't expect these teams that are rich with historic acomplishments to win everything every year, what would be the sense in even competing...

I might have to agree with you on Ajax, though...tough lasr few years, but they will bounce back, and that is what makes them giants...Dortmund, Gladbach, Hamburg all had their ups and went back down and haven't returned to top level for some time now and I am sure many teams in other leagues are the same...thats rhe difference between a club rich in history that continues to mantain that history by bouncing back to real competitive football and a team that has a god run for a few years.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    not every year certainly, but even the "giants" are not eternal... stade reims and nottingham forest may have been termed giants once, but they're struggling for survival now (stade reims may very well be back in topflight football next year, forest perhaps never)... and contrarywise, clubs like chelsea and OL seem to fill all the criteria for becoming one day members of the club.

ajax may bounce back, but it's not certain. bayern has some big problems to deal with. and although real will have to take on water for a very long time to ever sink, those at the helm seem determined to make that happen. i see only one club who was, is and seemingly ever will be a giant: milan

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, so...they fall under the Moenchengladbach and Dortmund category. And as we all know...nothing is eternal!!

Despite a current dip in form you can be sure that you will see these teams back at the European scene as well as being succesful in their leagues, not to mention, being financially sound to attract "big name" players...hence; Giants! What do you see in Milan, that will always make them, a giant as opposed to Bayern, Real or Arsenal?? What I am saying, is that most fans of the sport, would consider these big teams giants, despite their current league's position.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    to remain at the top you have to be, as you say, financially sound to attract "big name" players... but there's more than just turnover to being financially sound. a business model where you need constant influxes of cash (chelsea, RM) to keep in business is not sound. in the case of BM, there are changes coming up in the BL TV contract and other financial factors that may bring a substantial dip in their income.

next, it's not just how much cash you have, but how well you use it, and how well your club is managed generally. there are lots of clubs with a quarter of RM's budget that are managed much better. mind you there are also some who are managed even worse... when you realize that lyon and marseille work on almost identical budgets (in fact until very recently both PSG and OM had larger budgets than OL) you can see what i mean.

last consideration: who's the giant? the club or an individual who makes it go? take RA away from chelsea, wenger away from arsenal, or aulas away from OL... would these clubs be able to keep performing without them? not always certain.

all the clubs in question are concerned by one or more of these achilles heels. except, imo, milan.

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

You still haven't stated why??

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. So we could define giants one way by saying that even if they lose out crashing in their league or the CL one or 2 years they will still be able to come head-to-head in the next season and once again be contenders for the title of whatever competitions they are playing in, in part due to the monetary value of the club and the ability to buy a good coach and new good players.

Agree, but rather irrelevant to the whole "Who is a giant..." thing going on here.

It is the club, of course...because the club as the "giant", they have the prestige to attract and the money to buy "giants" for a coach and "giants" as star players....This is what makes the club; a giant!!. Because it can usually keep regenerating these giant stars in the locker room (coaches and players). And let's not forget that most of these giants, are representative of their country and you would normally see fans coming from all over the counrty and even the world (Asian markets) as opposed to just their home town i.e. Bayern v. Dortmund!!

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    - they've got enough money

- they use it more wisely than shelling out tens of millions for the last guy they saw on TV. they even find kids like gourcuff for a song.

- they don't change management every 6 weeks

- the results speak for themselves. not only are they second on the all time list of C1 champions they are the only team to have made it past the group stage in each of the past 4 CL tournaments, were finalists twice and champions once. all done quietly, and at no time did it seem it was "their year"... it's always their year. and believe me, i'm no fan of the rossoneri by any means. i just give credit where due.

18. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Arturo Lupoli signed a pre-contract with Fiorentina today and he will move their in January. He's been scoring boatloads of goals in the Coca Cola Championship, let's see how he does in Serie A next year.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Good point, and that would definetly be reasons to consider them a giant. I do believe that Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona and Manchester United would also be giants, for the some of the same and other reasons. I would have to go down the list of each team and i won't do that though...time, there's not enough. But if fans from their teams want to explain why their team is a "giant"...then feel free to do so here.

20. Jerzeslugga

Jerzeslugga New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Galloway, New Jersey
    C.ronaldo....

especially once he comes to the la liga...

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Forest were never a giant club. They were a very well run medium sized club who punched well above their weight for a very short space of time.

Forest will almost certainly get back to the top division in time. They are drawing 20,000 a week in the third tier - you make it sound like they a dying away - but football below the top tier England is very strong, with nowhere else having the same level of support.

22. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Arsenal and Chelsea do not belong in that list. While they have recently done well domestically, they only have one European cup final between them, ever, and were average domestically before Wenger and Abramovich, and will be average again once they go.

Even United can't be compared to Europe's elite as they had a massive dry spell that would be unthinkable to a club like Barca.

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That seems unfair. Even Barcelona had a massive dry spell, from the 1960s until the arrival of Cruyff in the 1970s.

A big club in my view is a club that throughout its history has had widespread loyal support.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A giant club is a club that is to be reckoned with and has what it takes to win the title of any European competition with most of the odds in their favor (due to squad and coach), and if they have history to back 'em up...more so!!!

25. essie_majedi

essie_majedi New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    So. Cal
    david beckham
    wayne rooney
    ryan babel
    cesc fabregas
    philip lahm
    raul