Who Has The Potential To Become A Upcoming European Legend?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pittsy1, Aug 26, 2006.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That is precisely my point, with all that talent they didn't do better than they're doing now yet here you are whingeing about it! I don't understand your complaints. Everybody knows this isn't a top generation of Dutch footballers. So what? We've been through bad patches before. The difference being that now we continue to perform consistently even despite having less in-depth quality.

Seriously blank out all thoughts for a moment, look at the list below and assume this is A football nation's record and not necessarily Holland's, and then try to form a neutral opinion on it.

This national team has:
    1. Consistently been in the world's top 10 for the past 20 years.
    2. Has lost one out of its last 19 competitive matches.
    3. Has a population of 16 million.
    4. Many of its footballers play in the biggest leagues for big clubs.
    5. The popularity of its domestic league is bigger than ever before in its history.
    6. Its youth teams have consistently reached the knock out stages of their international tournaments in each age category in recent years.
    7. Its managers develop talent, manage youth programmes and coach clubs and countries around the world.

Can you seriously look at that list and think 'oh dear, that football nation is in a pretty bad state'?

2. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Keep your bullshit.

I thought we were talking about the current crop.

What were we facing?

Yes, and thirty years ago it was even less.

Not surprising, as these days foreigners are cheaper than homegrown players.

Good thing the crowd still likes the game!
    Totaly irrelevant, though.

I don't care about youth teams. Only about the players they produce. Running harder wins you youth games, but not on the highest level.

And now look which teams they are coaching and look at their age. Most class managers are not from the current crop. The only exception is Rijkaard and most likely Van Basten will join him.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    1. We are. They're now no. 6 in the Fifa rankings and that's the lowest they've been ranked under Van Basten's leadership.
    2. The Czech Republic, Romania, Ivory Coast, Argentina and the Serbs, among others. All have more class than, say, Northern Ireland, wouldn't you say?
    4. What kind of a rubbish argument is that, considering that none of our national team starters are bench warmers for their club? Do you think Chelsea would start Robben if they thought he wasn't good enough? Arsenal Van Persie? Liverpool Kuyt?
    6. The point being, how can you slam our youth development when they're world class in their age categories? Who else are you going to compare our youngsters with, seasoned professionals?
    7. This made me laugh out loud also. Have you CHECKED the age of your typical international manager, at all? Do you even REALISE that Van Basten and Rijkaard aren't even in their forties yet? That IS our new generation of managers, they were all still playing football ten years ago for heaven's sake! Would you like Ajax to be managed by 20 year olds?

And a special mention for 5:

That just about totally sums you up, a total disrespect for the crowds and the fans who actually finance the Dutch football association. Football's ALL about the fans. Without fans there is no football. Whether YOU like it or not is totally irrelevant. The Dutch crowds love their domestic league and without them paying for it you wouldn't be able to watch it on your television.

4. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    1. Is there anything the Fifa does well?
    2. I'm not even getting into that.
    4. I don't think you understand what I was saying. And, like I said, it was never about Robben and Van Persie etc.
    6. They aren't worldclass. Not when it matters (read: on the highest level).
    7. Just a glimpse of intelligence would do.

5. Fans also like good football and prizes.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm sorry Bertje but to me you're just another ajax fan who's bitter about his club's glory days being over, and that inspires your negativity about Dutch football in general. The vast majority of Dutch fans enjoy their club and their national team regardless of them not always playing good football. Because they're fans and they know that football is about much more than football to start off with. This is something it seems you can't understand.

6. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Interesting point.

7. JohnyBGoodAgain

JohnyBGoodAgain New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Messi could be really great player

8. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    Why don't you say Adu? DC United? Anyway he's coming to Man Utd hopefully..... :) :rolleyes: :cool:

9. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Provided he's allowed to play at center mid I agree. I also think since the question is about potential and none of these is yet a legend (assuming you meant players who play in Europe)...

Messi
    Rooney
    Fabregas
    DeRossi
    Lahm

10. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    The new Ronaldo, post-World Cup, is the best young player in the world at the moment. Best winger, no doubt.

11. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Robinho and Kaka.

12. Brandon313

Brandon313 Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    Diego without a doubt, he is really shining in the Bundesliga. Give him a few more seasons and he will be with the biggest clubs in Europe

13. Jaga

Jaga New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    in my house
    Radoslaw Matusiak could be an elite in few years

14. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Bastian Schweinsteiger:

Only 22 but still participated in 1 Euro and 1 World Cup and 41 Caps for Germany with 13 goals and 17 assists as a left midfielder and sometimes left defender.

Now progressing to the central midfield and playmaker role at Bayern Munich.

If his way stays on course, he has more than 10 years as a main player of the german NT and Bayern or other big european clubs in his feet, which could make him the next german record international, beating Matthäus´150 caps, because never in history of german football a 22 year old had 41 caps.

15. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Until Podolski breaks that record lol

But Kevin Prince Boateng will become so good that Schweinsteiger will be shining his boots :D

Unfortunately he will be at Bayern by then too :(

16. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I think the two in my eyes that are European are Klaas Jan Huntelaar, and Rafael Van der Vaart.

As for non-europeans, Aguero heads my list. I must say I was impressed the first time I watched him for Atletico. He has that drive that great players have.

Of course there is Messi, and Rooney. Let's see what happens. They all have potential, let's see what happens in the next couple of years.

As for a wildcard from my country of Serbia, watch out for Simon Vuckevic, and Dusan Basta, and Bosko Jankovic.

Jankovic is currently playing for RCD Mallorca and has already started to score since coming from FC Red Star Belgrade this summer.

17. fathermaxi

fathermaxi New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    bochum
    messi, rooney, fabregas, torres (maybe), podolski

18. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    torres is overrated i dunno why everyone outside of spain believes torres is a good player. i say upcoming legends...robinho, messi, rooney.

19. Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Earth: Europe : ??
    It must be his mindboggling 12-15 goals a season .. :rolleyes:
    I really don't understand why Sir Alex Ferguson is drooling over Torres, if he wants a quality spanish striker, there is only 1, David Villa.

20. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    True, i dont know why he is so obsessed with him. Villa is good, but maybe he thinks he can get Torres for less. Plus, Chelsea want Villa 4 Sheva. :eek:

21. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    I sometimes don´t know wether to smile or cry, how underrated Schweinsteiger is.

I smile, as a Bayern supporter, because it let´s me hope that there will be one or another year that the big money clubs keep their hands off from him.

I cry, because the same people that don´t see the big influence he already has on Bayern and Germany, as the player with the most games for Bayern and Germany in 2006, are dreaming from Messi, Rooney. C. Ronaldo, Ribery as the best young ingternational prospects and would pay fantazillions for them, while all of them are far away from the number of goals and assists Schweini has delivered this year.

Actually, I don´t know any player on the big stages, may he be younger or older, that has a bigger rate of long distance piledriver goals than Schweini in the last 12 months.
    I remember at least 15 for Germany or Bayern.

22. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    I sometimes don´t know wether to smile or cry, how underrated Schweinsteiger is.

I smile, as a Bayern supporter, because it let´s me hope that there will be one or another year that the big money clubs keep their hands off from him.

I cry, because the same people that don´t see the big influence he already has on Bayern and Germany, as the player with the most games for Bayern and Germany in 2006, are dreaming from Messi, Rooney. C. Ronaldo, Ribery as the best young ingternational prospects and would pay fantazillions for them, while all of them are far away from the number of goals and assists Schweini has delivered this year.

Actually, I don´t know any midfield player on the big stages, may he be younger or older, that has a bigger rate of long distance piledriver goals in the last 12 months than Schweini .
    I remember at least 15 for Germany or Bayern.

23. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Carlos Vela

24. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    I had no idea Schweinsteiger was UNDERATED. He is one hell of a player, another prospect is 19 year old Daniel Sturridge, the Man City player [unfortuantely]

25. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    Very True, great player