Who goes. Who stays, and who do we trade for?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ArsenalTexan3, Nov 28, 2004.

1. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    I think they had one assist between them last season so you have to wonder why they are running forward, they certainly don't contribute much to the attack and leave the back w/o cover. Yes, yes I know attacking soccer but job one for a defender is to defend and when Dallas' outside backs run forward they can't depend on Davis/Quell or ROB to stay at home and do the job.

The other point I don't understand regarding this thread is that there seems to be some thought that players need to go, there are only 20 players on the roster now. Eight players can be added w/o anyone leaving. Maurin and Wag's can move to the developmental roster and possibly Salyer as well leaving three open spaces on the senior roster and five spots on the developmental. If we are talking trades then fine but if we are saying waive or cut/release players that seems foolish given the expanded rosters. Big Toni has indicated he will not be back so there's another spot.
    I need to recheck my numbers but the point is don't just dump players.

2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    But if we can cut some underperforming vets and add cheaper youngsters who still have a chance to develop into something, then I'm all for it. There is still a salary cap to worry about, and indications are it won't be raised enough to allow a team to add 8 more well paid players. Plus, we need to add some quality to our starting lineup...another forward, and probably two midfielders. So, it isn't just a question of roster spots, but of salary space, as well [\john harkes].

3. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    When was this announced? The official word at the Town Hall Meeting was that he went home for the Holidays and will be back at the turn of the year. Did something change?

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Could someone please describe for an outsider what allocations/discoveries are available to FCD this year? Is it the infamous FA allocation, the '04 YSA, the #4 SDP, and a discovery, or is there more besides? Thanks.

5. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Just have to trust me, there are more issues than just soccer.

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Like him being in shape?

7. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    I thought I'd bump this one back up. FCD has 19 players still associated with the team though some/most probably are not under contract at this time. For those keeping score at home the 2004 roster started with 24 players and now the five listed below are gone. Nine players can be added through trades, the draft, allocations, discoveries and trials to reach the new 28 player roster.

Gone from 2004 roster:

Jason Thompson traded to DCU for a draft pick.

Jason Kreis traded to RSL for draft picks.

Toni Nhleko signed with Walsall.

Matt Behncke picked by SL in the expansion draft.

Jordan Stone retired.

I guess the position hit hardest is forward where only EJ and Rhine are still on board so you would think CC would draft for this positon as well as using dicovery and/or allocation. With overall numbers this thin you would think any future moves would involve players for players and not just draft picks or future considerations.
    With January finally here we will soon know who's staying, going and coming per the title of this thread. There should be lots to discuss over the next 30 days.

8. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points. I do believe that CC is going to bring in a starting-quality forward and a draft pick that will probably be Eddie's replacement once he goes overseas either after next season or in '06.

The other allocation will probably go to fill the central midfield and then you wait and see if he can bring in someone to be left wing.

The remaining draft priorities will probably be hard to guess at this point since we don't know (as you mentioned) who will be back.