Who gets the USOC Final?

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by jmeissen0, Sep 25, 2003.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Soldier Field has a Mexico-Uruguay match on 10/15... perfect set-up for a double-header. If the USSF drops the ball on this one... they are 100% brain dead.

2. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Just cross your fingers on this one. It's probable we'll host but there exists a decent possibility Metros or DC could.

Gut feeling but I'd root for DC next Wednesday.

3. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it automatically go to the higher seed?

4. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    No.

5. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    If DC wins, the match should go to RFK. The final deserves to be played on a field lined only for soccer.

As of now I give DC the edge in the semi. Metro will be without Clint, carrying a red card from the quarter final.

A double-header at SF may or may not produce a big crowd. I just think the OC Final deserves to stand on its own.

If Metro wins the semi -- play the final anywhere but the Swamp. Looks like the gridirion is down for good -- or at least till next spring.

6. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    It will produce a big crowd no doubt. At least 40k.

7. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I don't think DC has the edge hosting wise.

As for the drawing ability of a SF double-header, it's Mexico-Uruguay in one of the first events in the new stadium and it's projected to sell out.

8. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Wherever they play, the USOC Final should not take second-billing to an international friendly. Are they considering a neutral site?

9. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Yawn.

No.

10. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Polite to cover the mouth when you yawn.

Really, why would you want it to take second billing? To a friendly, no less. This thing's been sold short in the past. Now I definitely don't want it in Chicago.

11. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago
    There was a great crowd for the final at Soldiers Field back in 2000 against Miami...I don't know the attendance numbers yearly, but Chicago did a great job getting people there.

Who cares if it's second billing or not? The more people the better...

12. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Really, all in all, opinions are all the BS boards are for. Or do you have the "red phone" direct to USSF HQ so that your opinion is word. Have a little tact, Mike.

13. Fireman

Fireman Member

Mar 2, 2000
    Upper Deck
    Actually the attendance for the open cup final in 98 was 18k and 20k in 00

14. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC

In addition to USSF, doesn't a large share of the revenue for such a game go to the respective federations of those two countries? If so, I would assume the agreement allocating those revenues has already been signed, so wouldn't USSF just be throwing away money if they put the USOC game with a game for which they can't renegotiate to get any more gate revenue? In other words, Mexico and Uruguay are probably already entitled to __% of the gate, so what benefit does USSF get by making it a doubleheader (especially if it will sell out regardless)?

Of course, if USSF usually loses money on the USOC final (which they may) and just want to break even, then it would make a lot of sense.

15. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a good point here, and if its true that the M-U friendly has sold out then USSF won't get a cent from having the game as a doubleheader.
    To bad the Metros don't have a stadium to stage the final if they win on Wednesday. At this point a RFK final is the only one that seems fisable, unfortunately.

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Two things:

USSF is ALREADY making money off the Mexico-Uruguay match. Both Federations are required to pay USSF a percentage of the gate for the privlege of staging the match in this country. For that matter, so are AEG and the Chicago Fire, too ... they are the promoters.

And: The Metros' bid to host the final includes the use of Giants' Stadium. Don't ask me how, or why, but it does.

I still think it will end up in Chicago, but the other two bids are viable also, I think.

17. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    In a perfect world, I agree with this comment.

But it's now 2 weeks before the USOC final, the location hasn't been set, and there has been no marketing.

It is way to late for a stand-alone cup final to draw a respectable crowd on a Wednesday night. We are heading towards a final like last year where we had 50 people watching in Columbus.

So, YES, I would definately rather see the USOC played in front of 30,000 - 50,000 fans as second billing. Perhaps the Fire might win over a few hundred fans for next year. Seems by-far the lesser of two evils.

18. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this right? As I understand it, the USOC and MLS are entirely separate competitions--red cards from one do not carry over to the other. That's why, for example, Etch's red in the last game DC played in the USOC prior to this year (in 2000) was enforced in this year's competition. Though there would be a certain sense of justice if Clint's punishment for throwing an elbow to Convey's skull was enforced against DC.

19. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    clint got a red card in the Quarterfinal game, has nothing to do with the DCU MLS game. Clint is an ass.

20. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Not to mention money...sure, USSF may keep the lion's share of the gate from a standalone USOC Final, but would you rather have 80% of 5000 people at 15 bucks a pop or 40% of 60,000 people with an average ticket price of 25 dollars?

About the only real problem with the final being in Chicago is the game will probably have to start at 5 or 6pm. :-/ It'd almost certainly be part of a tripleheader featuring that match, the Nowak testimonial game and the Mexico-Uruguay match.

21. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were there any reliable sources claiming the final might be in Chicago or is this just pure speculation on our part here on BS ?

If the mexico - uru game /nowak testimonial is sold out adding the Open Cup final won't make anyone any extra money. The only way to make any extra money is if you can sell more tix because of it.

I say if final held in Chicago as a triple header USSF won't make any extra money, will have scheduling problems as well for a mid week game.

If its in DC /RFK they might get the usual 15k at best,maybe less.

NY/NJ Giants stadium or Yurcak field 8-5K no more, there is no time to promote.

The answer for Open Cup final is to pick a location ahead of time, include it in an MLS season package, promote it to death ala MLS Cup Final, sponsors TV , all 9 yards and some.

22. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, When Rochester beat Colorado in '99, the semis and finals were played in Columbus. After the Crew lost in the semis, the final was attended by only 200 raucous Rhino fans.

Remember, there are no guarantees that any MLS clubs will make the final. It's not an MLS event. Until the USSF puts some money into marketing the OC, giving the final to a participant is the only way to go. Folks aren't going to travel hundreds (or thousands) of miles to attend a weeknight match, OC Final or not.

23. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are looking at the wrong way here,

MLS/USSF are working hand in hand the winner of the Open Cup ( 99% mls team) represents our contry and MLS on the international stage ( ok concacaf) it is in their interest to make this work and to build awarness. Clearly the way its done now its wrong so why not make some changes and try it. MLS Cup is in LA there is no garantee that the Galaxy will be in it, same thing could be with the US Open cup. Most soccer fans will go to this event if its advertised the right way and promoted as a major event. Important thing right now is to build awarness, they might have to do a doubleheader or a musical group or fireworks , whatever it takes this is the way to do it.

24. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with Soccerfan here. This is an event unto itself that needs to be setup quite a bit a head of time and then promoted to death. I don't think it especially matters where the match is played, in an MLS City, in a prospective MLS City, packaged with a double header in Miami. Whatever.

I can't even begin to imagine the thought process that is involved in picking a location at the last minute. Based upon last years results, putting it in one of the finalists hometown at the last minute doesn't work out very well when you could be selling out some 50000 person stadium... and we all know how good that makes our sport look on TV.

-r

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The USSF LHUSOC Final will be held October, 15, 2003 at Giants Stadium.

They game will be televised on FSW.

Hope the game draws a big crowd !!!