Who does everybody think will go up from the championship next season?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by Ipswichfan4life, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Ipswichfan4life

Ipswichfan4life New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Championship. i think it will be as follows:

1st. Wolves
    2nd. Palace

3rd. Preston
    4th. Sheff utd
    5th. Scum (Norwich)
    6th. Derby/Leicester

13. Us (Ipswich) next season has got mid table written all over it for us.

Relegated:
    Cardiff
    Millwall
    Crewe (although i have a soft spot for Crewe i wouldnt want to see them drop)

Anybody else think this will be the case or do you have other teams you think will be in there?

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wolves looked very good when they played us at the tail end of last season. In fact they were the only team we played who impressed me. On that I'd put them as likely to go up. Southampton will probably be right up there too.
    Norwich and Palace might suffer from thinking it'll be easy to get back up, and some of their players might not have the same fight for the battle that they had two years ago.

Sheffield United are starting to get that look of a club who have outstayed their welcome in that part of the table.

as for Ipswich, well I hope whovever Nicky Forster's strike partner is is a patient man, because he'll have a very long wait before he gets a pass from our Nicky.

Reading need to sign a few players if we are to have a chance of the play-offs. Currently our squad is thinner than a supermodel on a hunger strike. Somewhere between 12th and 8th beckons for us.

Overall though, the league will probably be just as crap as last year

3. Ipswichfan4life

Jun 3, 2005
    Ipswich, Suffolk

Your probably right about the league being as crap as last year, however with the caliber of teams now in the league it should really go up becuase you got sheff wed and hull coming up.

Sam Parkin is partenering Forster this season, could be interseting year.

Also having a small squad isnt a bad thing, everyone knows each other well and therefore gets used to a set pattern of play so it might work out ok for you.

Still loving that away game we had with you last season 1-1. Quality

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Wolves and the three relegated teams are looking good bets to be fighting it out to go up.

Norwich and Palace have stronger teams than when they went up last time, they don't look like having to sell just to balance the books.

Southampton do need to sell, but they've got a strong youth setup, decent squad and Redknapp was very good at taking Portsmouth up, so he might well do the same.

5. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    Wolves need a settled forward line, else we ain't going anywhere. Our only proven goalscorer is on the transfer list!!! :eek:

I honestly haven't got a clue who'll go up this year.

6. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    He also took Southampton down last season. It'll be interesting to see if Sir Clive Woodward has any effect there this season.

7. timberley11

timberley11 New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I think it will depend on whether Southampton and Palace can keep on to Crouch and Johnson. If both want to figure in England plans I would beleive they both realize they have to be playing in the Premiership.

I fancy Derby or even Leeds to make a return

8. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Our new gaffer Phil Brown has really impressed me with the things he says on the radio, it's not just what he says but he's got the type of voice that you'd listen to and trust. He also seems to have hit the ground running judging by the number of triallists we have at the club and we've signed two new players already.

9. NickSaints

NickSaints New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Southampton
    I hope we're in the shake up at the end although it's gonna depend a lot on whether we can adjust quickly. Many many clubs have gone down, found life difficult initially and not recovered in time for promotion or play offs.

Reckon Wolves and Leeds will definitely be around and probably Palace too

10. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    I personally just want millwall to go up

Just so I can see those bastards FINALLY in the premiership.

11. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    I think Wolves will be there or there abouts, along with Palace and Leicester. We will go about our business as usual and be in the mix, and even if we win the league we still won't get any praise for it. When we won it in 2004 people said we were lucky, how can 8 points clear of second and 14 from 3rd be lucky??

And it breaks my heart to see the binmen in such trouble, though Sheepshanks will probably bring out a rule where teams begginning with I and ending in H start with a ten point bonus seeing as he wants to change the rule so the team which finishes third automatically goes into the playoff final. Which would have been very beneficial to his plastic cockney binmen.

12. the philistine

the philistine New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    With regards your comments on changes to the play-off rules I'm an unbiased observer when it comes to spats between East Anglian rivals. I think the play off rules need lokking at. They have obviously been a good inovation in the game because they make for less dead games at the end of a season. However, statistically since playoffs began, the only two sides to finish in a play off position other than third and survive the following season have been Birmingham and Liecester. Whereas, the only two sides to finish third and go up via the play offs have both stayed up the following season. One rule I would like to see introduced is one that says you must finish within 6 points of the highest placed team eligible for the play offs in order to be eligible to take part. This I think would increase the chances of any side going up being able to survive the following season.

13. DesWalker

DesWalker New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I like the playoff system as it is....

Maybe not into the Prem as for the points stated before....the quality of the team finishing 6th against 3rd is definately distinct.

For League 1 & 2 the playoff system is great (not biased at all!) adds extra excitment to the end of the season. Also, the quality of teams from 3rd and 6th may not be as big as the Championship teams. Also, provide a great day out for the likes of Hartlepool and gives them extra revenue.

Up the owls

14. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    Wolves have missed out on promotion twice in the play-offs after finishing third. However, they do keep the season alive so I wouldn't like to see them go (hell, we snuck in at the death when we finally did go up!).

I have thought that maybe there should be some sort of bias towards the 3rd place team though - the number of times that the 3rd place team have failed to go up, despite technically being the best team out of the 4, while the team finishing 6th tends to go up remarkably often. However, it does annoy me when the argument against the play-offs is annually brought up by the 3rd placed team after failing to go though - get over it. Everyone knows the system before the first game of the season kicks off.

My only criticism of the play-offs is that the team that eventually goes through is disadvantaged by the reduced amount of time available to sign players in the close season.

15. Ipswichfan4life

Jun 3, 2005
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Ha your saying things about our Chairman?
    How about another great Delia Smith rallying call at half time? You know the one that every team in the country laughing at you because of.
    Remeber that?
    she has obviuosly got a drink problem, what a great person to have in charge of a football club.
    Hope you feel really embarrased about it moron!
    Your club will never have the history or the support that Ipswich has!
    you only got 26,000 people to watch you in the prem HA, most were probably away fans anyway!
    We got an average of 27,000, with 30,000+ for the big games and that is for the championship!
    Hope you budgies fail misreably this season as usual!
    Plastic Cockney Binmen? run that by me again

16. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1. Norwich
    2. Southampton
    --------------
    3. Wolves
    4. Reading
    5. Crystal Palace
    6. Preston
    --------------
    7. Sheff United
    8. Leeds Utd
    9. Leicester
    10. Derby County

Ipswichfan i have to agree with you, i'd love to see Ipswich go up for local reasons but i can only see a midtable finish :(

17. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Take it they don't have binmen in Norwich then? :D

18. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I think QPR could be my dark-horse. ;)

19. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beating Iran will surely give them the world of confidence :D

20. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No chance, they had to sell off their top four players from the last few years for financial reasons. The team is very week and will do good just to avoid the drop. Steve Claridge has a really hard task ahead of him. He was like the sixth choice for the manager job after Wise was forced out. And cancelling the Iran game will not help.

21. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
  23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    What history, still living on some trophy you won 24 fvckin years ago. Your shite now and will be for a while. Sorry, but the last i knew the spread of fans was about even so don't give us this bigger club bollocks.

Thats because it only holds 26,000 you dumb fvck binmen(if it held more we would still fill it). Which meant a sell out every home game numpty. Plus our away support was unbelievable this year, which it always is. I'm not going to get in an arguement with some schoolkid (you must be, calling yourself Ipswichfan4life, any sane adult would pick something a little less "wanky" shall we say) because i believe both of our clubs have great support and only a schoolkid would resort to "we're bigger than you ne ne nene ne!"
    Fvck me, you only ever see Ipswich fans at Portman Road, never seen any at any of the England away games i've been to. We always have a sizable presence at England games but never seen no binmen. Which is a shame, it would be fun!!
    Enjoy the mid-table mediocraty that faces you this year binboy.

25. Ipswichfan4life

Jun 3, 2005
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Ha schoolkid?
    my name Ipswichfan4life is there because thats what i am! unlike you so called Norwich fans who have suddenly turned up just cause you did something good for once!
    Hope you enjoyed your brief time in the Premier League it will be a long time till your there again.

p.s. at the England games ive been, i have never seen a budgie supporter!