Who Does Clarke Select Now?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Onionsack, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With 4 FC Dallas players on the starting team does Clarke do as so many other all-star managers do and show love to his team or does he do the honorable thing and select the best avaible players not in the First IX?

The commish will pick Adu and someone else again this year (Djorkeaff or Chivas USA guy maybe)

Clark might be tempted to select Garlick as the back up keeper or Simo.

Noonan, Twellman, Gaven, Davis, Ralston, Robinson, Duviant, Marshall, Cannon, ...blah blah..the list is long so i am curious how he goes about picking these 5 guys.

2. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another d-mid for sure. Pablo or Zavagnin

2 more defenders.

1 more goalie.

1 more midfield/forward. Donovan can obviously play up top so whether it's a forward or midfield doesn't really matter.

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Clarke will do a Joe Torre and pick Valakari, Goodson, Rhine, etc to fill out the lineup :)

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wouldn't say it but reading between the line when talking to him I think Clarke will pick Valakari off FCD... but after that I have no idea.

5. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Simo has been one of FCD's best and most consistent players, I would have picked him ahead of Vanney if that were the choice. I think the voters gave Vanney lots of credit for FCD's defensive turn around from 2004 and someone needed to get some recognition for it. If Simo is selected the 'homer' call will be out because it was not a name like Pablo, Kerry Z. or Armas.
    The one I would question of the starters is Pope, he's at the center of one of the worst defenses this league has ever seen, he just hasn't had an All-star season.

6. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, you may want to put some stock in Buzz' comments there. He picked ten of the 11 starters... and has the coach's ear (or, gets lots of info from him and has a good feel for the guy).

http://3rddegree.matchnight.com/ - see the Practice Observations from Tuesday.

Me? I think he should consider taking the best players left that are on teams not represented. DC - Moreno. SJ - Brad Davis, Ronald Cerritos or Danny Califf. Colorado - Cannon (MAYBE Mastroeni). CDC? Hell, who knows. Columbus - Hejduk, I guess....

Who from Chicago? Does Jacqua make it as the token Fire player? Chicago as a team is getting results, but no one player has really stuck out.

If Clarke takes anyone other than one of Simo, Goodson or Garlick, I would have a hard time arguing that he isn't just taking his boys. Simo does deserve it.

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Mario Ivan Guerrero

8. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    There is no "c" in Jaqua.

9. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah - good points on the Chicago folk. I still think that Nate is Chicago's best bet, but there are other, more deserving forwards (esp. Noonan.)