Who do you want in the net when the Nats start qualifying next year?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TWR, Sep 20, 2003.

1. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Bruce should select whichever MLS keeper he thinks had the best year. You do not need to call in any of the Premier League keepers for games against Antigua and who ever else we will demolish in the first round. It's a good chance for the second tier goalies to get some National team experience and also lessens the travel that one of the top 3 do.
    For the second and third rounds whomever is playing best in England should be the starter.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we all know that Bruce doesn't need to pull over any of the European keepers for the early rounds. as for this argument about Friedel and Keller at the prior WC (and Jeff Agoos), let's keep it real. Keller beat out Friedel in '98 and was slated to be the starter at the WC in '02 if not for the injury that he suffered in the month prior to the WC's start. I've always liked Keller's performance better for the Nats. With that being said though, Friedel IS a world class goaltender and most of the goals we gave up in that tournament WERE in fact the direct result of the fiasco that was Bruce Arena's love for Jeff Agoos. Agoos was as bad as a defender could be, and if not for the the phantom injury that he faked to get off the field in the middle of the Poland debacle, he would have proven his ineptitude even further. By my account, he was directly responsible for 4 or 5 of the goals he was on the field for, and he was only ON the field for 5 goals ........... so you do the math.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

We can put DJ Countess in goal at the start of qualifying and still make it out of the first round. *snicker*

4. Metallifreak

Metallifreak New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Santa Ana, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any other GK will be fine as long as it is not Kasey Keller. I never want to see his Face as US GK.

5. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of these three will be asked to leave England when we have to play the likes of Grenada or Puerto Rico in the first rounds. It will be an MLS keeper - and no one right now is more ''on'' than El Gato, Kevin Hartman.

6. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    Well it's been a while since I seen Adin Brown play in person but I still think he has the qualities to be challenging Howard in a few years for the US No1. I do know something about the position and I could change my mind. I could be wrong...but that's my opinion for now. I believe we need someone tall and strong. I don't think Hartman makes it to the Nats in a big way and I guess I'm just guessing Brown could, I have no doubt Howard will edge out the likes of Friedel and Keller next WC.

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think DJ's loaded with talent. I don't think we should use a keeper for our overage spot in the Olympics and let D.J. have his shot.

Yes he's given up a lot of goals this year, but Schmeichel or Kahn would have given up a lot of goals with the Burn this year. Not as many as DJ but their fair share.

As far as the three listed, I too would like to see Brown in the nets for any 1st round minnows or meaningless games.

After that it's hard to say. I'd take any of the three above, but at the moment I prefer Howard and Friedel to Keller. I thought Keller was not all that sharp in the Gold Cup. Good, but not dominant. Certainly not like Howard's performance in the Confed Cup.

8. angusmcpresley

Jun 6, 2002
    Melbourne
    I just think we should count our blessings that we can even have this discussion -- lots of teams are scrambling to find even one goalie the calibre of any of these three guys.

I picked Friedel because he was keeper of the year in the EPL last year, which is no small feat, and he has WC experience. Whoever said his WC performance was poor is going against every analyst I've ever heard, as well as the opposing team players he faced.

I've been having a blast, though, watching Tim Howard play for Man U. Whoever said he should stay with his EPL squad during WC qualifying, though, might want to consider that he's only facing 2-3 shots per game these days, tops. Man U's defense has been incredible. Even with Agoos gone from the US Nats, whoever the US keeper is will be seeing a lot more action than Timmy has lately...

9. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Why?

10. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    There's no doubt that Keller was one of the best ever US players! Most of us always loved him! I don't think he will be number 1 again.

11. Panagioti

Panagioti New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    I think it would be fine to call in any keeper from England as long as it is on official FIFA dates. But there is no need to call in 2 or 3 when only one will play. Call in one from England, then a sub or 2 from MLS.
    I have no problem with either Friedel or Keller as first string. I think Howard should be 3rd choice until he gets more caps.

12. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I voted for Friedel, but I don't think you can go wrong with he, Keller or Timmy in qualifying. Frankly it may be overkill. Adin Brown, Rimando, Hartman would be fine.

I got a laugh out of the DJ Countess talk. I have watched him here in Denver vs the Raps (New owners of an SSS!!!) and I think the poor kid is just awful.

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    All three. I feel very confident that any one of those three can fill the roll.

Timmy is a personal fav because of his ties with Metro.

But Timmy, Brad or Kasey can do the job. Anyone of those three can do the job. But on thing is for sure. Brad & Kasey will be either the starter & backup while Timmy is going to be the 3rd man in for 2006. But when 2010 qualifying starts. Tim Howard will definetly take the reigns.

14. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    By my count he was responsible for 5 of 5. And responsible for my ulcer.

15. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think the poor kid is getting a bum rap because he's faced the most shots of any goalkeeper in MLS this year. He's performed quite adequately for a rookie goalkeeper as young as he is; however, I don't think he needs to be capped yet, he'll be getting plenty of experience with the U-23's for the next couple of years.

I'd like to see Nick Rimando in goal for the first round of qualification. He's been performing at a high level in MLS for four years now and he's still only 24. He may not be very tall, but GK isn't like the field positions, I don't any reason he wouldn't be able to make the transition to the international game like a short field player would. His job is to stop shots, and the shots don't get that much harder to stop (though there may be more of them) as the level goes up. There's no reason to be calling in Howard, Keller, or Friedel from merry old England when we have several very competent goalkeepers here in the states.

16. Metallifreak

Metallifreak New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Santa Ana, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has pissed me off too many times. and here is 3 reasons why.

1. he gave up two goals against brazil in the Gold Cup.

2. The US loses very important games when he is the GK

3. Kasey Keller kicked the ball to Carlos Hermosillo's head and gave Mexico the win in '98

it was a long time but I hate him

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erm,I think keeper is the position where size and athletic power is most important.And there is a world of difference between shot quality in top level international play and MLS (or indeed any league).

18. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    1-HE gave them up? Funny, I thought it was our defense. Our lack thereof.

2-Ridiculous. He was our best player for most games that meant anything for about 3-4 years. What important games are you speaking of?

3-Name one GK who hasnt made at least one costly error. I dare you.

19. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Wrong.

(a) He didn't kick the ball "to" his head. He didn't even see him.

(b) Game finished in a tie.

20. flamingantichimp

flamingantichimp New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    Winston-Salem
    well said.

21. Metallifreak

Metallifreak New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Santa Ana, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) I kind of made it sound like it was kicked it on purpose shabs you are right I have seen many games where the GK messes up.

2) yeah, I remember they tied now thanks for refreshing my memory

i am still pissed about the Brazil game he should have shutout those kids. Bruce shouldn't be calling him up. he already has had international experience and should test some of the MLS GK.

I guess I am like those Landon Donovan haters except I hate Kasey Keller.

22. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: WCQ in 2004

If we're talking about the preliminary round, FORGET about the big three (Friedel, Keller or Howard) being available as their EPL clubs are unlikely to release them, since the EPL season will be in full swing.

Don't think we'll need the big three until the semi-final round. We should be ok until then, provided our back line doesn't "fall apart."

My top 3 choices:

1) Kevin Hartman
    2) Johny Walker
    3) Zach Thornton

IMHO Nick Rimando, Jon Busch, Scott Garlick & D.J. Countess should get "serious" looks.

Yes, Countess was on the worst team in MLS but his GAA wasn't as bad as it could've been.

I would've included Joe Cannon, too, but don't think he's had any consistent, first-team action in quite some time.

23. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Mendoza Line?

24. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Maginot line=French military defense

25. milkduds

milkduds Member

May 20, 2003
    Saint Paul, MN
    MLS for early rounds

The MLS guys will be more than enough for the first rounds of WCQ. I hope Bruce starts Hartman or Walker in the net. They are the two best not playing in the EPL.

By the way, I'm watching Dallas right now against Metros - Countess just saved his second PK. Maybe he should be in the mix too.