Who do you wanna see??

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by FCDallas------, Oct 26, 2004.

1. FCDallas------

FCDallas------ New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Dallas
    If the rumors of expanded Senior International slots is true there could be a huge influx of foreign talent intot he league next year, ok 10 guys.

Who do you want to see come to MLS? (keep it realistic)

I say either of the DeBoer brothers would work, both are now playing in Qatar after bouncing around the last few years.

I'm drawing blanks help me out who should the league go after??

2. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Lothar Mattheus

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS could sign Adriano and people would still be bitching about it on these boards.

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some good young, cheap players from Central America and the Caribbean. The last thing I want to see is some 30something player from Europe. Just what we need is someone looking to have a combination vacation and earn some extra cash for retirement.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Some good young players from South America would be great. Leagues in countries like Uruguay and Paraguay don't pay squat so it wouldn't be hard to attract them. There's probably some awfully good players floating around Brazil and Argentina that don't get much notice due to the abundance of talent. I'm thinking that MLS has pretty much already grabbed the best of Central America and the Caribbean, but I could be wrong.

6. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    please no past their prime Euros

its one thing to pander to an ethnicity

but another to pander to europhiles by giving them some crap player from europe.........yet they eat it up time and time again

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think is was Mark Connely that recently did an article on recent players that could play in MLS. Also, every year people are getting older new players are moving up.

8. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Acutally more like 18, isn't it? (one for each existing team plus four for each new team)

9. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the youth factor. There aren't as many potential fans in this country who would get excited about a player's previous career as there are who will appreciate exciting play. With the older players, even they themselves have no clue how they will do physically.

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leave the DeBoers in the gutter. They want too much money, that is why they went over there.

I'd like to see a 24 (aprox.) year old Columbian, Equadorian or other South American who can play like Ruiz without the diving.

11. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are many players in europe and particularly in england that would like to come over.

The names im thinking of are Beckham (im serious), Shearer, and Sheringham.
    I agree on bringing in talent from the aemricas though. But lets also rely on our extraordinary youth program...none in the world compares

12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?????????????

The last thing we need is to drop big bucks (and it would have to be very big indeed) to get players like the ones you mention. It would be a foolish waste of funds.

The Europeans MLS brings in should be more like Ronnie O'Brien (i.e., young and talented) or veterans who actually want to play here, understand that MLS is a young, physical (i.e., not a retirement) league, and can bring more professionalism into MLS as regards training habits, work ethic, playing style, etc.

I just don't understand your youth program comment. MLS already signs most of the best young US talent. But your statement that "none on the word compares" to the US program is, er, debateable.

Me? I want to see better coaches, the end of Kwik Goals and, whenever possible, white "away" shirts.

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freidal, Keller, Howard, Bocanegra, McBride, Beasley, Lewis, Connor...