Who do you most want to get back?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Coach_Barry, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which of our unprotected, if not chosen, would you want to pull back first?

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pierce

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamler.

As much as I like JMM, Llamosa and Rusty, there's something to be said for reliability. I can more or less count on Kam being there day in and day out for six months. I can't say that about anyone else on that list.

4. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but for how much longer? Wasn't Kam thinking of retiring before last season? His age is the only reason I didn't pick him.

I went with Rusty, only because I don't see Adin coming back to what he was before the concussions.

5. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Adin Brown.

Can any or all of the pull-back list players regain peak form?

Let's say they all could. The guy I'd pick as the biggest impact player is Brown.

Although not necessarily the area where the Revs need the most improvement, our depth at GK would be suspect if we lose Adin.

6. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think having depth in the GK position was way more important when Adin was the starter instead of Reis. I know any player is 1 bad tackle away from being on the IR for months, but Adin always seemed a lot closer than most.

7. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    comedy "Steve Howey" option

8. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Kamler

Reliable and versatile. There is decent GK skill available for MUCH cheaper. If you were sure that Rusty wants to play here and would be healthy....different story.

9. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got at least half a season from Kamler, Franchino and Pierce.

Of the 3, I think Pierce was the most effective on the pitch.

10. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    People will probably disagree with this, but I don't think Reis is much more than a decent backup. A healthy Adin would be great to have, but how long could he go without being nailed in the face with a close-range shot? (if we did bring him back, keep Twellman away from him...) I think that they need to address the goalkeeper situation in the offseason whether Brown gets chosen or not.

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NONE of these guys are long-term solutions for anything, IMO. Kam's somewhat cost effective, he's the most versatile, and I believe he's the most reliable.

To tell you the truth, one of the biggest problems with the Revs is that the seven players they exposed constituted somewhere in the neighborhood of 45% of their salary cap room this year... and I don't particularly want any of them back.

12. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    The three biggest offenders are Adin, JMM, and Llamosa, who must be at least $500k between them. Aren't they all out of contract this year? I think Adin said that his contract was up and he was going overseas if he wasn't sold. I also thought that Llamosa signed a 2 year deal after his 2003 holdout, and that JMM had a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd year.

If this is the case, we should be able to improve the team quite a bit this offseason. No matter who we lose, we still have most of our core, we should have money to bring in a good foreign player (don't we still have an allocation from Chicago from last year?), possibly make a trade for or sign a player that a more cap-pressured team needs to unload, and the 5th pick in the draft. This might not be the right thread for this discussion, but still food for thought.

13. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Pierce, then Kamler

I think that is all that matters right, we can only lose two
    so we only need to take back one. Of the rest I'd like to see Franchino and Adin back if we could and JMM and Carlos only at much lower cap values.

14. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adin and I hope he comes back healthy. The Franchino , Pierce, JMM, Carlos & then Kam. All with good health.

Howey? Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.....

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I think we can lose 3.

16. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy did we get this one wrong.

The 2 guys with 0 votes are the 2 who get pulled back in.