Who Do The Fire Acquire Now That Beasley Is Gone?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by cwhein, Jul 20, 2004.

1. cwhein

cwhein New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    USA
    Do the Fire have their eyes on any particular player? Is there an American abroad that might return to the U.S. before the Euro leagues kick off next month? Do the Fire have any SI or TI slots left?

Obviously Mapp will move over to the left side, will Jaqua get more time on the right side?

2. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Would you guys be interested in a world class player like Eric Denton of Columbus Crew?

Come one Peter Wilt! Take him off our books!

3. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    akwari.

4. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the team's site:

"Chicago will welcome a pair of trialists -- Costa Rican M/F Andy Herron and Brazilian midfielder Thiago -- into its camp for four days of training with the club beginning this Thursday."

Although it seems these are are in consideration of Bocanegra's allocation.

5. ChangeT

ChangeT Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Chicago
    Isn't there a former USMNT right side defender up in Minnesota seeing if MLS will sign him? Couldn't Chicago use somebody like this? That's my hope.

6. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some article linked from BS frontpage seemed to indicate that the Haitian, Alex Boucicault, was coming in. I don't know if that's just an old rumour that's been discounted since...who knows...

We definitely need a good right winger.

Minnesota?

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I think he's referring to Tony Sanneh, who has gone home (to Minnesota) to rehab, and is presumably waiting for MLS to offer him a spot. Teams with suddenly-available cap room (Chicago after Beasley, DC if Convey leaves) would be likely candidates. If not, I can hardly imagine the expansion teams not drooling over signing him.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, the Fire could use a good defender...

9. cwhein

cwhein New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    USA
    Who's going to get Danny Szetela? <sp?>

10. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Metros...

11. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, would love to see us sign Sanneh. We could use the defensive help. If we signed Sanneh, then we could go with Brown, Curtin & Sanneh in the back and it allows us to make all kinds of adjustments movements in front of them.

---- Damani ---------------- Ante
    ----------- Mapp -- Williams
    Perez ---------- Armas ------------ Jaqua
    ----- Brown ---- Curtin ----- Sanneh
    ----------------- Ring

With 3 very solid center backs, we could go much more offensive up the center with Armas as a solo DMid and turn Mapp & Williams lose in the attacking midfield -- with little or no defensive responsibilities.

Strong defensive outside mids like Perez & Jaqua or Whitfield help cover the flanks. This would be much more like we were last year.

12. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought it might be Sanneh, but I didn't realize he'd come home. Cool.

KevBrunton, you've said exactly what I've been thinking for a while: have Armas alone as a defensive mid, and give Andy Williams someone to play with! I think Capano could help out as more of a two-way middie, given time. I mean, out of Capano, Buete, Pause and Kelly Gray (who used to be a decent midfield player), we should be able to get someone who can both defend and attack (gasp!). Or we could just "turn Mapp loose" up the middle, because we all know he can't friggin cross... :rolleyes:

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the probable acquisition of Bouicot, it's possible Perez would take a bench seat behind the (rumored) incredibly fast Haitan. That would, in fact, be a very dangerous line. But would it come in time for the Fire to salvage the playoffs and make a run?

My only other question is, how much rehab does Sanneh need (timewise)?

14. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Sanneh have injury problems, I mean on a regular basis? Acquiring him would take one allocation, which would leave us with one left to sign new players. They seems pretty interested in Thiago and Herron so I expect the other allocation to be used on them, and the Hatian winger will most likely be a discovery signing and not need an allocation. We could be getting a lot of new blood.

Solid US national team defender - Sanneh - check

Speedy winger to take over for Mapp on the right - Boucicot - Check

International striker/midfielder who is a proven scorer for club and country - Herron - check

A central attacking midfielder for those who have been begging for one - Thiago - check

Sounds good to me.

15. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where the fact that we are only 4 points out of first place comes in. :)

Everyone needs to remember that, though we have sucked major a** lately, we are still very much in this.

16. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Is Tony Sanneh at a point in his career that it would be wise to invest the money to get him? If he is coming off an injury, how injury prone is he? Would it be better to get someone younger with more potential or a proven National Teamer that may be closer to the waning side of his playing career than his prime? I admittedly am not a Sanneh expert.

17. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Everybody sure does seem sure of this don't they?

I dunno.....

18. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Well If they don't win him in the lottery I think there will be some kind of trade so that he will end up there.

19. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I think Tony Sanneh would be a great addition. He has some injury issues but he's a fantastic player. Thing is that I have heard that he wants to play in Columbus. I thought it was basically assumed that's where he would be going.

20. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hmph. Any player who'd honestly rather go to Columbus over Chicago can go sit on a railroad spur for all I care.

21. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Well, I think it has something to do with Manny Lagos. They were high school teammates or some junk like that.

22. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Not only is Columbus Crew Sanneh's prefered destination, but we have first dibs on any big-name allocation coming into MLS. The Dallas YS allocation and the Columbus YS allocation have the highest priority, and I think Dallas used theirs on Gibbs. It would take Greg Andrulis turning down Sanneh for you guys to even have a chance at him.

But the rumor is that Sanneh hasn't yet signed with MLS because they can't agree on the money.

Once again, isn't Eric Denton attractive to your club? You could have him for a Pepsi and a Snickers in return.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Greg isn't always known for his tactical decision making skills. ;)

24. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS might be good for him. The schedule won't be as grueling and he would play in warm weather most of the year. I think he would solve a lot of rpoblems as well as provide us with some proven leadership in back.