Who could coach?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm left wondering why they didn't try him earlier, then. It's not like the guys they did ask had that resume. And they'd gone NFL before, with Ray Perkins.

@RefIADad you are correct. In fact, I'd forgotten about their BCS title. I saw Oklahoma as overrated a bit, and a lot after Sproles and co. exposed them in the Big XII title game. But LSU is one of the programs that stepped up (see also, Auburn, Tennessee '98 and Florida) when Bama was in the dumpster and going thru their own bad hires.

Pellegrini? I doubt he'd come here from Betis, and he's 67. Probably wants to finish somewhere where there's not a bunch of financial limitations.

Lets face it... we're fans of a team that has/d ambition, in a league designed to squash ambition. Seems like the harder we try, the more difficult it becomes because of what it is we want to be (besides winners). We just might end up with a Schmetzer type who reaches the playoffs consistently but doesn't play attractive ball (and has only one more title than we do, despite all our fumbling). It's not like we play attractive ball any more anyway, soooo...

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just saw this.

Hankinson coached at Alabama A&M briefly in the 80s. He was not ready for the job, following in the footsteps of two-time D2 natty winner (and my Econ prof) Salah Yousif (RIP). He did not follow Coach Yousif immediately, but he was, like, two guys behind him.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I doubt Tim Hankinson is in the mix. He coached in the MLS with the Tampa Bay Munity before the team folded and then with the Colorado Rapids as the league was contracting. I am sure he is a great coach, but he hasn't coached at the top level for a long time. An uninteresting side note, I dated his cousin back in high school.

Eleven Bravo repped this.