Who could coach?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the US men's coaching job up for grabs it makes me wonder who would be the head coach for an Atlanta team if we got one.

my potential list(forgive me if some are taken):
    Bob Gansler
    Sasho Cirovski (he's done well with Maryland and he's the most notable college coach i can think of...doesn't necessarily mean it'll translate)
    Mo Johnston
    Carlos Perreira (after his funk in the World Cup he might want to try MLS again)
    Richie Williams (yikes)
    Steve Sampson (no thanks)
    Lothair Osiander (don't know much about)
    Octavio Zambrano
    Greg Andrulis
    Glenn Myernick
    Ray Hudson
    Ron Newman (don't know much about)
    Walter Zenga
    Frank Stapleton (don't know much about)
    Carlos Quieroz (if he would could steal him from Man U...likely)
    John Hackworth (if you could steal him from the youth teams)
    Bora Milutinovic
    Alfonso Mondelo (don't know much about)
    Tim Hankinson (don't know much about)
    Bobby Houghton (don't know much about)
    Dave Dirr
    Mike Jeffries (don't know much about)
    Brian Quinn (don't know much about)

Players that could possible make the jump
    Hristo Stoichkov
    Alan Shearer
    Gheorghe Hagi
    Gabriel Batistuta
    Paulo Maldini
    Peter Schmeichel
    Teddy Sheringham
    Roberto Baggio
    Cafu
    Romario
    Paul Gascoigne (he'd get along with Mathis real well...sarcasm)
    Teofilo Cubillas (resides in Florida.)
    Carlos Valderrama
    Zinedine Zidane
    George Weah
    Luis Figo
    Dennis Bergkamp

2. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    God, I really don't know...I will say that I hope an Atlanta team would play with a little flair. As long as the coach would emphasize a possession style of play ala DC Unied, I'd be happy....even if it took a few years for us to win.

3. Georgia Empire

Apr 27, 2006
    I want a coach that's fearless and attacking minded.

4. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :eek: Excuse me he is still in our first team squad!

Having said that this has to be his last playing season, however i cannot see him leaving the hammers, and think he would stay on as an attacking coach.

The Atlanta team does need some one good though. I think thats a major flaw with the Silverbacks, The manager is the weak link.

5. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Even players on the team agree with you there

6. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Really, is this public knowledge or somthing that a player has expressed to you? I got shot down some on the 'backs USL forum for bringing this up, but maybe a change is on the cards?

7. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Those guys on the USL forum can't stand to hear ANY constructive critisism about the team. Its impossible to have a meaningful debate with any of them.

Yes, I know players and former players that just aren't impressed with the head coach. He came from where? Piedmont College?:rolleyes:

8. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree, you would think that with all the money Boris is putting into the club, he could pony up and get a half decent coach.

We will have to see, we have had far to many 2nd half meltdowns this season, and to me thats all coaching

I am so glad i never got to see the 7-1 drubbing we got the other week at Miami.

9. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I see you found the thread :)

10. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Trust me....I've had my run-ins with them as well.:eek:

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about it and i would like to see Stoichkov invloved somehow. What is he up to lately? he reminds me kind of Peter Nowak with his aggressive, bull dog type style of play and he's also familiar with the league.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. It’s a damn shame. But it needed to be done. Only thing is that Bocanegra probably needs to be relieved too. 2 coaches that turned out to be duds. Not good.

superdave repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe - maybe - a GM-type gets one mulligan when it comes to a head coaching hire.

Two really bad hires is a bridge too far. I just do not see how at least Bocanegra, if not both Bocanegra and Eales, keep their jobs over this. I realize we'll never publicly know the whole story, but I have to think this was Josef Martinez telling the front office, "Him or me - take your pick" and the front office blinked.

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m glad the FO made the right choice between those two. Normally, you’d side with the coach. But in such a case between a player we certainly know will be a club legend 100 years from now (plus a guy who has been nothing but a superb character for 5 years now) and a coach who hasn’t done squat except piss people off and lose... that choice was simple.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Failure to get this next hire right and it could be a tough haul getting this team back to relevance. At this point they'll have to overspend in order for the club to retain it's value, or risk the fan support dropping to NER levels.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, they just need to let the team implode this year. Get rid of ALL the dead weight. Even if we have to buy out some player contracts and start all over.

I’d sell Bello to get some cash.

I’d keep Lennon, Josef, Miles, and Guzan. Then, I would get rid of everyone else who wouldn’t take a pay cut.

Blank needs to rectify this shit sandwich and say, this isn’t good enough. No coach is going to be be able to do anything with Barco, Franco, Sosa, Moreno, Damm, Torres, Mulraney, Walkes, Emo, etc. these players are just bad players. Sir Alex couldn’t carve a diamond out of those lumps of shit either.

And we need to pour money into our academy. We need to make Dallas academy look like MLS 1.0. Then we need to spend ALL of our cash on just a really good XI and let our youth boost our depth. None of this spending more money on crappy players like Rossetto. Spend on the right players.

VFish repped this.
  18. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap this is an old thread. But seriously, who's out there to hire as the coach? The timing of this is bad. We're mid-summer, so all the end-of-season hiring/firing in Europe has pretty much run its course. All the MLS coaches worth hiring are still mid-season.

I think we either need to get a known commodity MLS coach who can return us to playoff contention, or we need to go full-bore Alabama-hiring-Nick-Saban and hire a world-renowned coach. There's no salary cap on managers.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Off topic, but Dallas Academy product Shaq Moore just scored for the USNT 20 seconds into today's match with the Canucks.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas' academy has produced a massive list of pros, and now has players on Juventus, AS Roma, PSV Eindhoven, Boavista, and Hoffenheim. Not to mention sprinkled throughout MLS. This has not resulted in a single MLS Cup, however.

I agree that we need to beef up our youth ranks; they provide the bulk of the roster and the role-players on the team. And FCD and Philly have shown that those academy guys can provide sustained stability for the club. But the right DPs, TAM/GAM players, and young DPs are still needed to push the roster into the upper echelon.

Eleven Bravo and VFish repped this.
  21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Eales: "We have to get the next hire right

Thanks Captain Obvious!
    [​IMG]

SabreKhan and GunnerJacket repped this.
  22. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 SabreKhan, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/atlanta-united-s-and-toronto-fc-s-next-coach-here-are-11-candidates

Speculation by the MLS website crew. I'm not big on the assistant coach line of thinking, not after two coaching failures. We need a known quantity, not another experiment. Somebody with a long, multi-team track record. Even if they aren't Tata-level quality, they need to be in the same zip code with experience.

With Heinze, he had a good record but not a long one.

deBoer had a short record with only one good team.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FWIW, we may have a better chance at doing this. I say so because Saban wasn't on Bama's radar until all those other coaches turned them down. At the time, he hadn't done anything special anywhere, ever. Likewise, we may be able to snag someone with a fair/middlin' record, but we're probably not going to get anyone of note again.

24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning a national championship at LSU isn't "doing anything special"? Saban also took Michigan State from a mediocre program best who was on probation to a 10-2 team in five years.

I personally think looking at someone like Pineda at Seattle could be a really good thing for Atlanta. He's a guy who's been a big part of the story with the Sounders, but for some reason hasn't received his shot yet. He'd come in with something to prove.

Auriaprottu, SabreKhan and VFish repped this.
  25. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saban's floor was very high. He'd had 16 years as an assistant coach, then one very good year as a head coach, and then was an assistant at the next level up for a few years. By the time Bama hired him, he had 11 years just as a head coach, and over 30 years total coaching time. Of those 11 years at three different college programs, he'd won the division 4 times, the conference 3 times, and a national championship.

He wasn't a sure bet, obviously. His Dolphins team was bad. Most of his Michigan State years were decent, but not great. But he had a very good resume.

Who's out there that has coached for 30 years, has a few major trophies, and is coming off a disappointing UEFA Champions' League run? That's the Nick Saban hire.