Who can Ireland legitimately expect to consistently beat?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Samarkand, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    That may the the case if your knowledge and experience of Ireland goes back little further than the qualifiers for WC '02 or Euro 2000.

(And let me repeat once again, I started this thread NOT to talk about the 'any given day' scenario. On 'any given day,' Ireland can beat Italy, draw with Lichtenstein or lose to Macedonia. I really don't care about those one-off results as they tell very little about the capabilities of the team. I started this thread to talk about whom the team can consistently expect to beat.)

2. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Really? I may not have been around during those times that you speak of, but I have read about them and tried to understand what was going on. Sorry I don't have the esteemed knowledge that you have about Ireland, but I am only 16. So please tell me, because I obviously don't have any knowledge past past Euro 2000 and WC 2002 when was Ireland not an "any given day" team?

3. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So who can we expect to consistently beat Ireland?

4. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    The answer to that is Ireland, if they keep trying to sit on a one goal lead like Kerr has been doing.

5. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
  6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Unabashed forum advertisement :) pushing tourism too.

7. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Crossing was abysmal and he missed an open goal from 3 yards. Relatively decent maybe, in reality, pish.

8. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    No, that was the point I was making.

I would say that Ireland are a better team but I would certainly not expect to be beaten "everytime" we played them. In fact, if we were to play now, especially at Hampden, I'd be fairly confident of not losing.

9. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I'm quite confident we'd beat Scotland 9 times out of 10 fairly comfortabley.

10. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I wouldn't be. Especially since you beat Isreal 0 times out of 2 failry comfortably.

11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I don't know about that ; Scotland is bouncing right back.

12. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    And Israel are a better team than Scotland.

I hope they are bouncing back, but they haven't yet.

13. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    That is true, but Scotland couldn't beat Moldova so all bets are off.

14. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Not to mention Belarus.

15. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Although Belarus have got a £10 million player who has just signed for Arsenal. Not such an easy place to go to these days.

Moldova was just classic B*rti, hopefully those days are behind us now. The regular embarrasing results were too much!

I reckon right now Ireland would beat Scotland about 5 out of 10 times, drawing 3 or 4 times as well though in that. Ireland have a very strong squad at the moment...it won't last forever though, never does with countries our size.

16. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    8 or 9 out of 10 times, and you guys will be lucky to score a goal in half of those.

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'd guess we would beat the Faroe Islands...

18. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    Amazing how down everyone is...... I think ireland is one of the most dangerous teams in the world. I am sure most teams would rather face germany,portu,spain, rather than this irish team. You kicked out Holland from the '02 WC qualifiers and you went far in the WC without Roy Keane.
    You tied in paris,,,,, the french play a 4-5-1 or 5-4-1 ,,, maybe it would keep them 0-0 in paris but not in dublin,,,, in a national stadium. The Swiss tied you 1-1,,,, they lucked out,,,,, I am sure after that and the past euro game,,
    ireland will come out with a thirst for goals.
    I don't know how that china friendly went,,,,but the chinese are known to find ways of screwing everyone over. Israel on the other hand,, prepared for Ireland and got some luck thrown there way too..... they did the same against france and the swiss.
    If ireland played brasil...........I'd put my money on ireland..... in a heart beat.
    :D

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    you either have money to burn or your heart beats to a different rhythm. :)

20. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    lol..... I hope brasil face ireland in the WC....... so you can see ireland win.
    I am not a brasil fan and I know if anyone can kick their butts it's ireland and Roy Keane.

21. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Okay Ami, you can give all the compliments you like, but we're not gifting Israel and more points :D

22. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    If they are, it's very marginal. And you couldn't beat them once. On that evidence alone, I doubt you could beat Scotland 9 from 10.

We are 'bouncing ' back, we haven't 'bounced' back yet. After Berti, a lump of shite as manager would have us going in the right direction.

23. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Oh dear, care to look up the last game between Scotland and Moldova, I think you'll find we won. Are all bets back on?

24. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    We didn't beat Belarus in Minsk, I suspect we'd be in good company on that one.

Belarus are better than Israel.

25. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    You're obvoiulsy just a football illiterate Plastic Paddy Yank, I'm going to stop bothering about what you say.