Who benefits the USMNT more? Jones or Castillo?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DCUdiplomat96, Jul 9, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since FIFA changed some bylaws for the "benefit" of players of dual-nationality, so they can change countries to play for in international soccer. Recently Jermaine Jones and Castillo expressed interest in playing for the US Soccer. Jones comming from Germany who is a standout for Schalke and birthfather is black american who at one time stationed in germany (and native german mother). Castillo who was born in the US from Mexican parents and grew up in the US. Both players have played some time in the German and Mexican National Team during thier Under 20 somethings and some exhibitions. But both have not gathered a strong for themselves on the sqauds so now they want to jump ship. Part of me is not really feeling this new rule. But also Jones would benefit the Nats more than Castillo. Just My Opinion.

2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Re: Jones YES! Castillo NO!

I think Jone is more helpful for two reasons. First, he is just hands down a better player. And second, Castillo's main strength is going forward from the back and we have shown a disturbing trend of leaking goals against top teams as it is, so in my mind the biggest priority for defensive player sofr the US should be focusing on actually playing defense and if we get something going forward, it is a bonus. Gotta take care of first things first. Those attacking runs out of the back could be very helpful against poorer teams, but against the big boys, his job is going to be defend first, and it doesn't sound like that is Castillo's forte.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Couldn't disagree more on Castillo.

A) Have you guys forgotten about or LB situation? Yes, it's better if Cherundolo's better and Spector can play there or if Bocanegra can slide out there because of improved CB depth. But it's still our biggest question mark.

B) He can also play left mid. Look, in our biggest game in years when we needed a sub we played Jonathan Bornstein at left mid. Earlier in the same tournament Beasley played there and looked terrible. Robbie Rogers has looked good in the Gold Cup but he is still pretty inexperienced.

Castillo is a natural flank player and he's left footed and able to play either as a back or mid. He's not a lock to start for the US, whereas Jones likely is when healthy, but he's certainly good enough to contend for a spot.

He had a rough stretch at Club America but that shouldn't eliminate him from consideration from our national team, as witnessed by Beasely, Feilhaber, Altidore, Johnson, Pearce and Adu, who all got (or are getting) multiple call-ups despite being in either bad form with their clubs or not playing at all.

Let's just wait and see. Maybe he isn't better than what we have. Maybe his attitude will suck. But maybe he makes us better. He certainly has a LOT to prove and live up to so he shouldn't lack motivation so let's just see what he does with the US and take it from there.

4. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jones is a nobrainer decision; he'd be arguably the best field player (or at least the one with the best pedigree) for the US MNT.

Castillo is out-of-form and his value to the team (if any) is still to be determined. Bradley does want his left/right backs to be able to join in the attack; hence the failed experiments with Beasley. Spector was pretty decent supporting the attack in the Confed Cup.

5. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With Dolo back in the fold, Spector can play at LB even if it is not his best position. Is Castillo better than Pearce, our present LB measuring stick (certainly not Bornstein)? If not, then he may not find himself playing for coach Bob.

Jones is needed NOW for depth at DMid. The Azteca qualifier will have Clark and Mastro on the roster, because Edu and Jones are not available. Project the scenario into the future (2010) and in case of injuries, Jones becomes a savior at Dmid. Can we say that about Castillo at LB?

6. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am not sure how crazy I am about the Spector at LB. Part of what I found impressive were his dangerous crosses from the right, two of which led to goals in the CC. I know Stevie C has been a fine player going forward, but I haven't seen him deliver crosses like that in quite some time.

7. Killsuperman

Killsuperman New Member

Oct 30, 2008

Everyone is saying how great of a player Jones is. I don't know how everyone has seen him play enough to make that judgement. How often is the german league televised here in the U.S? I don't get it.

I would give both players an equal opportunity to earn a spot. If either one is good enough, they can be part of the team. If they are not good enough, they should not be part of the team, period.

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY

Wow what a thoughtful measured accurate response. That's not how BS works. We have to speculate, emote, guess about what everything means. We can't let them be evaluated on what coaches normally look at player for. Please delete and repost. :)

9. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis

Castillo's only 22. He's still got time to develop into a qulity LB for us (something we need), if not for this cycle, then for the next.

And the bottom line is, no matter what position, the more depth we can get, the better.

10. Lurko

Lurko Member

Aug 31, 1999
    DC area

Have any of you actually seen Jones play? Or is this just the "he's foreign so he must be better than our guys" thing?:rolleyes:

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I have seen both Jones and Castillo play several times.

I mean, it ain't like it's tough to watch German and Mexican league games in this country.

Jones is a better version of Rico Clark, and I say that as a big fan of Rico's. Reads the game well, strong in the tackle, very vocal (it seemed) and is pretty tidy with the ball after he wins it. Isn't gonna make the fancy pass but he's not gonna do a lot of stupid crap, either.

He's more like Gatuso than Pirlo.

Castillo might be the most technically gifted American player in the pool when he joins, at least among the flank players. Great feet, good balance and acceleration and good pace. Not Beasley in his prime pace, but fast. He passes well and has a decent shot.

Needs to work on his tackling and defensive positioning but, as others have noted, he's young so there's still time.

Both Jones and Castillo also have big game experience so I don't expect either to shit the bed on hostile territory or against a superior team.

To be honest, the biggest question with both players is likely off the field, where each has developed a bit of a rep as something of a diva or a headcase and neither seems shy with the media when it comes to speaking their mind. (That may enhance their perception.)

But, Bob Bradley's greatest strength, IMO, as a coach is building cohesion and getting players to come together and have good chemistry. So, while I believe each will be a challenge for him, I think he can work them in to the collective. And if he can't, he'll send both packing, high-end talent or no.

12. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i dont want the perception to be like that US Soccer needs foreign players to be good, But at the same time you want players to play for "thier" country. naturally Castillo would be the more controversial of the two. You could also look at the factor do you think aquiring these guys takes away from the hard work that the USSF has done trying to develop talent domestically???

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999

if usa soccer fans have to depend on u$$f to develop talent, we are screwed royally...

find it, well, that might be easier for them

14. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why would castillio be the more controversial? he is usa born and raised, developed in New Mexico/SW area youth teams.

15. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lets see cause he is mexican... he plays in mexico... and dont say torres either, it makes you think that USSF dont trust its own talent... or maybe USSF is trying to make the team all foreigners?

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Castillo is also a nutball.

If you don't take the time to follow any of the soccer talk on the shows or media coverage about the MFL and of course el Tri, Castillo is often spoken of as a talented player by the Latino press, yet a footballer that appears to just not be playing with a full deck. IIRC he forgot his passport when called up by the Mexican Federation and could not be counted on by their Fed to travel with the squad. It is reported that his is just wierd like that.

Make of that what you will. I don't know cuz if you have ever met folks from New Mexico they are hard working folks that are just a little nutter, spacey perhaps than you and I.
    The whole Land of Enchantment thing in their way of being.

17. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have mix feelings regarding the Castillo switch, but at this point, we need better backup option than Heath Pearse. And I think Castillo can be better.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

If Jones and Castillo are good enough (check), eligible to play for us (check), and demonstrate that they're willing to fight for our team (to be determined)........then we should all embrace them with open arms.

If Castillo decides to play for the US, then he WILL be called up. There's no question about it. It's not even worth arguing. Then he and Jones just need to take advantage of what opportunities they get, and prove that they're deserving of a spot on the WC roster (and future squads). Jones, in my opinion, will be one of the most talented players in the squad. Castillo doesn't look to be of the same quality, but he's also got much less competition at his position. And he can play as either a left-sided defender or midfielder.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Guys, until we get more than one link I'm going to delete the off-field stuff about Castillo. If it turns out to be true...well, we'll deal with that then.

20. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004

Jones for me. I like Boca at left back. But to be honest both player scare me with their attitudes and off the field issues.

21. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles

So if an American born player grows up and develops his game outside the US, he shouldnt play for the team? Based on the fact that he didnt get his game here in this country?

If this is what youre saying, thats quite an xenophobic and ridiculous statement.

BTW, Castillo was born and raised in Arizona, and developed his game here. You seem unaware of that.

22. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

castillo originally wanted to play and played for Mexico so why do you think he should all of a sudden play for the US.????? i would categorized this closer to thr Rossi situation which in this case Rossi all along wanted to play for Italy. That i can completely understand. Castillo's would probably had to looked at more critically because if he really wanted to play for the US why in the heck he suited up for mexico in the first place... oh yeah Jones in the same boat too.. this revised FIFA law can bring some bad issues, thats what im saying.

23. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

makes you question if Castillo is Really Good enough he must not been good enough to play for Mexico

24. gorrillaunit18

gorrillaunit18 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jones because HE HAS COOL YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!!! :cool: (I'm kidding)

25. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005

maybe dolo can play LB because Spector's looked the better of the two at RB to me IMO.

If Jones starts to challenge Mikey you can expect him to fall off the radar screen. BB doesn't like anyone to challenge any of his anointed starters.