Who Belongs on the USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Nov 20, 2017.

?

Who Belongs on the USMNT?

1. Only those who played/grew up in the US represent our domestic soccer culture (Wambach/LD/Arena)

2. Anyone who is a citizen, regardless of where they grew up/learned the game

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'm interested in seeing how divided the USMNT BS community is on whom should play for the Red/White/Blue.

I fall strongly in the an American is an American and I don't care where you grew up but I'm interested to see the argument on the other side and how strongly it's held.

IndividualEleven and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  2. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voted for option two, but I would add “... that WANTS to play for the United States.”

bigredfutbol, Gacm32, Elninho and 6 others repped this.
  3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks, Anderson11. I think that statement hold true for both categories, no?

4. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. I guess I just meant that the United States should be their first choice.

5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really feel this way, but the argument that I can deduce is that for Americans born abroad, they potentially have multiple citizenships, so it's easier for them to merely pick a country that will get them to a World Cup without really feeling that they identify with the country they've chosen. In other words, they're considered mercenaries with no real loyalty to that country. That's where Donovan or Wambach's feelings most likely come from with respect to the MNT.

This does not mean that the above doesn't apply to Americans born within the USA or its territories and military bases, of course. It's just that Americans born overseas have a bit of a higher cultural burden to satisfy with some parts of the American fan base than ones born in the USA proper.

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    If you call it soccer you're in automatically. If you call it football or bootsphere you need to pass a written test.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who not whom. Subjective case.

russ, Lookingforleftbacks and DHC1 repped this.
  8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If you can't be arsed then you stay home. That is a coach thing, allowing players to get complacent.

I never watched JJ walk to take a corner when we were losing, even if he did try to "sell" his dive a bit too regularly.

I have seen Jozy walk for full games and Bradley is immortalized with the image of him walking to take a corner with our world cup hopes hanging in the balance.

Judge individual eligible players on how they play for us period, IDGAF if they were born here and feel entitled to their spot as a birthright or if they were born elsewhere and play poorly, I want them out.

acima and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I am confused, in the tags u have pulisic in the second group....are u saying he doesn't qualify as an American?

You also need to define what growing up in us soccer culture means especially with it changing so much in the last twenty years.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup, this.

You gotta want to play for the NT, gotta give 100% for the NT. As long as you are eligible and do that, anyone should be allowed to play.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the issue... judging if someone else is giving 100% is extremely subjective.

Mahtzo1, juveeer and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We don't need to judge, take their word. If the commitment isn't 100% there, it'll probably show up in their play.

DHC1 repped this.
  13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Being a fan, coaching a team, and evaluating talent are all subjective. If in my opinion they don't put in a good shift, they can F*** off back to their clubs; be it Toronto, New York, Schalke, Juventus, or Barca or wherever the hell ever they came from. If it happens with any frequency then ....next!!

14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what about someone like Nagbe who was born in Liberia but has only ever identified with the US?

What if it’s someone who is born in the US and has only ever lived and identified with another country?

15. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this goes back to the problem we have of assuming that any player who has played well at any club and has played well for the US in the past is automatically a must have for every camp, even if his recent performances have been shit. Imo we need to not call in guys who aren’t performing and not force them into the lineup hoping they will magically return to their old form.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    CP wrote an article where he specifically calls out nativism.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. However, being a fan you making a judgment off of very little info. There's stuff we will never see that a coach does that makes a world of difference. You can't judge if a player is there based off a couple questions from a journalist or 90 minutes. There's also stuff we won't know about the other players not called in. As a fan we tend to make snap judgments off of games. It's ok cause that's what we have to work with but you got to understand we making an opinion off of 1/3 of the info which in regular life would be a bad decision.

2in10 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm solidly in the later category. If you're a citizen, you want to play for the US and you're good enough, please come aboard. I think in many ways, it's a strong positive to put a bit of perspective on the players we produce through US soccer. If we can't produce guys through US soccer channels that are as good as players who learn the game elsewhere, the problem is not with the players outside the system, it's with the system.

I understand the perspective that if all our players grow up outside the system, then the national team is disconnected from US soccer and doesn't really reflect the progress or lack thereof within the domestic game. We can get a false sense that all is OK domestically when the national team is just being propped up with players from abroad. But that just sounds to me like US soccer needs to do better if they want "their" players to lead the national team. When the domestic game produces better players, they get to play. But, I see no reason to artificially prop up these players at the expense of US citizens who are better until that happens.

russ, Marko72, juveeer and 2 others repped this.
  19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Exactly why I would avoid any judgements about a guy's American-ness. I am concerned primarily with results. If he sux during games then I don't really care how he fits in team chemistry, or how well he practices, or that he is flag waving patriot of the highest order with an eagle clutching a flag tattoo.

I don't care if he is str8t or gay or spends the whole day wanking, as long as he shows up at game time and does a job, leaving it all on the field, I am good.

I have already seen how it works when we impose some artificial construct of american-ess in the case of Bruce Arena.

The whole argument is a strawman deflecting the degree of suckitude in our domestic league. The domestic league just used a xenophobic puppet to end our WC2018 hopes and clearly that didn't work out so well.

Am I the only one who finds irony in the fact that we "Americans" are having a conversation about mercenaries when we have the largest military for hire in the history of man.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree man

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'd be interested to hear what the strongest MLS backers have to say: cleansheetsbsc, MP9, Sunyuntuy, superdave, deadtigers, Dirt McGint, Honore de Ballsac, Geneva

22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Doesn't answer my question.

I get it though you are trying to start a strange argument.

Still am curious though what us the american soccer culture.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Let me be more clear why CP is in the second group: he explicitly stated that he rejects the opinion that only those who played/grew up in the US represent our domestic soccer culture so his opinion belongs in group two.

Just because one was born in the US and learned to play here doesn't mean that you have believe option #1.

Hopefully, that's clear enough for you.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  24. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so if you are so clear with one side as are 99% of the country....why ask the question? are you trying to push racism/xenophobia to the front to like make it look ok somehow?

25. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    When you see Altidore or Dempsey walking around, you question their Americanness too?

Just stop, the best / hard working players will be on the team, stop these dumb nationalistic crap.

If they are good enough and they want to play for our country, everybody is welcome.

monere, russ and 2in10 repped this.