Who are your top 5 prospects to (newly) become YA's after 2006 Cup?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 19, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    My top 5 (in no particular order):

1- Adu
    2- Gaven
    3- Dempsey
    4- Johnson
    5- Szetela

Honorable mention: Cannon and Buddle

However, I don't think they will all go to England because of the cap rule. I think Dempsey and Johnson will go to Holland for example.

2. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    chad marshall deserves consideration if he continues to impress.

3. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Johnson and Dempsey will leave in 05

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    1) Adu
    2) Szetela
    3) Marshall
    4) Eskandarian
    5) ???

I think Gaven, Dempsey, and Johnson will be gone this winter or next summer. I believe Esky will keep scoring goals in bunches and will get a look abroad.

5. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Unless they change the rules or he marries someone w/ EU passport, I don't think Adu's old enough to go abroad then.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I completely agree.

1) Marshall
    2) Johnson
    3) Gaven
    4) Dempsey
    5) Buddle

Honorable mention to Esky.

Marshall may be the best defensive prospect MLS has ever produced (Bocanegra's good, but he wasn't right away like Marshall). I predict one more year for him and off he goes. I'm not sure where, though.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    he'll be turn 16 before next april, 17 before the april after 17, WC over the summer, he'l be 18 before april 2007

8. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Huh? One of us must be drunk because that sentence doesn't make much sense to me.....

So Adu will be 16 in April, 2005, 17 in April, 2006. WC is in June, 2006. That means he will have to wait for another year after WC. Correct?

9. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    IF you mean right after the World Cup, like that summer or the January transfer window in 07, I would guess

1. Marshall
    2. Gibbs
    3. Szetela
    4. Eskandarian
    5. Clark
    BONUS: Another goalkeeper

Adu won't be old enough and I expect Gaven, Johnson and Dempsey to already be in Europe.

11. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarification: Are you asking who will become YA's in leagues such as the Premiership and Eredivisie or any other league like Norway (nothing against Norway. I could have also said Qatar. Nothing against Qatar.)

I mean, even Steve Shak was a YA.

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'll let any define as they wish, but mostly top league (including Holland, etc.)

13. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    I'm surprised to disagree with you Sandon.

Gibbs just got back from Europe and hasn't showed all that well... and Szetela just signed with MLS. I suppose that after two more MLS campaigns they both could head to Europe, but I can't say I'd expect it - especially since Szetela hasn't been capped yet and Gibbs in on the fringe of '06 inclusion.

Same goes for the others... While it's impossible to say if Marshall, Esko, and Clark will be in the '06 squad, it seems doubtful that they all will, and if not, I don't expect they'll be headed anywhere off the continent...

14. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Didn't Marshall get offer from Germany before he signed with MLS? If they're still interested and are tracking his development, I would not be surprised that he leaves in a year or two.

15. DP_elyanqui

DP_elyanqui New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    vagabond
    Well, I guess one of the next milestones for the US is to have yanks abroad (on good teams who contribute to their "goodness") who don't make the world cup squad. Could Eski and Clark be a couple of those guys?

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Germany, a popular destination for many a Yank, will become trickier to get into due to the new B-liga rules that mandates lowering the number of the non-UEFA players.

This makes Belgium and Holland as two very likely possibilities for the MLS'ers.

The outsider here is France and any of the better-off former Eastern Bloc countries. It's rather fascinating to see a throng of the "striking" NHL stars setting themselves in far-flung Russian cities within the last few months. Russian and Ukranian oligarghs do have a lot of money to throw around and have already picked up a few big name South American prospects to go along with the stars from the former communist allies. It may be interesting to see if this migration eastward will reach any Americans.

China appears to be less of a find due to recent developments there.