Who are your FAVORITE Portuguese COACHES?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by ferreirajl, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    "Portugal has great coaches".

Is this just a nice cliché that doesn't necessarily translate the reality of Portuguese football? (Thus explaining why two of the three top portuguese teams have chosen foreign coaches, plus the fact that the NT itself is also led by a brazilian)

...Or are there REALLY great coaches in Portugal? (who would probably be as good as anyone else if only they were given the same conditions?)

If you think we got good coaches then... who are they in your opinion? And what exactly do you think makes them so good? What have they shown that convinced you?

Note: As you can imagine I had to leave a lot of names out of the poll, and this is all really subjective, so... as always, you got the "Other" option.

2. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    My votes:

Mourinho obvious reasons.

Jesualdo Ferreira, IMO a very valid choice for future NT coach. He's a disciplinarian and IMO a good tactician. His line-ups seemed very well balanced and consistent last season. His speaches were cautious when they had to be cautious, and confident when they needed to be confident. To me he came across as someone who knew how to deal with the media.

Carlos Carvalhal It is true that he had (comparatively to other small teams) a lot more quality to work with at the beggining of the season. But who here hasn't seen quality Belenenses teams struggle before?
    And that wasn't really the case this season.
    Almost all the games I saw from Belenenses were high quality games with Belenenses looking like a really dangerous team. Players like Zé Pedro, Neca, Lourenço, Pélé, Antchouet help... but still... merit to Carvalhal.

Honorable mention: Luis Castro from Penafiel. To me, the most fair, rational coach I have seen in the Superliga last year. His analysis of the games were always objective, straight to the point, and most importantly... he admited his own (and the team's) mistakes and I have NEVER seen him blame/comment on a ref).
    I can't really comment on his tactics (and that's why I didn't vote for him), but his conduct and speach should be an EXAMPLE to the rest. And he's still relatively young so he'll be someone to pay attention to next season.

3. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I voted Mourinho, Pontes, and other.

Other would be Humberto Coelho whom I can't for the life of me believe is not on the poll.

4. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    There's a simple and logical reason for that.

He cut his moustache.

Check this:

before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See? How badly trimmed it is?
    That's the sign of a man who is a rebel! A man who doesn't care about superficial things like moustache neatness. He's on a mission to lead men to great acomplishments, and that moustache is saying "I'm the boss and you're going to do what I tell you to do... or ELSE".

It's a scary moustache.

after
    [​IMG]

But look at him now.
    Without the moustache he just looks like a loser.
    His whole body language changed! He's got that defeated slouch. Arms crossed like... "there's nothing more I can do".

Let him grow a bigger moustache and I'll put him in a poll.

Now... Artur Jorge!! THAT I don't know HOW I forgot!!

5. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    OMG!

Artur Jorge cut his moustache too! :eek:

[​IMG]

Good thing I didn't put him on the poll either, isn't it?

6. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Clean shaven is the way to go...

With their mustaches...there was too much of a resemblance to "Super Mario":D

7. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I voted for Jose Mourinho :eek: Carlos Queiroz and Jesualdo Ferreira :cool:

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I only voted for Manuel Jose, he just don't take any s.h.i.t from anybody

9. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    I Choose Mourinho, not only by the last season in Chelsea, but also because all his past: a looser as a player, he decided to be a coach!

He learned with Bobby robson, Fernando santos and Van Gall, and he started in BENFICA (just by this, he is the best coach in the world! :D ). In Benfica, he wanted to change all the bad things, but he couldn't.
    In Leiri, he do the best position ever of Benfica (5th) and Benfica was, at the same time... 6th!

In Porto, he wanted to change all the bad things (Octavio Machado...), and Pinto da Costa let him... and BANG! Porto won all! (except the Taça de Portugal... against Benfica, last year)... And in Chelsea, the same thing. And He is builting a team to the future!

I Also choose Carlos queirós, because the things he did in Youth national teams and in Manchester United... He is loosing to Mourinho because he couldn't change the bad things in Real Madrid...

To finish, Luis Castro. He is started in Estarreja, puting this team in 2ª B, em they where a mid-table team from 3ª Divisão, Série C. He follwed his carreer in sanjoanense, and was about to push that team to 2ª Liga, but he couldn't do better... In Penafiel, you all know.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    last season we could use Luis Castro with Estarreja we are again down to III division :(

11. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Nelo Vingada, Any coach who can came into a team that has no life sits in last place on the way to relegation and in the remaining 16 games only losses three. is doing one hell of a job.

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    the first portuguese coach to win a international championship

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
  14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  15. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I obviously voted for Mourinho... but also for Carlos Brito and Fernando Santos.

16. skeeta

skeeta Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Central London
    Carlos Queiroz

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    excellent pick, but you need some more support from the MU fans, to be out Mourinho :)

18. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    What if this votes were to the worst coach? Maybe Artur Jorge had a good chances to win, because of his carreer in the last 10 years...

I Would vote for:

1º Octávio Machado
    2º Octávio Machado
    3º Octávio Machado :)

What about you?

19. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Mourinho is the most obvious choice, mostly for what he had done with Porto. No-one expected Porto to win a UEFA Cup, never mind the European Cup/Champions League. Everyone expected him to win at least the Premiership this past season.

Peseiro, well, say what you will, but in his first season, he took a team within 45 minutes of a UEFA Cup win and was within reach of a SL title. Now that the team knows what his system is like, look for Sporting to have a much better start to this season than last season. That will be the key to winning the championship.

Carvalhal will be the next Portuguese coach making the switch from a lesser team to a grande. He did wonders with Leixoes, and I expect that Beleneses will be more competitive and challenge for a UEFA Cup spot this season. I see red in this guy's future soon - not saying that Koeman is doomed, but I just have a notion that he will be leading Benfica in the next few seasons.

20. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So did I! Although Coelho would be on my list if he was more "visible" and doing something.

21. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was going to pick Jesualdo but I decided not to. Why? The man's unambitious.

He had a GREAT season with Braga, hats and a half off to the guy. BUT, and this is a very big BUT, when it came down to the title race he never wanted to put his team in it. He never had the balls to say, "We're going to do our best and fight for the title." What did you hear from this guy?

"The big three dispute the title."
    "That's none of my concern."
    "We won't win the title."

He never had the balls to put his team to the challange of the title; and for that I can't see this guy as anything more than a decent manager.