Who are the favorites to win the WC 2022?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by MIGkiller, Mar 31, 2021.

?

Who will win in 2022?

1. Germany

19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. France

33 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Brazil

54 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. Argentina

36 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. Portugal

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Spain

10 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. England

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Netherlands

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  9. Italy

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. Belgium

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  11. Other

24 vote(s)
    14.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    To be fair the hype was not comming from Dutch fans, it was mostly Kam I was responding to when he claimed they would win the world cup.

There was also hype after they destroyed Belgium, but in hindsight Belgium is on the decline.

Every Four Years repped this.
  2. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    There were a few qualifier games without Messi and I think all of them were won without the team looking too different than usual but yes, it'll take some time.
    On one hand the team will be able to play faster players with higher workrate but on the other hand there won't be someone capable of making those magic passes or open cagey games with a wonder goal most of the time.

ganapordiego, Cosmin10 and almango repped this.
  3. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    You can see in this video why Argentinian players acted the way they acted.
    If you don’t understand Spanish, go to the 2:57 minute mark and see what the Dutch players did before Argentinian players took the penalty kick.
    So you can talk about European sportsmanship all you want, but we know who you really are.

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Of course.

They are, and probably will continue being a powerful team, with or without their current superstar. Not unlikely that from the existing powerful teams that exist nowdays the next GOAT player that will come to replace current GOAT players in the future will appear in one of these teams.
    Great teams usually produce great players. And Argentina is and has always been one of them.

It's not for nothing but since the beginings, in the past they produced the fabulous Alfredo di Stefano (whom decided to leave his country and radicated in Spain), then came Maradona, and now they enjoy to have Messi with them. I'd say that in the next 20 years a new "fulgurant" superstar will appear coming from Argentina, that one of the next generations to come will sure consider to be the GOAT.

For Portugal's case, you had, probably one of the best "gems" ever that football produced when you had the original "black panther", Eusebio (to me, the best "killer" ever in front of the goalposts), then came Figo (although at a slightly lower level), and after came CR7 whom we all know at present times.

Moishe and r0adrunner repped this.
  5. diegomaradona1010

Sep 16, 2017
    Did you attend the game? If so you could see the Dutch players approach the Argentine PK taker prior to each kick. Only the Dutch did it. This explains why the Argentine players retaliated after they won. Even the English press reported this (and we know they are not sympathetic towards Argentina).

ganapordiego and Moishe repped this.
  6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Not true.

Without Messi, Argentina's performance declines to at least 30% of what they usually produce, as Messi is the author of most of their goals and assists. In the Copa America which Argentina won, for instance, Messi was Argentina's top assistant and top goalscorer (of the 12 goals Argentina scored along the tournament, he scored 4 and assisted in 5 others).

Argentina is capable of beating other teams without him, because after all they are a strong team, but stats don't lie. In Argentina they know it very well, and they get very worried if he happens to not be available.

During past qualifiers, he only missed 2 matches against teams that at the time being were having big problems not scoring much and with lots of injured players in their ranks (v. Chile away, v Colombia at home), reasons why both teams at the end didn't qualify, which Argentina still won with 1 goal leads, but in both of those they didn't look as the dominant side, as they usually do.

7. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I saw it in the video that was shared above.

Regardless Argentinian players would have shown class if they just had celebrated.

Just because they showed bad behaviour because the Dutch did it doesn't make them looking any better imo.

r0adrunner repped this.
  8. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    Actually I disagree. Not being able to sub in the arguably worst striker in the entire tournament in the semifinal is definitely good luck. :D

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They got pissed just because Van Gaal said he wanted revenge for 2014 loss ? That is some weak shit. That isn't disrespectful. Disrespectful would be saying the other team isn't that good and saying you'd win easy. Or something of that sort.

Trash talking the PK takers during the shootout was dirty tactics for sure. But Paredes kicking the ball in the dugout happened way before that and so did Messi provoking Van Gaal with his celebration in front of the Dutch dugout.

Fancy Suspect, Kamtedrejt and Rickdog repped this.
  10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Nobody talking about how Southgate’s absolutely useless strategies cost us dear again ?

Mount and Sterling on with
    ELEVEN minutes to go and only after going down 2:1 !!!

Sterling replaces our main ( only ) threat in Saka who was having a field day … don’t think Sterling even had a touch of the ball !!

Rashford came on in the 85th minute !!!

Grealish came on with TWO minutes of extra time remaining …

We equalised in the 54th minute and were on top and that was the time to make 3 or 4 substitutions given our bench was stacked with quality options and they had basically NOBODY to bring on .

He could even have really gone for it and brought on 5 fresh pairs of legs as you get a 6th sub in extra time

11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You just have to try and take credit for something, someway, somehow. Don’t you?
    :rolleyes:

I’ll go out on a limb and suggest that if Argentina don’t win the World Cup, it won’t be because someone named Kamtedrejt placed a “jinx” on them.

The only credit you deserve is for jinxing Netherlands and Portugal by picking them to reach the final. Much respect to you in that regard.

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That’s because no one cares about England.

Cosmin10 and Christina99 repped this.
  13. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Well, Messi in particular was angry because they said something akin to "he's good but off the ball they play with 10" and that he didn't do anything in the 2014 match. Things which are absolutely true but I can see why they would piss off Messi.

ganapordiego and celito repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok . That makes a bit more sense now .

Rickdog repped this.
  15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    And by any chance do you have the plausible explanation of why kicking the ball directly to the dutch bench ?

I bet it must be very interesting.....
    :rolleyes:

16. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    #2041 waitforit, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    You know what .... give me 5 examples of that and I will donate 10 euros each for every example for a total of 50 euros. To unicef

10 examples. 100 euros. See I won't make you do the work for nothing.

edit: You know I already did that ... I just donated 50 Euros. Make me at least double it

You don't get it

Pointing that about every world cup since 2002 has had a different Euro Champion with 7/8 finalists is being an eurosnob

Pointing out that since the expansion only Brazil has been the only non Euro champion.

Pointing out Europe has 4 different champions, Croatia and Netherlands each have 3 semis since 1998 (1 finals each) plus one each for Portugal Turkey England Belgium make you an eurosnob

4+2+4 = 10 teams that reached the semis in the last 5 world cups = same number of teams CONMEBOL has in total

You can outright put facts here you need % out of % to prove why a continent is superior. You need to accept math which logic lends to stuff like UEFA needs to win 3 WC this WC to be as good as CONMEBOL to not be an eurosnob

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  17. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    In your style:

I never said anything about or gave my approval to the general behavior of the team or other incidents. Maybe you're mixing me with another user.

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No problem man.

I never implied it, as such.
    If I would though, I usually don't go on rodeos and go straight for the kill :p

19. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Probably quite off topic but I've seen it about 30 times on tiktok and I've gotta know. For the argies, who was Messi telling to ******** off when giving that post match interview where the interviewer even said 'tranquillo Leo, tranquilo' ?

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Weghorst

Paul Calixte repped this.
  21. Weghorst was saying to Messi what a fantastic player he was, expressing his admiration for him.

22. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    I made no judgement on Argentinian players behavior. I don’t care one way or the other.
    I was pointing out European hypocrisy.

ganapordiego repped this.
  23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Do we know yet how many crucial players Morocco will be missing tonight ?

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, the footballer's attitude is that what was said on the field stays on the field, and Weghorst naturally thought it was all good afterwards... but Messi was apparently pissed from LVG's comments even before the game (honestly couldn't tell you if he was sincerely upset, or just hyping himself up, although he's not really known for the latter), so he was in no mood to fraternize.

25. So why the continuation with the slurring to WW at his world cup parties?
    After the 2006 Nurnberg battle of Portugal vs the Orange Squad the ref of that match told later he was amazed that after the match was over the players were okay with each other, they even thought it wasnot that bad/rough at all, he learned from them.
    And Messi takes his grunts out on someone who hasnot been part of what you describe at all. I think it's more a case of that WW was the guy who made him shit his pants in fear of tripping before the finish line.