Who are the favorites to win the WC 2022?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by MIGkiller, Mar 31, 2021.

?

Who will win in 2022?

1. Germany

19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. France

33 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Brazil

54 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. Argentina

36 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. Portugal

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Spain

10 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. England

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Netherlands

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  9. Italy

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. Belgium

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  11. Other

24 vote(s)
    14.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doctor Football 81

Jun 5, 2022
    I’m
    Still shocked at how many people
    Put Portugal so low here. Only France is objectively better. Look at their players and where they play and the depth. It’s truly outstanding. They are as stacked as Spain 2010 or Brazil 2002

France
    Is just something else but they have the champions curse and they are hit or miss often

nighthawk_2002 repped this.
  2. Doctor Football 81

Jun 5, 2022
    You don’t know what you are taking about. Age criteria? This since the 2000s players are playing longer and longer and this is a winter world
    Cup which benefits older players. They call me doctor football for a reason.

nighthawk_2002 repped this.
  3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I mean I published some stats here a couple of days ago that your typical World Cup winner in recent times is a nation with an average age below 27.00.
    Italy 2006 has been the only outlier in that regard since 1998.

4. Doctor Football 81

Jun 5, 2022
    Small
    Sample size and look at Ronaldo and Pepe they are beasts. Portugal has youth too like Nuno mendes who is the greatest left back in the world alongside the canadien Alphonso Davies.

I have a medical degree and scout in my spare time

5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Yet I hear even Portugese people complain that they don't have a pattern of play. I didn't watch yesterday's game but it's also my impression.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I gave the odds for the 6 so-called heavy weights (Brazil, France, Argentina, England, Spain and Germany) winning the title as around 51% but if I changed the 6 to Brazil, France, Argentina, Holland, Portugal and Uruguay instead, the latter's collective odds to lift the trophy would improve and jump to around 60% IMO. If the top 6 were expanded to the top 9 to include all of these teams (Brazil, France, Argentina, Holland, Portugal, Uruguay, England, Spain and Germany), the odds that the winner emerge from among the top 9 would be around 85% IMO.

7. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Where does this 8-0 come from? It certainly doesn't include the last World Cup, when Argentina had two losses and a draw against UEFA.

8. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #783 Gilbertsson, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Denmark, Uruguay, Netherlands, Portugal, Japan could have nice results.:)

Mexico seems as mystery. Players are mostly in Mexican league. Good or bad?
    Is their league strong as La Liga?

Are better teams loosing or playing draws intentionally in UEFA Nations League?
    Unusual that France lost against Denmark, defeat of Croatia against Austria, high defeat of Belgium, Spanish 2-2 against Czechs, England lost against Hungary.

Rabiot, Modric, Courtois on the bench...

Betting trickery?:D

Portugal, Denmark, Italy, Germany, Czech care about their A League status.

9. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, it includes the phenomenal run of Scaloni team, since 2019 until now: 33 games unbeaten, Copa America win, finalissima win, impeccable qualys, all these while playing beautiful futbol. This is what some people here were saying, but the answer was we havent play against europeans in this run, so it didnt count.

We played europeans now and scored 8 goals and conceded 0 (in 2 games)

10. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Okay we get it, the Euro snobs hurt your feelings and you're out to prove a point. When you have to include Estonia to make a point about it being 8-0 it comes across as kinda sad and also very pointless. I mean it's Estonia, some teams might have scored all 8 in just that 1 game. Be proud of the win against Italy, but being happy you did what several other teams could have done to Estonia, I mean come on man.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I guess its going to be a weird Nations League campaign because of the timing of most of the matches. Plus you have 3 teams engaged in WC qualifying who will essentially ignore their NL matches.

UEFA also uses this competition to rank their members and determine the pots for the Euro qualifying draw. I expect to see some powerhouses in pot 2 and some smaller teams in higher pots than you would normally expect them. For instance, one can already see that teams like Finland and Iceland could easily wind-up in the same pot as Italy, France and/or England.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  12. If not for the UNL, they would play friendlies as preps.

13. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Sorry Mr Doctor, I was agreeing with most of what you were saying but have you really compared this current Portuguese team with Brazil 2002?

This PT team is solid and underrated but extremely far from Brazil 2002.

Also, a team that starts Pepe, who will be a few months away from his 40th birthday in the WC, does not have that stacked of a squad.

France, England and Brazil have way more depth. And Argentina’s starting eleven is scary. Hence Portugal being in the 2nd tier of the top contenders.

unclesox, ganapordiego and Christina99 repped this.
  14. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that Portugal always have great talent and always seem to underperform at the World Cup. Outside of their run to the semis in 2006, they've never even made a quarterfinal. In 2020 & 2014 they didn't make it out of the group stage, and in 2010 & 2018 they lost in the R16.

Noahgghhujjjnbb and Christina99 repped this.
  15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    All of what you say is true but ultimately more in the nature of trivia than something relevant that one can build a cogent argument around.

16. Doctor Football 81

Jun 5, 2022
    Have you seen Pepe play? He is still very good and they also have Ruben Dias who starts for Manchester city and Danilo from PSG. Portugal has usually been a defensively solid team.

I am aware Brazilians usually aren’t fond of Portugal and hate them from what I understand, but if I was a Brazil fan I would want to avoid a potential round of 16 clash against Portugal.

I don’t think argentina eleven is better. Portugal is much better. Just look at where their players play and their roles. The only team that is better is France if you look at things objectively.

17. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    God it’s funny reading your reply to Z posts

artielange84 repped this.
  18. Doctor Football 81

Jun 5, 2022
    The current team is much stronger than previous teams including 2006. Portugal reached 1966 semis and third place which you omitted .

But yes Portugal isn’t a historical superpower like Brazil Germany Italy etc but they’ve been strong in recent times. Rather then that being used as a stick to beat them with, I prefer to see it as complimentary. After all they only have 10 million population.

19. Doctor Football 81

Jun 5, 2022
    Also I am a hungary fan for the record. I look at football neutrally and I consider myself a student of the game.

20. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What been going on Z?

BocaFan and artielange84 repped this.
  21. In my opinion a country can only be considered a superpower in soccer if they through time regulary make it into the semi finals of the WC and/or EURO's.
    Every country can make it once or twice into it, but that can be the result of luck or a fluke alignment of the stars giving a talented generation, or a combo of both.
    Superpowers do it as a habit.

Christina99 repped this.
  22. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    And Serbia, because they objectively finished ahead of Portugal against the exact same competition.

DrScorpio repped this.
  23. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    People don't rate Portugal high because this last match is the best they have played in years. It's simple as that.

Everyone is aware of their individual quality but it doesn't matter if you play like crap.
    If they can keep the level of last game then maybe the general opinion on them will start to swing.

DrScorpio, ganapordiego and Nani_17 repped this.
  24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Portugal has started playing closer to its potential recently. Their high point was their game against the Swiss but they were impressive enough against Turkey in the playoffs as well. Of course, for all the teams including Portugal, its best they hit their peak form in November/December in Qatar and not much earlier. It is important to remember that besides many other things, the form of teams (like players) is hardly constant. It has a certain degree of fluctuation although the floor and ceiling for the best should ordinarily be higher than for other teams/players.

25. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As a die hard fan of Portugal I really can't blame anyone for not picking them as a favorite. I mean there is really no reason to. For about 5 years they have been extremely, and I mean extremely underwhelming.

I will say however that I still have a cautious optimism because only maybe 4 or 5 teams in the world can match their quality player for player. And after so many years there has been some positive signs that it might be changing. Still, I need to see much more consistency before my confidence increases, but maybe just maybe the timing is coming together at a perfect moment.

verde-rubro repped this.