Who are the favorites to win the WC 2022?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by MIGkiller, Mar 31, 2021.

?

Who will win in 2022?

1. Germany

19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. France

33 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Brazil

54 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. Argentina

36 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. Portugal

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Spain

10 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. England

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Netherlands

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  9. Italy

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. Belgium

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  11. Other

24 vote(s)
    14.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I speak as a neutral being an Italy fan. It is not easy to judge Southgate because this is his first job in adult football.

My assessment of England is based more on the players they have and the ones coming through. I have the impression Southgate is a good coach, good enough to win an int'l competition anyay.

Every Four Years repped this.
  2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #27 Kamtedrejt, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    You might be right about Italy's lack of quality in the final third. It's difficult to assess Italy's level. We haven't seen them playing A tier teams in a while. I guess even Italian supporters don't know the real level of their team yet.

Italy have a reputation of a tournament team you know. It's rather rare that they bow out early. They go usually deep more often than not. But they are going through a drought at the World Cup since ever they won in 2006.
    England don't have this reputation. They have the reputation of under-performers or even bottlers. In 2018 they should have reached the Final after being 1:0 up against Croatia and that 1st half where it looked clearly England's to lose.

3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    The bold part is debatable. Personally I don't think he is.

4. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    well, they came very clost to playing the big game in 2018, so why not?

5. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the latest FIFA co-efficient ranking published today, UEFA teams occupy 6 of the first 7 positions and 7 of the first 10. The other 3 in the top 10 are CONMEBOL teams, although both Argentina and Uruguay - eighth and nineth respectively - both lost positions over the last month.

Traditionally strong teams like Germany, Switzerland, Croatia, the Netherlands and Sweden are all just outside the top 10 and this is testament to the strength in depth among UEFA teams.

6. Chillbot

Chillbot New Member

BVB
    Germany
    Jun 20, 2018
    Copenhagen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don’t have half the nerdyness of some of you guys, and as such, do not watch as many games and dive into the details as much - So take this with a grain of salt.

But, I just don’t get the Portugal hype at all...

7. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I'm not hyping them up. Most powerhouses are not going through their best phase. Portugal is one of the improved teams sice ever they won EURO 2016. They tend to do very well in EUROs and not so much in World Cups. This will change rather sooner than later.

8. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Other

The winner will be whichever big name nation takes a stand and boycotts Qatar. Sadly, there likely will be no winner. It certainly won't be all the workers who are being held in the country against their will building stadiums and infrastructure for less wages than promised in conditions which has already produced over 6,000 deaths.

9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    No nation dares to boycott the World Cup. Because it's an event which takes place only every four years. For a boycott to have an impact there have to be several powerful and big football nations to do that. Even if one big name boycotts it chances aren't high that others will follow. Most nations will content themselves with some campaigns for attracting attention for this matter.

10. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every 4 years like the Olympics. No nation would ever boycott the Olympics.......oh wait.....

And, no, I don't think any country will put morals over the glory of sports. That's kind of the point.

11. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, I think the self professed ignorance probably explains why you don't see it. That being said, I think Portugal, England, italy and Spain have roughly the same chances, with France being the main stand out, and Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark a notch below.

12. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For me in 2022, I see it being a first time Winner who wins the World Cup and this first time winner will be from Europe

Out of these first time winners:

Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands and Croatia

I'm going with Portugal. Portugal is just too deep of a team right now...they are loaded at almost every position but also I see Ronaldo having that perfect storybook ending to his national team career.

He wins the World Cup for Portugal and then retires solidifying himself as the GOAT so there is no debate any more between him and Messi.

13. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm watching the Euros and I think it's safe to say there's no chance of a non-Euro team win the World Cup next year.

14. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One year is a long way off, and I've heard that sort of comment often in past cycles.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I still say Belgium, Brazil and Argentina are my favorites to win it all in Qatar next year

ganapordiego repped this.
  16. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #41 Kamtedrejt, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Belgium are coming from an exit to Italy at the EUROs.
    Roberto Martinez got outcoached by Mancini today. I don't see Belgium winning anything with him at the helm. On the other side time is too short for a managerial change.
    Belgium's key players won't get any younger. If they couldn't win EURO 2020 when several powerhouses dissappointed then there is not much to believe that they could win the World Cup when competition will probably be even more fierce than at this EUROs.

vancity eagle and Ofori repped this.
  17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then who are your picks to win it all

18. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Too early to tell.
    Ask me again in fall 2022 if I'm still around here.

Ofori repped this.
  19. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Brazil might reach the semi finals, Argentina might reach the quarters, there their tournaments should terminate.

It would be suprising if all four semi-finalists were not UEFA teams.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Also have to include Portugal and the reigning world champion France

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It has been a while since a South American team won the WC and its going to be a while longer still. Argentina have no chance in 2022. Brazil very small.

r0adrunner repped this.
  22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    If anything these Euros have just proven the unpredictability of the sport, add Qatar into the mix and I think almost anything can happen.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I dunno. I think COVID has a lot to do with the unpredictability and that will (hopefully) be close to a non-factor 18 months from now.

That said, I expect a lot of surprises in WC 2022 qualifying, which would impact the groups we will get in Qatar, which in-turn effects the whole tournament.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The last time Asia hosted the World Cup there were so many surprises and unpredictable results.

I expect an even crazier 2022 World Cup.

vancity eagle and Cosmin10 repped this.
  25. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    It was a summer World Cup back then though.