Who are the 10 Mexican players?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Husker, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Husker

Husker New Member

Mar 14, 1999
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching ESPN News they have been talking about the 10 Mexican players that Chivas USA already has. Does anyone have a list of these players? I heard Rongen mention Ramon Ramirez in the interview and someone else who I missed.

2. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Ramon Ramirez and Francisco Palencia are the only players selected to join Chivas USA there hasnt been news on other players, maybe in the next weeks..

3. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    If I'm not mistaken, next year teams will be allowed to have 4 senior internationals, and 3 transitional internationals. That ads up to 7. Does that mean the last 3 will have to be youth players? Or are there players with Chivas that already have green cards. I don't get it. It must be the new math.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    The 2 new teams have an additional 2 SIs for a still undetermined amount of time.

Which gives them 6 SIs and 3 TIs and maybe a player already with a Green Card?

5. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, I think they get 2 extra TIs, not SIs. So, 4 SIs and 5 TIs, but I could be wrong.

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got De La Torre, who is a dual US/Mexican citizen, so with 4 SIs and 5 TIs they could have 10 Mexicans. Also Gomez is a US-born Mexican-American.

7. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Is Orlando Perez Mexican?

8. Husker

Husker New Member

Mar 14, 1999
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of the 10 players I was asking about were players from the expansion draft. I read on the Wynalda article up on MLSNet that Alfredo Talavera was one of the players too.

9. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Talavera or another Mexican keeper would have to be coming--they can't have the keeper, of all people, not speak Spanish. Jonny Walker was the only possibility, and when they didn't take him, that's what this meant (unless there's a trade brewing or something).

10. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    2 additional TIs for two years.

11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    guys, TI's?

a transitional International? is that a player in his way to obtain the green card or some other working permit? :rolleyes:

12. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

basically it's someone that can still represent their countries youth national team. 23 is the cutoff I believe. They don't count towards the four senior international spots.

13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Only 10 mexican players? At least they're not racist:rolleyes:

14. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    RSL and Chivas USA got 5 TI slots apiece. Earlier Chivas USA traded Jeff Stewart for one of RSL's TI slots, so now they have 4 SI slots and 6 TI slots.

All I heard about Mexican players coming to Chivas USA were Ramon Ramirez, Francisco Palencia, and Alfredo Talavera. But there's a thread here that says Palencia ain't coming.

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Palencia isn't coming (he doesn't want to)

Zuniga will likely be the keeper

Romo and Sandoval will likely be sent to Chivas USA

So that's 4/5 of the 10. The rest aren't known publicly