Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Is this another goose chase fuelled by a player agent playing the p.r. spin game?

And if it indeed happens and they do complete this big money signing, can we finally get away from the not-owning-their-own-stadium narrative as the reasons why they can't make such signings? If there was ever a time to play the "financially can't compete in a salary cap league" card, this time of Covid ecoomics would be it.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i think these rumors have legs and the Caps WILL sign a #10 before summer, maybe even next week

the Caps owners and axel have the will to take the caps up the ladder of MLS

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    LETS NOT DUMP ON CAVALLINI:

everyone wanted lucas to succeed, but it just hasnt happened- he pounded the turf, running hard and tried his best

he has to be hugely disappointed and he and his family wanted to be in vancouver

it just hasnt worked out for Cava- watching brian white score the tying goal on a terrific header and creating space for caicado to score a magnificent goal brings home the adage- with lucas, the caps were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

and white is a round peg fitting nicely into a round hole and for 1/6 of the salary cost!!

it has to hurt, but- to his credit- Cava has kept his mouth shut and tried to reverse his fortunes, but it aint going to happen

4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Looked off song again as a sub vs San Jose.

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    when the Caps zag, cava zigs; when the caps zig, cava zags- its painful and frustrating to watch

there is absolutely no way he stays for 2022

6. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    he has checked out mentally a long time ago; we have all watched enough sports and athletes to know when someone is completely done. He didn't even bother to join the team for the "stand by me" deal with the supporters after the match.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A question for Caps fans: What do you think will happen this off season with Cavallini?

Brian White obviously had a great year and has taken Cavallini's spot on the field. Is White for real that you want to bet on him as your guy, or did he just have a once-in-a-career year? Because I don't see the Whitecaps paying a DP to be a backup.

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I would be absolutely shocked if he is back. he looked like he checked out and doesn't fit well at this point. And yes, wasting a DP spot on him to be a back up is not ideal; our owners are cheap so every dollar and spot counts. Can't waste it.

It also surprises me he still gets called for the MNT. Once Akinola is back and being called up, why on earth even have him there?

He had significant attitude issues years back with his desire to play for Uruguay (arrogantly so) and refusal to play for Canada then expressing regret he got cap tied for us. I also questioned his commitment when he refused to go to that mini tournament in 2020. I know, covid and all, but if you're entire team goes it says a lot about you for "staying back for safety" Its not like any of his team mates were going on a death march when in such a tight bubble.

Overall, he should be gone. If not, I would question Axel's sanity on this one.

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Thanks for your answer.

I don't think that has anything to do with cheap owners. No team wants to waste a DP spot. Even high spending teams still want value for their dollars.

Your comment about fit seems accurate. He has talent but sometimes the chemistry just isn't there. (As a TFC fan, Soteldo has the same problem.)

He does score for the NT where he seems to have better chemistry with his team mates. I like Akinola but I don't see him as a replacement for Cavallini. Happily, we are currently strong in the goal scoring department so Herdman has some options to play with.

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Cava's value and play has dropped considerably- its not in the Caps or his interest to stay for 2022 (his contract ends december 31, 2022)- a loan deal (who would want a 9 goal. slow-footed player with 9 goals in 2 years), a trade (who would want him at 29 years of age on a salary of $1.5 mill USD and cant recover from, leg injuries ??) or a buy-out (which a MLS team can do for 1 player/year, but the Caps get nothing back in return)

MY GUESS- a loan to a team in euro or mexico where the Caps have to pick up part of his salary - he gets to try a new season of hope, and the Caps save some money and a DP spot- its the only scenario where both Cava and the Caps win; if the Caps were magically offered $2 mill in a sell-off, they should run to the bank asap

BUT the Caps will need another offensive weapon so i think we will see another #9 coming in pre-season-- i saw enough of brian white to know that he will compete hard to be the starter he was in 2021- i also think another defensive player will be added and then wait and see how the team performs until june

as far as the Canadian national team, coach herdman has a growing list of offensive weapons and junior hoilett is back in-form- i would be surprised if Cava is on the team for the upcoming 3 game swing

11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Thanks for your thoughts.

The fact that he plays in MLS - and is therefore out of season - might also affect his selection for this set of games. And if not his selection to the team, then certainly his game day selection.

12. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The stable of forwards is certainly growing. The marriage to the Whitecaps is over and he knows he needs to go somewhere to play. Herdman likes Cavallini as his battering ram that will crash into opposing center backs and get around to box. I actually think Akindele is a better player for that last 15 minutes role as he is better at flick ons , chest downs etc. Not as physical and mean but offers something different in a Fellaini kind of way. Otherwise, Larin, David, Davies, Hoilett, Ugbo, Akinola and Brym give plenty of depth. Herdman is loyal though so Cavallini is not out of the running.

13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yes, I like Akindele over Cava as well.

Herdman is loyal that is part of his thing. Good or bad depends on the circumstances. It burned him with Sessleman in the WC 2015! But over all it is a quality that players do respond to unless they are on the wrong side of it (like Arfield).

I am not sure how many players they can call up this round. If its the old 23 no way Cava is there (its hard to justify). If its 30 maybe they will just to have him around.

It is also very smart to not be playing friendlies before the matches. One covid case would change the outcome if it's a super key player. I am dark humor smiling that some of our players have just gone through Covid because it makes it highly unlikely they can test positive only 3 weeks later.

legendofzola repped this.
  14. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Hard to say about Cavallini's return. Seems like his contract is an albatross but perhaps the club will eat it with a much lower transfer fee back to Mexico in order to prevent a distraction.

Ugbo seems to be building some mo, soI am not so sure about Cavallini's NT roster place. His hold up play really dropped off following his injury and if he was still hurt, he should never have been with the Nats but instead spending as much time as possible rehabbing under the direction of the guys who pay him the big bucks, the Caps.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i doubt many clubs- if any- in MLS, Mexico or europe will want to purchase cava 100%

the only options are:

1. keep him for 2022 and hope he resurrects himself and he makes a difference on the field-- see if sartini can weave his magic, at least until mid-season .................. or

2. a loan with a 50-50 salary division between the Caps and the loanee club- it would save the Caps $ 750 000 - Cava then would be free to make his own deal for 2023

3. a trade within MLS, but what club would want to pay lucas $1.5 mill ?? i would encourage the Caps to trade for a field maintenance member in order to make the deal- IMO, cava's stock has sunk that far

i thought that Cava was a great signing- i was WRONG- time to cut bait

what do i think will happen- 1st. the Caps will have no takers and cava will start in Vancouver 2nd- a 50-50 loan outside MLS

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Unfortunately, not every signing will work out, not even the big ones. As a TFC fan, I can point to Defoe as an example. On the plus side, the Whitecaps ownership group does appear to be making a legitimate effort, which is a change for the good.

I hope Cavallini does either turn it around in Vancouver or get back on track elsewhere. An all out Cavallini is a great asset for the national team.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Pre-season thoughts:

1. 1 new player capable of starting on defence- tristan blackmon- a little more mobile than our other CBs- and we add some experience and depth- a good move for little $$$- if godoy can stay healthy for large portions of the season, this is a better defence than 2021, plus nerwinski really added spunk to his game last half season

2. 2 'new MFs'- alexandre and vite will add depth and excitement - we should be able to maintain more control of the middle 3rd and move the ball faster and more skillfully to the front 3rd (add them to teibert, owusu, baldisimo/raposo (if they stay), and Wing-backs in dajome and gutierrez)- certainly more agility and options for sartini to work with - no need to spend NOW- wait and see

3. having gauld here all season is a real bonus- gotta keep him healthy and not burn him out

4. the big need IMO is at striker - caicado, white, bair, egbo, habibullah, ricketts is shallow with proven talent to score- relying on white to score at the pace of last season is risky- we need to spend $$$ on a striker- who knows whats going to happen with Cavalinni (hard to see any takers for his salary (unless there is a 50-50 loan which the Caps should grab at) - what will his attitude be like if he stays ??

what do i think will happen ?? Axel might wait for 2-3 months before getting the owners to open their wallets

really looking forward to the season- we will know by june what the Caps need to do in order to be a competitive playoff team

USA94 repped this.
  18. USA94

USA94 Member

SoCal
    United States
    Dec 27, 2019

LAFC close to acquiring goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau from Vancouver Whitecaps, sources say. If completed, trade would probably involve allocation money only. Crépeau hasn't been in Vancouver camp. LAFC has only one keeper on roster at moment (Tomás Romero, age 21). #mls

Source confirms LAFC finalizing trade for Canadian international GK Max Crepeau from the Vancouver Whitecaps. @SoccerInsider 1st.

Hearing the deal will be for around $1m GAM. Crepeau, 27, among best GKs in MLS. Has made 57 apps with the Whitecaps.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  19. USA94

USA94 Member

SoCal
    United States
    Dec 27, 2019
    I guess they are all in on Hasal (22).
    Had to look up their other senior GK: Evan Newton (33)

I would have expected more of han 1 million as a minimum, realistically closer to 2 actually for Crépeau.
    IMO he is a top 5 keeper in MLS at least.

Also for Canadian MLS teams Canadian players are more valuable than for US based teams because of the labor rules.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    THIS IS A MAJOR SURPRISE !!!

(i think a XX factor or 2 comes into play with this decision)

loosing max is a loss- without his courage and play in goal, we wouldnt have made the playoffs- i do expect that young Thomas Hasal will get the first run at goal- its his position to loose IMO-- 22 is a very young goalie, a position where players take longer to mature

i do expect the Caps to bring in a solid, seasoned back-up, using Crepeau's +$200K salary - then they have the bonus of $1 mill to put in the bank for acquiring a player in mid-season (june-july) - Axel will wait and see how the team shapes up

hasal did have some good and bad moments when he had starts, but i do expect him to be pumped up for the challenge

i wish Max well- he served the Caps professionally and IMO was the best MLS goalie for the 2021 final 4 months

21. USA94

USA94 Member

SoCal
    United States
    Dec 27, 2019
  22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its like i said above-- XX DNA - its the only thing that could have caused maxie to want to blow dodge

his marriage and a new baby are paramount- he did the right thing

lets wish him well- a very courageous, skillful goalie

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    now the question is- can thomas hasal at age 22 be the first team goalie ??

i do expect another experienced goalie to come in

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the LA area is a major center for medical treatment, so that might be another reason for Max to LAFC

family before career is right

25. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wish Max nothing but the best. Sad to see him go from the Caps, he's a massive part of our National Team moving forward.