Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Hopefully he can develop into another Daryl Dike.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ARENT YOU TIRED OF THE CAPS AND MEDIAS SHIT REPORTING OF A TOP AMF ??

i said it wouldnt happen - It’s being reported that Chiquinho’s close to joining Trabzonspor- no way the Caps owners would spring $9 mill on a fringe benfica MF- for once, i agree with their decision

and everyone is reporting that deiber caicado is a Whitecap-- i havent read of any signing, but i think this might have some legs

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    drafting a 22 year old, just out of college player is too old for the world of professional soccer where talented, ambitious players are going for it by the age of 17 and have already been identified and involved with professional clubs-- out of the 4 draftees, i would say that javain brown might stick around for more than 2 years- most draftees will be fringe, fill out the roster for very modest money

unlike the NBA and NFL, college soccer hasnt been a significant development ground for successful professional soccer players - its just the way it is

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Trade bait. You can always get something for a forward. So either he is better than Bair or not. One will be traded/sold. I hope Bair sticks because he is younger and better IMHO.

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Well, they get to compete for minutes and there is still the possibility that Bair might be Olympic bound (if the event happens), so at the very least the draft pick might be here for the season as depth.

Schuster's positive recent comments about Bair but followed up with a possible Dike-like striker prospect might suggest that club wants to see the young Canadian forward pick up his intensity on a regular basis, compete, and earn the minutes. Competition brings out the best in players and I have no problem with this. Frankly, I hope the Canadian guy comes through but If Egbo indeed is seen to be better according to Schuster, I'm sure there still will be plenty of Caps fans here and elsewhere who will nit pick the Nigerian rookie's performance.

I just want to see the team move beyond the mediocrity of the last several years, regardless of playing staff nationality.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    your definition of mediocrity is very generous and its been since coming to MLS in 2011- the Club has only had 1 decent year- if you dont make the playoffs, you are less than mediocre and its been the Caps MO

having said that, with a an additional 2 quality players- AMF and pacey left striker- the Caps could even be more than mediocre in 2021

and as i have said numerous times, Theo should blow dodge; and waiting until the age off 22 to start your professional career really limits your chances of making it

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
  8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    caicado is a good signing, and he might become a very good signing- well done, axel schuster!!

now the AMF- FC Porto's Otavio would be a great signing!- and please, not the guy from benfica at $9 mill and is a bench-sub player (a blunder in the making)

one player done, 1 player to go in making the Caps a play-off potential team

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    APPARENTLY THERE IS HOPE

with the new signings- caicedo, gaspar, and the high possibility of caio alexandre- and the addition of a scouting staff and director of recruiting, its a possibility that the ownership group is FINALLY realizing that major changes were needed... and that would take investment, in order to save the franchise

what i am seeing is to my liking- the proof, of course, will be the outcomes on the field - if we see an additional investment in a #10 DP, then we have become a competitive team in MLS

and that would make me want to purchase STs when we can go to BC Place Stadium

10. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    They were generally atrocious at spending the MLS Cap money, allocation moneys, and transfer funds from sales like Davies . At the very least it looks like Axel will be spending that money better and voila! we may have a better team.

They can't get to a cup contender without getting a true impact player or two, and those come with salaries Kerfoot won't pay and never has. I don't know about you, but i am at the end of my rope with this altered lifestyle the last 12 months and am eager to get back into many of the hobbies and interests and travel that have been gone during this time.

Now we just have to hope Dr Bonnie keeps her word and lifts restrictions once 70-80 percent of the people have been vaccinated.

However, early indications this year tell me that Axel's abilities are an upgrade on MDS and Carl Robinson, which if it pans out will be nice to see.

There is enough money within MLS cap and allocations to field a competitive squad and not be a bottom feeder if there is good management running the show.

We shall see, but if he can get more out of the funds they have provided to them, he will deserve recognition. I am certainly encouraged at what appear to be better signings within the same overall budget.

Now we just have to hope Dr Bonnie keeps her word about lifting restrictions once 70 - 80 percent of the population have vaccinations.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i actually have more hope of a better Whitecap season than i do of Bonnie Henry releasing any control- she has moved from a caring informative, directive health officer to a medical bureaucrat- even her court judge re: the opening of churches said the same thing... too much control with little stats to back her continuing her and the NDP entrenched, non-sensical covid policies against churches opening under moderations- she doesnt like to loose- dont be fooled by her seemingly mild mannerisms

time to kick her to the back bench -- who isnt getting tired of seeing her boring, dour repetitive diatribes on the tellie every day ?? her salary is going to be HUGE and then add in her book and shoes to rake in more money

give me more of axel than bonnie

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    And the guy the Caps could have taken is presently lighting it up on loan at Barnsley in the Championship and is a hot transfer target overseas. Schuster must be thinking that is one that got away and is hoping that Egbo can have a similar trajectory

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dike is a monster! Baldisimo isn’t as big as one of Dike’s legs.

14. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Lol!

15. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I will be glad when this is all over. I do wonder if it will be easy for her to let go or if they will keep the state of emergency powers for her long after we reach that vaccination level that makes this a minor issue.

16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    depends when she has finished writing her book on how to become a millionaire bureaucrat and then 'milk' the limelight to promote it

17. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    From what I can gather it has sold a significant number of copies. So she has certainly made her money.

People seem to keep thinking she is donating all this, she isn't. She donated the advance, which is an amount she is given to secure the rights to the book. It very well could have been a good chunk of money (50 to 100 k perhaps), but she is making well over 2 million dollars from this book and unless she produces names and receipts, she is keeping it to herself. To release it now was just being a carpetbagger in my view.

Anyways, enough about her and her dire views on human existence. Let's dream of having fun without her terrifying everyone.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    AMEN TO THAT !!

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    After watching the group round of matches of Canada at the Olympic qualifying, the Caps who have impressed me the most have been Cornelius (the skipper has been great but might be out for the semi :( ) and, surprisingly, Metcalfe (looks a more confident player at this level while both he and former Cap Norman, both natural mids, did yeoman work at CB for the last 20+ minutes of the Honduras match after Cornelius went down). Baldi has been really up and down and looked pretty gassed in the second half of the Honduras game (the weaknesses in his game which we have seen last year, especially coughing up the ball deep while under the press, have been discouraging). Raposo is a non factor: he hasn't shown anything in his sub appearances to make me think he will be a contributor this year or beyond. The biggest disappointment for me has been Bair: even playing as a CF vs Honduras, with the in-form Buchanan on his right wing, he looked the weakest starter during the Honduras match and continues to become more and more of an enigma. Regardless of how we do in the semi, the big guy needs to have statement guy and not what I have seen so far in this tourney.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i have been saying for 2 years lacks the professional drive to be any kind of impactful player... and you cant coach that

for his own sake, he needs to blow dodge and get a new format, but i am not convinced that he has the physical, mental and emotional toughness and committment to cash in

he is getting to the point of no return and the Caps should shop him around as a loanee to a USL or CPL club

i am surprised he is a starter with the olympic team, let alone on the team at all

and if a player like baldisimo cant play a 90 min game without getting gassed after 60 mins, he needs a professional kick to the lower extremeties- talent isnt enough

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    from-
    "The $5m the Caps have offered Gremio of Brazil for Jean Pyerre would be for 50% of his rights. This means that Gremio would get half of his next transfer fee should the Caps sell him at a later date."

Jean Pyerre - Player profile 2021 | Transfermarkt

transfer fee would be in the +$5-7 mill USD range, then you have to pay his salary which must be in the ballpark range of cava of + $1 mill

selling adnan is making more sense- $ 2 mill transfer fee plus dropping his $1.2 mill salary- Gutti is an easy replacement and deserves to be a regular starter

are the owners opening their wallets or is there more alphonso davies money from his successes at bayern ??

if the Caps and axel pull this off- on paper- the team is a definite playoff-western conference contender - 22 year old jean appears to be the #10 player we have been searching for since 2011-

THE TIME IS NOW!!
    THIS MAKES THE CAPS A POTENTIALLY EXCITING TEAM TO WATCH AND TO BE THE UNDER-THE-RADAR TEAM IN MLS

carnifex2005 repped this.
  22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ This would make you a playoff team, for sure.

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    this is from GlassCity's research- forgot to mention that :

"The $5m the Caps have offered Gremio of Brazil for Jean Pyerre would be for 50% of his rights. This means that Gremio would get half of his next transfer fee should the Caps sell him at a later date."

24. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Apparently the Caps have made an offer to Santos as well...

25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Santos, farm team for Canadian MLS sides.