Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    • Ryan Raposo (Round 1, #4 MLS College draft)
    • Fourth overall and a mid/wing player which is what we need and a Canuck so domestic and Gen-A so no salary cap hit. I like it.

2. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    #1927 BearcatSA, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    I hope he does well. I wonder about how the other the young Cancon Academy guys will do this year, as well. Does Mukumbilwa actually become a factor in the squad rotation? Does Baldisimo follow his brother to Pacific FC during or after this season? What's happening with Colyn? In the bigger scheme of things, not gamebreakers but still something about which I am curious

Hopefully the pending Colombian winger signing is better than the likes of Venuto or Bangoura but they need another bona fide winger while the midfield is still a weakness on either side of In Beom. There is also no LB cover for Adnan and he struggled with some wear and tear during his long stretch of starts, only missing playing time due to card accumulation. I think we'll see the trend of close to the opening day type of signings.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    without major upgrades to the MF, the team will flounder- It seems unimaginable that this would happen... AGAIN - seeing a MF with teibert and rose- 2 top professionals without any game-changing skills- alongside in beom brings the haunts of 2019

and late signings always brings 3-4 months for the team to gel--- and by then, MDS might be gone and cavallini will be frustrated by the lack of service

after 3 months of globe-trotting to sign players, all MDS and his staff has to show for it is LC- gotta believe there are at least 2 more significant signings- beyond the player from Columbia- in the MF are coming

50 days until the season kicks off-- TICK, TICK, TICK

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    LC is not enough for me to open my wallet for year 42

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    In boem is stating that he wants to get to euro ASAP- we can expect him to go either in july or at the end of the season

I think he can be a BIG fish in a small pond in MLS, but a SMALL fish in a big pond in euro

but its his dream

6. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    He'll hopefully have had a proper offseason for re-generation but it's in his best interest to have as strong a season as possible in 2020 until whenever he leaves so he can enhance his transfer interest and value to the fullest.

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erice is out. Good luck to him. Wasn’t a good fit for MLS, imo.

8. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I expect to see some more key midfield signings hereafter. They had to move the cap hit first.

Next up: what's happening with Montero?

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    with erice gone, its saves $920K on the cap hit- its a win-win for player and club- I wonder if the Caps have to pick up some of his salary to make it work

who will be the #6 DMF? with a new RB coming in and jake is a back-up, and godoy is too slow on the outside, could eric be a #6

as far as Montero goes, I don't see any team taking on his almost $1 mill salary for his last contract year- buying him out gets us more cap money and another DP allocation -- depends which way you look at it-- I would keep him as a late sub or injury player and hope that with a better team\service, fredy can nick us some late goals

its a conundrum for the Caps

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    without an improved MF, the Caps will struggle again to be a serious playoff contender- cant believe that the Caps wouldn't fill the biggest void for improvement

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it’s only a win-win for Erice if he doesn’t lose money on the deal. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Caps are chipping in some money. Bringing him in was a huge miss, imo.

BearcatSA repped this.
  12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I meant to say godoy as the #6 player (not erice as he was not the right fit for MLS)

the only bad signing by MDS and the Caps left is fredy Montero- will it be coffee time for him or will he be in the mix ? giving up almost $1 mill in salary wont happen unless a deal is made- might as well keep him and hope he gets some mojo back with a better team and MF

MDS has to hit almost 100% in his new signings or he will be gone by june-july- this Club needs positive results, hope and belief

stay tuned as there has to be an impressive MF or 2 coming in, along with godoy, and the other 2 mentioned on GC

I still think that reyna could be our #10 as long as he doesn't try the solo approach (I think he did that in 2019 because he didn't have much to link up with); or he might still be traded for a player like julian gressel from atlanta

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2020/01/16/wfc-acquire-gutierrez

22 year old LB. Canadian/Chilean (moved to Chile at 3 years old), played in Chile's D1 for Colo-Colo, Union & Huachipato (who share the coolest logo in all pro sports with the Pittsburgh Steelers). Limited appearances but young and good cover for Adnan.

PS. Free transfer :)

14. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Good pick up.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I am wondering if MDS would experiment in moving ali adnan to LMF and let the more conservative Gutierrez do the LB position- ali does love to attack and can be a long way up the field in counter-attacks

16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Cristian dajome is the new signee, a speedy, experienced 26 year old winger from Colombia- looks like a + signing- TAM $$$ was used - looks a lot better than venuto and bangoura-- did some trolling:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cristian-dajome/profil/spieler/385454

I think MDS has done a lot better job of recruiting and time will tell if it can move the Caps up the competitive ladder- still need serious help in the MF

if we have teibert/rose as steadies in MF (and I respect both as good professionals), then the Caps will flounder

17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    That is an interesting idea. Hmmmm. You may be onto something there.
    That said we got a bona fide winger now who can play either side:
    https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2020/01/17/wfc-acquire-dajome

18. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'm still hoping for a young "Yaya Toure" clone :)
    But yea Russ and Andy are good cover but not what is needed to get to the next level.

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Possibly, but out of their base 4-3-3, if they find a strong, mobile midfield destroyer to be cognizant of Adnan's attacking sorties then that would help even more. And if this new Colombian winger likes to cut inland from the left, that would provide Adnan with even more attacking joy because I don't think Reyna's ever been that effective as a winger on the left (or the right, for that matter): he's used best in a central location, so the way it's looking right now, maybe he is the third member of the midfield as the central attacking/playmaking component? Wild guess there.

If they could get a Diego Chara-clone, that would be sweet: a hard rock ball winner with box to box range and quickness. Here's hoping.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I believe that sporting director, Axel Schuster, has hinted at some MF signing this coming week - it needs to be something significant

21. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    They are looking at Sissoko from Halifax Wanderers (shame they are not talking about the Sissoko playing for the Hotspurs in the EPL). He would be a decent DM but one I'd view as cover for a "young Yaya Toure" that I dream about being in a Caps uniform.

22. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    #1947 BearcatSA, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Realistically, he'd be depth guy but maybe he'll surprise, who knows? But they really need a bona fide starter in that spot.

Based on his most recent IG photos, Montero looks to be staying in Seattle keeping busy with his barista venture, so perhaps he's going to be bought out or traded? That'll free up some considerable cap space.

23. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
  24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    gressel has gone to DC